&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Default My Dad has a Barn...

- so let's do a show.

What I'm thinking is this:

Nobody seems all that interested anymore in doing the kind of science fiction that Eagle lovers would like to see. So let's work on developing a concept and spend some time fleshing it out. I'm thinking of something that has near-future space technology and is not just a rip off of all the Star Trek and Star Wars things we've seen in the last thirty years. Something along the lines of Space: 1999 or UFO.

If there is enough interest, we could take it as far as designing craft and sets and costumes -- and writing stories. We seem to have plenty of talented people here.

Somewhere down the road, who knows? Maybe we could even produce an episode. Sure, there are lots of things that can get in the way between here and there. But it could be fun.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Stu73
Communications Officer

cool! Your dad has a barn, and that means 'space' for a 1:1 scale Eagle! yay!!!!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A good idea Ace. If you want it done properly you have to do it yourself. What sort of concept do we start with.... a premise is needed here.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
cool! Your dad has a barn, and that means 'space' for a 1:1 scale Eagle! yay!!!!
You know, I did the figuring and the barn isn't quite big enough. It is only about 80' long. We could build it in the barn and put it outside somewhere, though. It would be a nice attraction for my hometown.

We do have enough land to build a 1:1 Moonbase Alpha, though.
Old 16-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
A good idea Ace. If you want it done properly you have to do it yourself. What sort of concept do we start with.... a premise is needed here.
I think it needs to be something similar to Space: 1999 in theme. I'd personally like to see something with that kind of near future technology -- rockets and such. A moonbase or a space station would be good. The thing about the Space: 1999 format that made it cool but also made it wonky was to have the whole moon traveling through space. It's cool because that's how it generates stories -- it's wonky because the whole moon is traveling through space. If the moon just stays in orbit, then the stories will have to come to the moon every week -- and eventually you'd be doing Lost in Space.

So -- we need a concept that helps us generate stories, but also includes technologies similar to the Eagle and other such hardware.

Old 16-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very true. DS9 ran into this very quickly so they had to invent a star ship to be part of it all. To be fair they came up with some very interesting plot lines at various times... but they still needed the Defiant
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Very true. DS9 ran into this very quickly so they had to invent a star ship to be part of it all. To be fair they came up with some very interesting plot lines at various times... but they still needed the Defiant
I know what you mean Tony, I found the whole DS9 thing boring.
Old 16-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Sounds like a great idea Ace…and that’s precisely what some enthusiastic fans of Serenity (loved the series!) did. Here’s the link for their website …check The Production and the image gallery sections…some interesting ideas there!….

http://www.intotheblack.ca/node/41

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 16-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Cool idea, Ace... sign me up!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I've always liked the "probeship" concept.

Old 16-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Ace, may I suggest you start by reviewing this thread: Sci-Fi things that leave you cold...
I'm confident you'll avoid the cliches and annoyances identified therein....
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini View Post
- so let's do a show.

What I'm thinking is this:

Nobody seems all that interested anymore in doing the kind of science fiction that Eagle lovers would like to see. So let's work on developing a concept and spend some time fleshing it out. I'm thinking of something that has near-future space technology and is not just a rip off of all the Star Trek and Star Wars things we've seen in the last thirty years. Something along the lines of Space: 1999 or UFO.

If there is enough interest, we could take it as far as designing craft and sets and costumes -- and writing stories. We seem to have plenty of talented people here.

Somewhere down the road, who knows? Maybe we could even produce an episode. Sure, there are lots of things that can get in the way between here and there. But it could be fun.
Wow! Beats the confinement of a garage! Original models (Kit bashed) available here!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Sounds like a fantastic idea, Ace! My suggestions...A set that's versatile (being able to look like various spaces with a few changes in dressing, props and lighting)...Good stories with good characterization and character interactions. Don't forget some action, mystery, suspense and maybe even horror.

What's the area near your dad's barn like? Is there a quarry or sandpit near it? LOL...I'm partly kidding about that last bit...But I feel it's good to use one as a location for at least one alien world (some sci-fi shows tended to overuse them, though.

I'd like to pitch in something too, if you'll let me (writing, designing, etc...).

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Okay -- the truth comes out -- at present we can't really use the barn, as I'm living in Minnesota and the barn is 300 miles away in Iowa. I was being silly and paraphrasing some of the 50s and 60s musicals where the kids have to raise money to save the library (or whatever) and one of the kids invariably says, "hey, my dad has a barn -- we could put on a show." Hah.

