SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Default SPACE 1999 HARD TO FIND BOOKS

Help needed please...

I have finally managed to get most of the Space 1999 novels through a combination of using ebay, amazon and abe-books.

However I have not been able to find the following -

1. Born For Adversity by David A Mcintee (a year 3 book Spring 2006 ?)

2. Space 1999 - The Future is Fantastic (non-fiction book)

3. The Year 2 rewritten Omnibus by Michael Butterworth

Any help / or info. regarding these would be greatly appreciated - as I'm sure there must be some Space 1999 book experts out there...
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

I'm certainly no expert, but:

1) Not yet released. PowysMedia's website is, as I suspect you have seen, out of date; however, the publisher is a essentially a one-man operation who does an amazing job with what he has so I expect it to be published eventually.

2) Very rare. I believe it was pulled from circulation due to copyright issues.

3) Also from PowysMedia. 200 books total were published. I haven't seen anywhere that they were all sold, and that page on the Powys website is 'live' and linked to the checkout page, but I'm unsure if they are still available.

http://www.powysmedia.com/ (follow the links for S99 books)

Mateo Latosa of Powys used to post with some regularity on the old S99 Net Forum, and still does on occasion on the OnlineAlpha list where he gives updates. As I seem unable to find any live email links at the Powys site, the only thing I can think of off hand is to perhaps send a private message via OnlineAlpha. http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/OnlineAlpha/

Best of luck.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Thanks Cricket - very helpful information.
Old 18-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
martin
Medical Technician

Not sure about Born for Adversity, but I've read Bill Latham's Omega
It should be ready soon...

There's also some other news on the book front I can't tell you yet
(it's not about my own book )
martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Thanks Cricket - very helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
... I've read Bill Latham's Omega
It should be ready soon...
Good news.

Quote:
There's also some other news on the book front I can't tell you yet
Oh? A vague clue perhaps??

Quote:
(it's not about my own book )
Dang. My coffee table is awaiting book!

Old 24-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
ultra
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
I have finally managed to get most of the Space 1999 novels through a combination of using ebay, amazon and abe-books.
just curious if you've picked up all the German and Italian books as well?
I was able to get the 12 German books fairly quickly and easily, but it took me quite some time to finally get all 12 of the Italian Year 1books. Book 6 was very elusive for some reason.

Last edited by ultra; 25-08-2008 at 12:07 AM.
ultra is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
just curious if you've picked up all the German and Italian books as well?
I was able to get the 12 German books fairly quickly and easily, but it took me quite some time to finally get all 12 of the Italian Year 1books. Book 6 was very elusive for some reason.
Hi Ultra - no, I haven't bothered to get those ones as I don't understand German or Italian, so couldn't see the point really.

I did once see the German set for sale on ebay a few months ago.

If these are ever translated and published in English, I would certainly try and get them. Does anyone know if that is likely to happen ?
Old 25-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
martin
Medical Technician

Quote:
If these are ever translated and published in English, I would certainly try and get them. Does anyone know if that is likely to happen ?
Some of the German books are translations of the English novels, so there's not much point translating them back
For translations of the original German novels - see Ultra himself:
http://www.space1999.net/~mondstation/mondstation.html

The Italian books have dozens of large colour photographs throughout.
martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Great site, that! I only wish the updates were a little more frequent. (Pesky real life getting in the way of our favourite sf!)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

The responses to your questions appear to be correct. However, Telos UK IS publishing (very soon) "Destination Moonbase Alpha", a "definitive" guide to the series. Should be published soon.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Regarding the Year Two Omnibus book, it is still available from Powys. I've noticed that Mateo is occasionally listing and selling copies on eBay (at a discounted price from that listed on the Powys site). If you haven't picked it up yet, that would be a good place to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
The responses to your questions appear to be correct. However, Telos UK IS publishing (very soon) "Destination Moonbase Alpha", a "definitive" guide to the series. Should be published soon.
Yes, indeed. Telos is publishing "Destination: Moonbase Alpha - The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Space: 1999" in the near future. Check out my website at www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net for more information, and updates as they happen.

This new book will make the search for my earlier book "The Future Is Fantastic" completely pointless. The new book is far, far superior in every way. D:MBA is based on the framework of TFIF, but has been through almost total re-writing, re-imagining, and extensive expansion, as well as thorough editing and fact checking (the earlier TFIF included a couple of factual errors, unfortunately).

Whether D:MBA will be considered "definitive" or not is up to others to determine. But I feel confidently hopeful that the book will be well received by my fellow Alphans.

The release date is still a bit vague, but the official word from Telos is "early 2010". I'll keep everyone posted.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
Regarding the Year Two Omnibus book, it is still available from Powys. I've noticed that Mateo is occasionally listing and selling copies on eBay (at a discounted price from that listed on the Powys site). If you haven't picked it up yet, that would be a good place to look.

Yes, indeed. Telos is publishing "Destination: Moonbase Alpha - The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Space: 1999" in the near future. Check out my website at www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net for more information, and updates as they happen.

This new book will make the search for my earlier book "The Future Is Fantastic" completely pointless. The new book is far, far superior in every way. D:MBA is based on the framework of TFIF, but has been through almost total re-writing, re-imagining, and extensive expansion, as well as thorough editing and fact checking (the earlier TFIF included a couple of factual errors, unfortunately).

Whether D:MBA will be considered "definitive" or not is up to others to determine. But I feel confidently hopeful that the book will be well received by my fellow Alphans.

