Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default PE Fireball, Stingray and Supercar

Having seen these items in the flesh, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they're not from Comet's vac formed kits. Stingray still strikes me as a little full in the front end but much better than expected. Fireball looks pretty good too and surprisingly heavy. I think I might be tempted.

I was saying at the con that PE set the bar so high with their initial release of the 12" Eagle that that became the standard we all expected. At the other end came the infamous weathering on the Mobile which ruined an otherwise sparkling little model.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the 23" Eagle is slightly better than I was expecting although I'm still disappointed that it couldn't be a lot better. Personally, I'm not convinced by the paint and markings but then again, perhaps we should be more generous in spirit. Who'd have thought there'd be an Eagle model this size thirty years later at all. Once upon a time we only had the Airfix kit and the Dinky die cast, neither of which were particular bastions of accuracy. Ho hum.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have to agree with you, the PE models are very good, in particular the Fireball, and I was also pleasantly surprised that the Stingray was a little larger than expected, originally it was only going to be around around 6" or so.

The Shado Mobiles are cracking models spoilt only by the camo scheme, errr sorry that should read weathering, however this is something that Corgi had a problem with on their Aviation Archive range of Classic and Modern aircraft, good idea having weathering, if it is done in moderation and done correctly, however like the Mobiles they were well OTT, so IMO they should leave well alone and let people who want weathering do it themselves.

As you also say, time was you had next to nothing or next to nothing to collect, just look at the choices now, so it is definately a case od being careful what you wish for.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

Default PE SHADO Mobile replacement Decals

Hi Guys...

I've been speaking to Jim at JBOT Decals about the possibility of replacement decals for the PE Mobiles that we all know and love.

I've sent Jim some scans of the PE model, together with a few quite low-res images of the studio models as that's all I have.

My first question is does anyone owning a PE Mobile live anywhere near Jim (London, Ontario, Canada) as he really needs to see one of these models for real to take measurements etc.

Second question is does anyone have any good quality images of the studio mobiles as we're trying to pin down all the markings including the crest on the rear of the vehicle (looking at the rear, to the lower right of the 'door' - circular crest).

It would be nice to be able to get a sheet of decals for all versions of Mobile (Control, 1, 2 and 3) so you could create a full set of beautiful models without all that crud sprayed all over them...

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Cheers

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Scanned without resizing at 400 dpi.

Old 24-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

You're a star !!!

Cheers Chris

Old 26-10-2005, 03:51 AM   #6
JBOT DECALS
Hydroponics Technician

Okay, I am going to make these decals. I have a page on my site already made, but you cannot order anything yet.

What scale are these models? What other models (other scales) exist?

Also, I need a few more photos for my instruction sheet. I will give credit to anyone whose photos I end up using.

Thanks.

Jimbo
JBOT DECALS
JBOT DECALS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Here's some top reference to kick things off. More will come I'm sure.

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...oMobileTop.htm
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

I've given Jim some close up shots and dimensions of the PE Mobile markings, but on looking at the excellent images on the website above, there are a few additional decals required (stencil data etc), and some of those on the PE are slightly mis-sized - just an observation...

Had you picked up on this Jim...it's worth comparing what I sent you with these images to make a few corrections. There are not many markings overall so it should be fairly easy to identify what's what.

(EDIT - See post below for pics)

By the way, for scale, the PE Mobile model is 169mm long.

Regards

Chris
Old 26-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
w8cmp
Science Officer

I noticed the registration plate on some of these photos reads: 224579 (SHADO 1) and 579224 (SHADO 3)

We also need numbers for the other two mobiles (SHADO 2 & Control) identified in the series...any suggestions at what numbers should be included.

One would guess that they would be variations of these same six digits as the decal was obviously taken from a kit of the time (don't know which though - any ideas ?)

Chris
Old 26-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Right - here's some images which illustrate the markings on the PE model compared to the originals...

Original

PE

Original

PE

Original

PE

Original

PE Overall view

Hope this is of some help...

Chris

Old 26-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
ukwookie
Alphan

The numberplates are taken from the tail markings of the Airfix B-29 Superfortress kit, which also provides the black 'square' marking below the cockpit window.

Tony
ukwookie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Cheers - that pins the font for this down to USAF WWII tail registrations - whatever that was...

Do you have any font like that in your library Jim...?
Old 26-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I see the aim behind this place is working nicely!

Them scans work well.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It's possible the small white lettering stencils are the fine print from the bottom of white Letraset sheets.
Old 26-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #15
TonyB
Forum Supporter

This place is working just fine, this is just what was needed, a place to get help and information easily, this site will become a highly valuble resource in the fullness of time.

The decal idea is looking just great too, I am really surprised at how quickly ideas are being turned into reality on here, great stuff.

Old 26-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
JBOT DECALS
Hydroponics Technician

Wow, great stuff!

I dont want to just reproduce what is on the PE model; I want to reproduce what was on the original from the show. Comparative photos like these are perfect.

I have over 1000 fonts on my computer. I often end up using USAF, Amarillo, US Stencil, RAF, and CAF.

I even have lots of sheets of Letraset from the 1970s with the disclaimer and copyright notices at the bottom.

Do other model in other scales exist? Would you say the PE model is 1/48th ?

Jimbo
JBOT DECALS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The old Dinky one is 83% the size of the PE one by length. There's no reason that the decal sheet couldn't be reduced for this model too given that a number of people have repainted their original green (?) Dinky versions blue. I believe the Imai kit is the same size as the Dinky too?
Old 26-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Looking at the crew inside, it's not too far away from 1:48, but I don't believe anyone has come up with a 'real world' measurement for the mobile's length have they ?

I have what's supposed to be a 'studio scale' model which I'm building too, and I know that a lot of people have scratchbuilt studio scale replicas, so a set of decals in their original full size would be very good... (Model is 20" long - don't know the scale !).

Apart from the B-29 markings, anyone know what other decal sheets were used (if any). It's just possible I might have the correct model in my stock in the loft...
Old 26-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Hawk Kamen Huskie supplies that round one. The white stencil on the oval plate just above the rear registration number comes from the UPC/LifeLike Honest John kit. The last number is snipped off to make it fit (it now reads U. S. A. 55136). This does rather suggest that some of the other stencils come from decals.
Old 26-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #20
TonyB
Forum Supporter

The old Imai injection plastic kit is just about to 1/48th scale, not completely accurate but its close enough. I built quite a few UFO dioramas using the Mobile and to add SHADO personal and Aliens I used converted 1/48th scale white metal modern aircrew and ground crew figures from a comapny called Airwaves, they looked to be just about the right size.

However the PE Mobile is a bit larger than the Imai plastic kit and the figures look to be slightly larger than 1/48th. I think that quite a few of the PE models were designed to fit the box rather than be a specific scale as such.