But I do have access to studio spaces where I work here in St. Paul, so we don't really need the barn. There are gravel pits that look like Mars and lakes and woods, so I think we have a decent variety of locations here. That's all a ways down the road, though.

cmdrkoenig67, I don't really have any plan -- so anyone who wants to be involved should definitely be involved. We need to work on the format for the show and figure out characters and all of those things.

I think anyone who has format ideas should pitch them into the ring. I'll start with an idea I've been thinking about -- but in no way am I saying this has to be the format we go with -- it's just an idea.

One of the first problems we're going to encounter with near-future technology is that it is going to be exceedingly difficult to leave the solar system. That's obvious, of course. If we have a space station or a moonbase, we're just stuck there. We can't tell Space: 1999 type stories unless we get far away from Earth. We can't really get far away from Earth with near-future technology.

So how about this:

We have a near-future probeship with very conventional systems. It has multiple landing craft that remind us of Eagles. Something like the ship in Red Planet, or the Discovery from 2001 or the Ultra Probeship, but bigger.

In very, very simple terms, the format could be this --

While the ship is on the first human expedition to Mars, they discover the wreck of an alien spacecraft (of course). While they investigate -- back on Earth, there is a catastrophe of some kind. Earth is destroyed or becomes uninhabitable. The crew is faced with the fact that Mars can't support them and they can't go home. Thank goodness for the alien wreck; they are able to salvage the alien space drive and adapt it to the ship. Zoom -- off to the next star -- or maybe they can't really quite figure out the alien space drive and it takes them where it wants to go and the crew doesn't have any real control. With the Earth gone, we can actually follow the laws of relativity -- great amounts of time can pass while the crew experiences just a few weeks -- possibly in suspended animation; what does it matter if time passes with no reference back home?

So we are on our way, possibly looking for a new home, or possibly deciding that the only survivors from Earth will continue to explore as long as they can keep going.

So that is just one idea for a format.

Just for fun, here's a picture of the barn:

Old 17-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Sounds like a winner to me!

Have you thought of a 'design' for the aliens though? I get really fed up with aliens that are human in appearance - and especially for the species that built the ship that your crew find on Mars, there is no need for them to be humaniod at all. The doorways would give a general idea of the shape of them, generally shorter and wider for beings from a higher gravity world than Earth, possibly taller if from lower gravity (Although not too much lower obviously or there would be no atmosphere).

Also you should think of what sort of appendages they have - after all, guns and tools are recognisable to us because they are designed to fit our hands, so the alien's tools will be shaped differently depending on their 'hands'.

I am also reminded that alien technology may not be descernable to us anyway. If you gave a radio to a tribe of people from dense jungle they may not be able to receive a signal with it (assuming they had electricity to power it with, of course), but if it fell into a bath whilst one of them was in it, they could get electrocuted. This could lead the tribe to make the assumption that the radio is a device for either punishment or execution - not for getting messages!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini View Post
There are gravel pits that look like Mars and lakes and woods, so I think we have a decent variety of locations here. That's all a ways down the road, though.
EXCELLENT. Gravel pits. Let's do Blakes 7!!
Old 17-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
This could lead the tribe to make the assumption that the radio is a device for either punishment or execution - not for getting messages!
But this is exactly how I feel about modern radio/pop music anyway...
Old 17-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
I am also reminded that alien technology may not be descernable to us anyway. If you gave a radio to a tribe of people from dense jungle they may not be able to receive a signal with it (assuming they had electricity to power it with, of course), but if it fell into a bath whilst one of them was in it, they could get electrocuted. This could lead the tribe to make the assumption that the radio is a device for either punishment or execution - not for getting messages!
Yep -- the story can be fleshed out any number of ways. I think there would have to be more of a story to the alien ship, so the pilot isn't just something that connects the dots. The pilot still needs to be a compelling story along the lines of a series one Space: 1999 story.

And this is just one idea for a format. There are endless possibilities.

Last edited by AceMartini; 17-09-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 17-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Stu73
Communications Officer

What about doing a live version of '2055:Voyage to Mars'?
Old 17-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #20
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I'd like to do something new from the ground up, so anyone interested can have a say in story and design elements. That's my preference, anyway.