The release date is still a bit vague, but the official word from Telos is "early 2010". I'll keep everyone posted.
Oh, Man! Last time Ichecked the Twlos website, it said it would see D:MBA would see release..NOW!! (Fall, 2009). Man, I'm gettin' impatient!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #13
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
Oh, Man! Last time Ichecked the Twlos website, it said it would see D:MBA would see release..NOW!! (Fall, 2009). Man, I'm gettin' impatient!
Actually, the Telos website does still say Autumn 2009... but it just hasn't been updated. Official word is "early 2010", but if the MUF is on our side there still might be a possibility of the first copies seeing the light of day before the end of this year... but please don't hold me to that. It's just a possibility.

Good things come to those who wait. And thanks for your enthusiasm David!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
cricket
Medical Officer

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Fingers crossed.
All 10 of 'em...I WANT THIS BOOK but, I hesitate to "pre-order"...never know when they might cancel the project...like Powys Medias' "Space:1999 Concordance" which STILL hasn't seen the light of day. I talked to Martin at "Catacombs" & he says he sent in his manuscript for that project back in 2006!! WHERE ARE THESE FREAKIN' BOOKS?!?!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
All 10 of 'em...I WANT THIS BOOK but, I hesitate to "pre-order"...never know when they might cancel the project...like Powys Medias' "Space:1999 Concordance" which STILL hasn't seen the light of day. I talked to Martin at "Catacombs" & he says he sent in his manuscript for that project back in 2006!! WHERE ARE THESE FREAKIN' BOOKS?!?!
For what it's worth David, I'd say you have no worry about pre-ordering the book. Telos is a reputable company that have been around for years, and my book is not being cancelled! (Well, having said that, I'll knock on wood - best not to tempt the fates!) At best, you will be waiting about 3 months. At worst, you'll be waiting a little bit longer.... My book was only announced this past May (about 4 1/2 months ago), so the wait hasn't been that long. Of course, I've been working on it MUCH longer. My wait to see it in print has been longer than yours!

I can't speak for Martin, or for Powys, but I would certainly be among the first to purchase his book if it ever sees print. Martin's knowledge of 1999 is awesome, and I'm extremely thankful to him for assisting me with an edit of my D:MBA manuscript. But, yes, some of the Powys books have been announced for years, and they're still not here. Your frustration is understandable.

Don't worry about D:MBA, though - it's going to be out soon. And I hope you're going to love it!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
For what it's worth David, I'd say you have no worry about pre-ordering the book. Telos is a reputable company that have been around for years, and my book is not being cancelled! (Well, having said that, I'll knock on wood - best not to tempt the fates!) At best, you will be waiting about 3 months. At worst, you'll be waiting a little bit longer.... My book was only announced this past May (about 4 1/2 months ago), so the wait hasn't been that long. Of course, I've been working on it MUCH longer. My wait to see it in print has been longer than yours!

I can't speak for Martin, or for Powys, but I would certainly be among the first to purchase his book if it ever sees print. Martin's knowledge of 1999 is awesome, and I'm extremely thankful to him for assisting me with an edit of my D:MBA manuscript. But, yes, some of the Powys books have been announced for years, and they're still not here. Your frustration is understandable.

Don't worry about D:MBA, though - it's going to be out soon. And I hope you're going to love it!
You mean...YOU are the actual author? COOL!! So, if you are, your word is good then. Very reassuring...

You're right about Martins' efforts...He has done such an incredible job with the CATACOMBS site. He's been adding my contributions/observations to the episode guides. So far, I've found "oversights & production errors" from four or five episodes..."Collision Course", "Black Sun", "End Of Eternity", "Exiles" & "One Moment Of Humanity"...

By the way...did you happen to see my thread called "EAGLE COUNTDOWN"? I know Martin did a countdown of Eagles that got blown away on his site but, MY effort was to determine how many Eagles Moonbase Alpha had to start with at the time of "Breakaway". I submitted it, as an article, to Fanderson & they were supposed to run it but, I don't think they're going to.

Care to see a copy? I still have the master...
Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
You mean...YOU are the actual author? COOL!! So, if you are, your word is good then. Very reassuring...
Yes - I'm Robert Wood, and "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" is my book.

Quote:
By the way...did you happen to see my thread called "EAGLE COUNTDOWN"? I know Martin did a countdown of Eagles that got blown away on his site but, MY effort was to determine how many Eagles Moonbase Alpha had to start with at the time of "Breakaway". I submitted it, as an article, to Fanderson & they were supposed to run it but, I don't think they're going to.

Care to see a copy? I still have the master...
No, I didn't see your Eagle Countdown thread. Your article sounds interesting - sure, send it on to me - I'd enjoy reading it. If Fanderson isn't going to publish it, you might consider submitting it to other publications, such as Andersonic. They might be interested. Their website is andersonic.co.uk .
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default DESTINATION:MOONBASE ALPHA

Quote:
Actually, the Telos website does still say Autumn 2009... but it just hasn't been updated. Official word is "early 2010", but if the MUF is on our side there still might be a possibility of the first copies seeing the light of day before the end of this year... but please don't hold me to that. It's just a possibility.

Good things come to those who wait. And thanks for your enthusiasm David!
Robert, I wait with great expectations for D:MA.:thumbup:
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Yes - I'm Robert Wood, and "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" is my book.

No, I didn't see your Eagle Countdown thread. Your article sounds interesting - sure, send it on to me - I'd enjoy reading it. If Fanderson isn't going to publish it, you might consider submitting it to other publications, such as Andersonic. They might be interested. Their website is andersonic.co.uk .
Cool! Would you like me to fax it or mail it? I'll need either your address or your fax number. If you don't want to put this info on the site, you can send it to my e-mail address at dsobral@fycintl.com.
I'd be thrilled if you read it. I've let some of my friends read it & they got a big kick out of it. It's rather tongue-in-cheek...