Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
David
Astrophysics Technician

Default "2055: VOYAGE TO MARS" - DVD

Hi everyone,

Its just an idea at the moment, but would anyone be interested in buying a DVD of my film, "2055: Voyage to Mars"? (provided it was reasonably priced).

The DVD would have a colour printed cover and DVD sticker. 'Special Features' would consist of a "behind the scenes" slideshow, deleted scenes and out takes and also the possibility (I haven't made one yet) of a audio commentary by myself (and a friend or two perhaps).

Also, after discussions with a couple of people there are certain shots that I am going to tweak or re-do. So there would be a George Lucas style "special edition" version of the film, as well as the "original release" (heh heh). There is also the possibility of an alternate soundtrack (not sure how the copyright stuff with music is going to go).

If I was selling this DVD the I wouldn't put anything else on Youtube. The version of the film that is up just now would be it.

If you would be interested please say (can you make a poll somehow?)
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
David
Astrophysics Technician

By the way, i'm not asking for buyers yet, just a general show of hands of interest.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
cricket
Medical Officer

Interested.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
David
Astrophysics Technician

I made a poll.

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/355497
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I voted for 'yes'
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Stu73
Communications Officer

As a fellow movie maker and DVD enthusiast, DEFO interested!!!

As for copyright, you can use any music you want in your own production; but NOT if you intend to sell them...
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Just voted with an enthusiastic YES!
Definitely want one.
Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Hi David,

For amateur film makers there is a great resource of music in the Creative Commons Music genre.

Creative Commons is a license that composers use to share and spread their music. The cost? Usually a simple credit in your production as in Music by and the name of their website. A large amount is also available for those who wish to sell their films. You can find all you need to know as well as links to Composer's sites by searching Creative Commons Music in any search engine.

Personally I can recommend, Justin R Durbin, as He supplied the music for a DVD portfolio I produced for a photographer friend. He offers a wide range of moods in his compositions.

Justin is the composer for the online Star Trek films as well as a very impressive list of other films and games. Do not be put off by his talent or his involvement with the projects listed, or the fact that He comercially sells his music. He is very approachable, helpful and giving of himself and his talent to help you.

http://www.edgen.com/music/

Again, try the Creative Commons Music search, it is a great resource for film makers.
RussellE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
David
Astrophysics Technician

cricket, hwels, Stu73 and Eagletransporter,

Thanks for your interest!

RussellE,

This looks like some very interesting advice you've given me. Thanks. I'm going to look into it and I'll let you know what comes of it. I don't think the film will be anywhere as good without the real classical music score, but then it is illegal.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
cricket, hwels, Stu73 and Eagletransporter,

Thanks for your interest!

RussellE,

This looks like some very interesting advice you've given me. Thanks. I'm going to look into it and I'll let you know what comes of it. I don't think the film will be anywhere as good without the real classical music score, but then it is illegal.
ONLY if you are selling them

Old 22-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Just thought I'd give this thread a nudge.

Regarding the music copyright issue, have you tried contacting the record company ? May be they might be willing to allow you to use the music for a limited release. Possibly if it was done through the college where you were studying, splitting the proceeds ?
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
alphachild
Life Support Technician

I too am interested. Just say when. Thnx
alphachild is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
ONLY if you are selling them
No, technically making any copies of the music for other people free of charge is still infringing regardless of whether it come with pictures. The copyright on "The Blue Danube" as a creative work has long expired but there is still a copyright covering the particular arrangement/recording that's been used. Whether anyone is likely to enforce it is another matter. If David assembled his own orchestra and recorded his own version, he could use that without any fear of legal comeback. No, I'm not suggesting he does. I'm just illustrating how copyright works.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 22-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
alphachild
Life Support Technician

what about film with no music and we supply our own. Anything is possible. What type of music would anyone suggest to fill in. My son-in-law is good with electronic piano and adding sounds and its like new age music.
Old 22-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
alphachild
Life Support Technician

Had a space brain moment. Almost posted same item twice. Just a thought earlier post. giggles

Old 23-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

David's images with no soundtrack would be fine from a legal point of view but I don't think it's an appealing option. In practice I don't personally see David supplying a few disks to fans with a soundtrack is likely to damage Deutsche Grammophon irrevocably. My comments were more about the notion that supplying them for free makes it legal.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
No, technically making any copies of the music for other people free of charge is still infringing regardless of whether it come with pictures. The copyright on "The Blue Danube" as a creative work has long expired but there is still a copyright covering the particular arrangement/recording that's been used. Whether anyone is likely to enforce it is another matter. If David assembled his own orchestra and recorded his own version, he could use that without any fear of legal comeback. No, I'm not suggesting he does. I'm just illustrating how copyright works.
I made a DVD of my trip behind the scenes to the 2007 War of the worlds show in Glasgow and Birmingham. It was my attempt at a video diary/documentary type of thing.
Anyway, this is all fine and dandy with the music and stage show and stuff. I can copy them and let people see them, but I CANNOT sell them, as I do not own the copyright to the works being depicted i.e. the stageshow and music.
Old 23-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
.... as I do not own the copyright to the works being depicted i.e. the stageshow and music.
Q.E.D.

Regardless whether you sell them or give them.

Firstly, did the production know you were filming the show itself? I'm guessing they didn't.

Secondly, personal use means personal use. Personal use doesn't mean duplicating and distributing to others for their use. If you DO own the copyright to all the contents of the video, you can make and distribute as many as you like quite legally.

Here's the problem. If you film the first screening (or indeed any screening) of a movie in a cinema as a 'documentary', or a musical concert, does the fact it's a 'documentary' allow you to then make multiple copies of what you filmed to give to other people? The answer is no. You could film the audience beforehand and afterwards and possibly even the artists back stage but you couldn't include any part of the performance without the management agreeing since it would be an unauthorised recording.

The only exceptions to reproducing copyrighted works are under fair use rules. These roughly speaking are for the purposes of review as in reviewing the film in a TV show or newspaper, or for educational purposes as in a film studies course. In both of these cases, there are still limits to what you can reproduce without the express permission of the rights owner. There are pages and pages about copyright on the internet that are worth reading. Don't deceive yourself that not charging for something makes you safe. It doesn't, otherwise every person and his mother would be copying the latest CD's and DVD's to distribute to all their friends. If you reproduce and distribute any part of a copyrighted performance outside of the fair use rules (and the judge who will look at the evidence is not stupid), you can be prosecuted.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 23-09-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 23-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
Stu73
Communications Officer

[quote=DX-SFX;82507]Q.E.D.

Firstly, did the production know you were filming the show itself? I'm guessing they didn't.

QUOTE]

Well Jeff wayne and the show's producer were standing in front of the camera at the time looking into it; and the former even took pictures for me...
The actual performance was controlled by the rules of the venue itself, i.e. NO Pictures what so ever in SECC but at the NEC it was simply NO FLASH photography
Old 23-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Q.E.D.

If you reproduce and distribute any part of a copyrighted performance outside of the fair use rules (and the judge who will look at the evidence is not stupid), you can be prosecuted.
Well it's not as if I am going to put DVDs on ebay or YouTube