Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Default Blown away by 2001

Ive only just seen 2001 a space oddyssey in full yesterday after recording it on sky plus in my girlfriends folks house and also theyve got a big widescreen tv so thought Id watch it there, I have seen bits of it now and then, usually just seem to catch the ending when its on.

well apart from the story etc, which has been documented zillions of times and which I wont go into

the space shots absolutley blew me away!

I fully appreciate when it was made too which makes it even more incredible

I was even trying to spot some kit bits on some of the space vehicles, wish I could just sit back and enjoy the film without doing that

Ive got that sort of inquisitiveness to try and work out how shots where done too, the scenes where the astronaut is walking around inside as the ship is revolving was amazing.

I love the spookiness of Hal and all the details in the sets.

recognised leonard rossiter and ed bishop straight away too

the only thing that spoiled it was my girlfriend who wasnt really watching it with me, walking in and out or falling asleep and coming out with all sorts of negative comments about it! cant understand it, whats it about, I dont get it and so on, oh well, one for the DVD list in the future then I can watch it on my own in peace!

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

2001 is my all time obsession....even more so than Anderson.....I even have the film on 35mm anamorphic...all seven reels and have $6500 invested in Captain Cardboard's studio scale replicas.....if they ever get done.....only been waiting since 2001...really!
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Gerry Anderson Fan
Geological Technician

It is a brillant film, saw it first on film then for years watched it on video then saw it on dvd and remembered how good it looked. I mean sometimes when you watch a film on dvd you can see its imperfections or poor detailing but not on 2001, it just looks great.
Gerry Anderson Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Practically perfect!
Old 21-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

If I need inspiration I watch the Orion and Aries sequences.
I could invade a country single-handed after that...

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
EAGLEMAGNET
Eagle Pilot

I love the film, it is excellent and sets the standard for all Sci-Fi i'm sure The Command module inspired Mr Lucas to Create the Death Star... and as for the moon base... i see a striking similarity to Alpha, UNFORTUNATELY I HATE THE LAST HALF HOUR once Dave gets into the pod... it totally nosedives into boredom for me.

the zero gravity shots are a work of art and so are the special effects (appart from the last half hour)

I just cant believe how old the film is, it really looks like it was filmed 5 years ago !

One thing that makes the film look recent is all the TV Monitors look like flat panels, they dont have curved screens with rounded edges.
EAGLEMAGNET is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

I don't care fot the Stargate SFX....but like the beauty shots of the spacesuit in the hotel room....best spacesuit EVER!!!
Old 21-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
EAGLEMAGNET
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
2001 is my all time obsession....even more so than Anderson.....I even have the film on 35mm anamorphic...all seven reels and have $6500 invested in Captain Cardboard's studio scale replicas.....if they ever get done.....only been waiting since 2001...really!
$6500, whats the interest on that over 7 years ??

I admire your patience... i cant wait more than 2 weeks for anything !
Old 21-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Agree with all the above.
Its also a film that's a good illustration of how cinemas used to be run, and aren't any more.
Was waiting in the queue to see it back on its late 70's re-release, when marketed as some silly "before Star Wars there 2001" thing (resulting in a mass of little oiks expecting another slice of space opera), when the manager comes down the line saying to all the kids "really, you won't like it, you'll be bored...save your money... come back next week... i've got Battlestar Galactica".
Someone actually caring about their audience and the ambience of the auditorium.
Wouldn't happen now.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
EAGLEMAGNET
Eagle Pilot

I agree... but less of the Star Wars ... lets use Star Trek as an example instead...

BACAUSE STAR WARS IS MY RELIGION ! (Sith) down with ewoks, kill them all!

Old 21-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEMAGNET View Post

I just cant believe how old the film is, it really looks like it was filmed 5 years ago !

One thing that makes the film look recent is all the TV Monitors look like flat panels, they dont have curved screens with rounded edges.
totally agree with that

Im a big fan of the 1960s, and was expecting to see things to date the film, but couldnt really

love it

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
Ive only just seen 2001 a space oddyssey in full yesterday after recording it on sky plus in my girlfriends folks house and also theyve got a big widescreen tv so thought Id watch it there, I have seen bits of it now and then, usually just seem to catch the ending when its on.

well apart from the story etc, which has been documented zillions of times and which I wont go into

the space shots absolutley blew me away!

I fully appreciate when it was made too which makes it even more incredible

I was even trying to spot some kit bits on some of the space vehicles, wish I could just sit back and enjoy the film without doing that

Ive got that sort of inquisitiveness to try and work out how shots where done too, the scenes where the astronaut is walking around inside as the ship is revolving was amazing.

I love the spookiness of Hal and all the details in the sets.

recognised leonard rossiter and ed bishop straight away too

the only thing that spoiled it was my girlfriend who wasnt really watching it with me, walking in and out or falling asleep and coming out with all sorts of negative comments about it! cant understand it, whats it about, I dont get it and so on, oh well, one for the DVD list in the future then I can watch it on my own in peace!

Mike
My friend, welcome to the fold! You should seek out a rare showing of this in 70mm if you can. We had one here about 10 or so years back at a historic downtown theatre. Nothing like it!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Never had the chance to see it in 70mm....but remember well snaking my 35mm camera in a firing off a roll of film to capture various scenes. The results were not bad actually.
1/30th sec at f2 as I recall....a long way from DVD screen grabs.
I have it on HD DVD. I have a player in my computer but there's a problem with connecting it to the motherboard, (my computer's over 10 years old), so haven't been able to watch it yet.
Has anyone out there done any grabs off HD DVD or Blueray? Maybe you could post a few?
Old 22-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
Never had the chance to see it in 70mm....but remember well snaking my 35mm camera in a firing off a roll of film to capture various scenes. The results were not bad actually.
1/30th sec at f2 as I recall....a long way from DVD screen grabs.
I have it on HD DVD. I have a player in my computer but there's a problem with connecting it to the motherboard, (my computer's over 10 years old), so haven't been able to watch it yet.
Has anyone out there done any grabs off HD DVD or Blueray? Maybe you could post a few?
Will it really make that much of a difference over a DVD? We're all looking at this on PCs or maybe a mac or two, so will HD screen grabs look better?
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
Will it really make that much of a difference over a DVD? We're all looking at this on PCs or maybe a mac or two, so will HD screen grabs look better?
Not on a regular monitor....I'm thinking more along the lines of making hard copy prints off the grabs. Tried it from the regular DVD and they'll blow up to about 7 x 5 in....thought maybe I'd get 10x8 out of HD DVD

Old 22-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
TeamDavros
Hydroponics Technician

There are some screengrabs from the Blu-Ray release at http://flickr.com/photos/charletta/s...7604934008774/

See if you think the resolution is better than the standard DVD!

Owen
TeamDavros is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDavros View Post
There are some screengrabs from the Blu-Ray release at http://flickr.com/photos/charletta/s...7604934008774/

Owen
Thanks for that...I'll give it a whizz....much appreciated
Old 22-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #18
anubispro
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDavros View Post
Owen
OMG!!!
anubispro is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Hawk
Communications Officer

The largest size one's are going to make some modelers very happy!
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubispro View Post
OMG!!!
F**K ME.....just printed one out at A4 (11 x 8 in) on my photo printer......INCREDIBLE ....better than my prints taken off original 35mm film frames!
I've just found my HOLY S**T GRAIL.....and I KNOW HD DVD is even better quality than BLUE RAY......you can read the lettering on the arm unit!
BRING IT ON!!!