Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Hawk
Communications Officer

Default Hurricane Gustav

I, and at least one other member on this board, am directly in the cross hairs of Hurricane Gustav. We live outside the New Orleans area, but within 30 miles or so. My family has lived here for a few generations and we have never had to worry about water as my home is 7 foot above sea level and nowhere near the coast, but this time they tell us our homes stand a good chance of being flooded anyway. For those of you with religious inclinations, prayers are welcome. I really don't want to see if my Eagles can swim...

I will be riding the storm out at my job in the New Orleans area. I should be okay as I will be in a complex that is above sea level and survived Katrina with practically no damage. That is no guarantee for this time, but I feel safe there. Still, this is the most scared I have been of a hurricane in my 47 years on this planet.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Man that's shitty news. Keep those eagles safe whatever you do... actually keep you and yours safe, that's absolutely first priority. I hate to tell people they're in my prayers (sounds corny) ... but you are. Keep us informed about how you are if you can
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

We pray for all of you to be safe. I'm sure we'll get around to seeing Gustov here as well, in one form or another.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Both of you down there in the Gulf Region take care. This is a scary one. And like Tony, corny or not, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us up to date as you can on how you are doing.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I hope EVERYONE in the region avoids any trouble. Not something you would wish on anybody. Let's hope it fizzles before it reaches land.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

That is really bad news, I hope you and your family Hawk ,and anyone else in the path of that bloody storm manage to make it through without too much peril to persons and property (including Eagles). After what New Orleans has been through once already this seems just so unfair!!
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Hawk, I think it's time for operation Exodus. You are welcome to come to B'ham if you wish. Phone me at 205-838-1983 if you head this way.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
shadopilot
Communications Officer

I know the feeling. I went through 'Charlie' here in Florida. We are feeling the outer bands of 'Gustav' as I type this. There is another storm looking like it might hit Miami later this week.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Hawk
Communications Officer

That's a very generous offer, Tim, but I'll be working through the storm. I am an Information Technology manager at one of the area's biggest hospitals and I will be on the 3rd floor of a bldg that is well above sea level and has its own power and water supplies. I volunteered to work so that I could stay close to my home and get back there as soon as possible (instead of evac'ing and maybe not getting back there for several days or even longer). I should be quite safe through the storm. It's what will be happening to my home and neighborhood that worries me the most.

My wife and children all left town to stay with relatives in safer places 48 hours ago.

I will be reporting to work in 5-6 hours and will stay there 24 hours a day until they no longer need me and it is safe to leave.
Old 31-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

Good luck!!
My house is in central Florida so this time of year is always a worry.

L
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

just like to echo everyones posts above and wish you all the best

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Living in the Southeastern U.S.,I can appreciate what people along the Gulf Coast are going through,having lived through Hugo in 1989 and Fran in 1996 and I live 200 miles inland. I will keep everybody in the path of this killer hurricane in my thoughts and prayers.
eagleman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
DSJ
Computer Technician

Be safe for those that are staying, man this thing is nasty. All the best & thoughts and prayers from Canada. Godspeed, please report when you can that you are safe.

DSJ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thinking of you even here in Switzerland and wishing you all the best. Really hope that all are safe.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
hwels
Communications Officer

The same from us here in the Netherlands. We are following the news ...
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, the news is not good... thinking of you all at present. Reading today how all the presidential hopefuls are flocking to the scene... electioneering in the middle of a disaster is poor sport as far as I'm concerned.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
Hawk
Communications Officer

This is Hawk, checking in. Gustav is about to make landfall--early!--and weaker than expected. Early reports coming in are that storm surge, wind, and rain are all going to be less than expected. The storm did not strengthen as much as predicted.

There is still going to be massive flooding, don't get me wrong, but the city of New Orleans should be okay. Surrounding areas are going to take the brunt of this more than the city.

Still have power and am safe where I am, just outside the city of New Orleans. We still have a LONG way to go (several more hours at least), but it is looking somewhat more hopeful now to all of us here in Louisiana.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Take pictures. There's something fascinating about weather on this scale that gives you a true perspective about how small we are compared with the planet.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
David
Astrophysics Technician

I wish you safety and hope that your home comes out of it unscathed. Take care.
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
Hawk
Communications Officer

We are now on the back side of the storm. Ironically, the wind is stronger now than on the front side of the storm. No trouble riding the storm out here at my office.

The news that is coming in from all areas is quite positive. While there will be flooded homes and infrastructure, Gustav is not going to cause anywhere near the damage they feared. This is because it weakened during its last day before landfall instead of strengthening as they expected.

I may be able to get back to my home tomorrow some time to see if there is any damage there (if the authorities allow). I have heard from a reliable source, however, that we did not experience any flooding.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishing--it appears it worked!