Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
LastGuardian
Hydroponics Technician

Default 12'' MPC Eagle Build

Well, I'm still in the process of gathering materials, but this should be a doozy of a project.

I'm building up an MPC Eagle for an article I'm writing, to be published later in the year. My intent is not only to accurize the kit to an extent, but to include Year 1 cockpit, service module and mission module interiors, including lighting. I'm still determining just how to shape (and remove) the necessary panels for viewing.

Where possible, I'd like to modify the kit parts rather than replace them altogether. However, Plastruct domes, tube, rod and discs will replace the engines and helium spheres supplied with the kit. I'm also considering Jim Small's excellent metal bells and VTOLs. I don't wish to redo the kit so much that it loses its MPC charm (call me sentimental, but I've always been fond of this kit), but it should be a lot closer in appearance to the original filming models when I'm done.

I suppose a few liberties will be necessary in order to accommodate the interiors, such as structuring the aft end of the command module to include the #6 door. I'll be scaling everything to utilize MPC's Moonbase Alpha figures. I'm also fond of the rescue Eagle, so I plan to include the red stripes on the exterior.

Wish me luck! If anyone here has approached the kit in like manner and has any heads-up suggestions, I'd sure welcome them.

Shane
LastGuardian is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
doon
Communications Officer

LG,
That is one impressive undertaking
Best of luck and keep us posted
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
LastGuardian
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks, Doon. Will do.

I plan to use my old Mattel Vac-U-Form to make some of the interior parts, and warm white LEDs for the lighting. Making the command module removable and giving it an interior will require a bit of engineering -- I hope it can be done on this scale.

Shane
Old 27-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
CR
Science Officer

Many years ago, the magazine Fine Scale Modeler (Kalmbach Publishing) had an article about an Eagle upgrade, with lots of pics. No interior work was done, but the exterior looked great and even had working landing gear. About the only thing he didn't do with his kit was correct the width of the main support truss (spine)... its top should be a little narrower than what the kit has. (I believe the guy kept the original plastic engine bells, by the way.)
I don't believe there is an online archive of their articles, but I'd be happy to help you out if I can... I'll PM you with details.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

By the way, The Catacombs has plenty of reference photos for interior details. http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ide/uc110.html

Also, since you're scaling your Eagle to the Alpha kit figures, maybe Roberto Baldassari's blueprints & cutaway poster might come in handy. (Bear in mind, he changed some details to get his interior to fit, but judge for yourself whether or not you want to exactly follow his lead.) http://www.space1999.net/~eagle/
The black & white prints of Baldassari's are available at CultTVman's online store. http://www.culttvman.net/shopping/sh...asp?Search=Yes

Old 27-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Many years ago, the magazine Fine Scale Modeler (Kalmbach Publishing) had an article about an Eagle upgrade, with lots of pics. No interior work was done, but the exterior looked great and even had working landing gear. About the only thing he didn't do with his kit was correct the width of the main support truss (spine)... its top should be a little narrower than what the kit has. (I believe the guy kept the original plastic engine bells, by the way.)
I don't believe there is an online archive of their articles, but I'd be happy to help you out if I can... I'll PM you with details.

I've been organizing all my Eagle reference materials, have this article on my desk right now. Also have the Centuri Flying Eagle Instructions and decals if inyone iws interested.
Spacecraft Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
LastGuardian
Hydroponics Technician

Now that you mention it, CR, I have that article and will certainly make good use of it.

I'm undecided whether to alter the spine width on the kit. I don't want to reduce the strength of the part, since it will need to support the weight of the heavier mission module (with batteries and all) I'll be creating.

I'll follow Roberto's work to an extent, but I'll more closely utilize my own Eagle drawings, which I drew some time back.

Shane
Old 27-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Ah, yes, forgot about the spine actually having to support more weight for your project!

I'd started a set of my own Eagle drawings several years ago, including some very rough sketches of a cutaway view (tried a few different points of view to get the best 'look' for the cutaway), but didn't get to the 'final draft' version for any of it. Once Roberto's stuff came out, I figured what I was doing would be redundant, so I just bought his.

I also made some preliminary sketches of several Alpha rooms in cutaway. I might still do something with those. (Oh, yes, I already know about Inside Alpha, so maybe I'll just move on...)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
LastGuardian
Hydroponics Technician

By the way -- does anyone happen to have a spare JBOT decal sheet for the 12'' kit he wouldn't mind selling?

Shane
Old 03-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
BlackBirdCD
Geological Technician

I've just unearthed my half-started effort. I'll get some pics posted later on tonight as I've just realized why I put it away in the first place (drilling out the cages - what a waste of time!).
BlackBirdCD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
Butters
Hydroponics Technician

But sooo satisfying when it's done! I just passed that point on mine.
Butters is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
BlackBirdCD
Geological Technician

I don't have the pics posted anywhere I can link them here, but I've just gotten the cages entirely rebuilt, and primed. It looks a LOT better.

And I'm sitting here using a PE Eagle for reference. Go figure.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Butters
Hydroponics Technician

I'm doing the rear engine, red and white striped 'piping' on mine, today. And I'm contemplating starting the detail painting. Do ya'll have any suggestions on creating the 'paneled' paint appearance?
Butters is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
BlackBirdCD
Geological Technician

Best way is to use a few squares of cardstock, with the panels cut into them. Shoot with a slightly darker color from an airbrush, go on to another area.

If you have very specific panels that you want, just mask them and hit them with the airbrush. When you're done with all of them, mist the whole model with your original base color to tone everything together.