SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Default DINKY FAB 1 help

Hello!

I'm trying to restore a DINKY FAB 1 in very poor condition (I love that kind of job) and wonder if you guys kow of a website where I could find good reference material. The same applies to the CORGI Batmobile.

I'm looking too for a good source of replacement parts.

Any help pleeease?

Thanks in advance!
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

Although this isn't a referral to specific website, you may wish to track down the November 2001 issue of Model Collector Magazine, which contains a blow-by-blow restoration article by Pete Elmore.

All the best with your resto!
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

You'll find a good selection of replacement parts here:

http://model-supplies.co.uk/

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks a bunch! But maybe a few good pictures will suffice. I'll track the mag anyway.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

ToyTinker also has bits as does Recover Toy. I love this sort of stuff and have done up a Fab 1 and many batmobiles if you have any questions. The ToyTinker site still has an excelent tutorial on restoring batmobiles

http://www.toytinker.co.uk/index.php

Just head for Corgi, then press on the picture of the batmobile and on the left of the parts page at the bottom you'll see the links to the tutorials.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Tony, I knew about Toytinkers. Do you know which materials they work with? Are the windscreens cast resin or plastic?

My Batmobile is a late model with "wizzer" wheels which I was thinking to exchange with "bat-logo" wheels. Are their wheels good?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Email Darren and ask him for a set of original ones. (make sure the rear set has the cog in the middle for the flame) He has these and will do you a good price. You can be lucky with after market ones or get crap so the originals are the way to go. The tutorial shows you how to do the conversion, and all you need is the flame. Not sure about the windscreens, I'd ask.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks again!

By the way, what's the difference between the three CORGI James Bond DB5 references?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They made the DB5 The Celica and the Lotus and I think Darren has parts for all three.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

What I mean is that the DB5 had three different references (261, 270, 271). All of them look the same (except for the golden paintwork in the 261), but I don't know if there are structural differences between them

Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Sorry, yes, the gold one is a good bit smaller, the standard silver one brought out at the time of the movie and afterwards comes in a number of versions, with fix number plate or turning number plates, and chain cutters on the wheels. The smaller gold version has these as well. In the 80s Corgi did a larger re-issue which just had the ejector seat, extending guns and shield of the older smaller ones but not the number plate thingy or the rubber tyres of the originals, it comes with whiz wheels.

So the three, are the small gold one, the standard silver one with various variations and the larger re-issue.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks very much Tony, everything is obvious now. Darren has three different pages for the three different references, and all the parts looked the same to me. Not anymore!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
mclank
Travel Tube Technician

I've also been looking for help in restoring my Thunderbird 2 Dinky. Here is what I found that might be of help to you:

1) http://www.dinky-collector.co.uk/ - Scroll down on the left to "How to restore Models" to see a step by step restore tutorial. It also has a tutorial on making your own decals.

2) http://diecastrestorations.myfreeforum.org/ - This forum has a section on Diecast restorations

3) http://www.dinkytoyguy.com/DiecastRestos.html - This guy explains briefly the process he goes through to restore his models.
mclank is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks again guys! Could you tell me what is the size difference between the three DB5? In other words, would a 270 / 271 fit in an original repro box?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Not having one in front of me, the small gold one is roughly half way between a matchbox and a corgi, the middle one (the best in my estimation) is standard corgi and the larger one is Matchbox SuperKing size. The best thing to do is email ToyTinker or which ever dealer you're using and ask

They're great links too mclank, I've seen 3. before and have come across
2. , but 1. I haven't seen so thanks for that.

BTW mclank If you ever come across some decent legs for the first and second ed (smaller) Dinky TB2s, please let me know because the soft plastic bendy things that sellers provide are most annoying.... to put it nicely.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
mclank
Travel Tube Technician

Ok, I will keep an eye open - they are rather flimsy. On my 101, I have 2 legs left and I find that the ones offered (like here: http://www.recovertoy.com/shop/produ...roducts_id=910) seem to have thicker feet and look a bit sturdier than the originals. Hard to tell for sure from a photo though.
mclank is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They'll be the 106 legs. In the 70s, Dinky did a very sensible upgrade, which was all larger, all metal like the originals, with sturdy yellow legs. Sadly they painted it blue and for then for the 2nd 106 issue gave it a black plastic base (eventually a white base near the end of the run) and red legs.

These red legs were put onto some of the last all metal 106's (nice find if you see a good example on ebay) and eventually Dinky also did a limited run of red 106 Pod doors (normally black) on the last white plastic based 106s (also a really nice find on ebay if you can get hold of a good one)

Collectors rather like to mix and match so you have to be wary if people are selling "super rare" items that don't follow the general pattern. You don't find an all metal 106 with red legs and a red pod door because the red pod doors hadn't been made yet. I'd love to make up this configuration as it looks way cool, but I could never pass it off as original... as a restorer of wrecks that's not an issue for me and I wouldn't be selling it anyway, but a buyer would be way peed off.)

You can also get the thinner 101 legs from recovertoy, but as I complained, they're not that sturdy. I have two good original legs and one bent one, so one day I may pick up two good originals and bring my 101 closer to original.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig View Post
Thanks again guys! Could you tell me what is the size difference between the three DB5? In other words, would a 270 / 271 fit in an original repro box?
It's unlikely you'll get the later silver version into the box of the earlier gold version.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ture. I was taken aback when I first saw how small the gold ones actually were.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
SMS88
Waste Technician

I see Corgi oo7 Aston DB5s (all 3 different castings) Dinky Eagles (especially late issue Transporters) and Corgi 267 Batmobiles at bootsales and toyfairs for 5-20 for examples which are between 80-95% complete with original paint and tyres.I choose to work a little extra overtime and hunt for good original toys rather than restore beaters with repro-parts which usually cost more than a complete original, but thats just me.....
Decent Dinky Thunderbird 2s are harder to comeby however so all I have are pair of podless wrecks,one green,one blue, 1 each.....
SMS88 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote