Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Default Moon Zero Two out on DVD at Last

Hammers kitsch sci-fi "classic" Moon Zero Two is at long last out on DVD on Warners Bros Sci-fi Classic No 1. It is doubled-up with another Hammer classic of sorts "When Dinosaurs Ruled the World". It got off to a bit of a false start, as it had to be withdrawn to be reclassified as it seems Warners were unaware that they had used the international cut of Dinosaurs... which is a little bit naughtier than they thought.

Region 1 only at the moment and out on Oct. 7 in widescreen and amorphic.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Thanks for the heads up.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Does this mean that they just upped the rating on it? Or did they cut some footage?
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
w8cmp
Science Officer

I've searched all the usual DVD dealers (Play.com, Amazon etc) and I can't seem to find it listed anywhere...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

It is showing up on the US Amazon site, for what it's worth. To be released Oct 7th; 14.99 USD

Old 22-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

I picked up a Region 1 copy from Cinema Store in London last week which describes the contents as 'WIDESCEEN VERSION - presented in a 'matted' widescreen format preserving the aspect ratios of their original theatrical exhibitions. Enhanced for widescreen TVs.'

Haven't watched it yet, but as far as I can tell, the guidance rating is 'G'.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

Cheers people - found it and ordered from Amazon.com in the USA
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Sorry, I thought the region 1 only comment in my original post might have given some clues. I guess I should have been more explicit.

My understanding is, the G rating may have caused the issue - from what I have read the re-released version - if one can call it that. Will contain then same cut of ...Dinosaurs.

Marty...
Old 22-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
chas b
Geological Technician

Sadly a lot of movies don't seem to make it onto a region 2 release,this could be another.
'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' and 'I Married a Monster from Outer Space' spring to mind as examples.
What equipment do you guys have to watch region 1 DVD's on? I have a multi-region player but do I need an NTSC TV set as well?
This is something I've been curious about for a while so any advice would be great.

Cheers

Chas
chas b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

If your tv is reasonably new (7/8 years old), the chances are you will not need to do anything as virtually all tv's now the world over use the same chip and as such will work off a PAL/NTSC signal with no problem.

As far as players are concerned most can be hand-set hacked to become multi-region.

That not-with-standing more and more DVD's are becoming region free ieven though they are not adverstised as being so -particulary the "back catalogue/archive" type material.

For example I got the so-called region 1 version of 2001: A Space Odyssey on Blu-ray and was told by many, it would not play on a european machine. It played flawlessly with out resort to any trickery.

For B-Movie material the producers of the Robinsoe Crusoe on Mars DVD did a magnificent job. I wish others would put the same effort in to archive releases.

Marty..

Old 23-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

This is certainly great news. Up til now I've only been able to watch the
MST3K version of Moon Zero Two. To finally see it in its original form will be fantastic.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
chas b
Geological Technician

Thanks for the advice Marty,looks like I'd better treat myself to some new DVD's.

Cheers,

Chas
chas b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

My copy arrived a few days back very nice set, picture quality is nice [lot better than the boots] although not stunningly good - also there is deos not include trailer or the period Hammer produced Moon Zero Two featurette.

Marty...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Looking fwd to seeing "When Dinosaurs Ruled the World" too.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by T70MkIII View Post
Looking fwd to seeing "When Dinosaurs Ruled the World" too.
Fast forwarded part way through that - does not look like grat movie.

Marty...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It was a sort of follow up to the hugely successful "One Million Years BC" but in this case Jim Danforth did the animation instead of Ray Harryhausen. Jim later went on to animate the spoof "Flesh Gordon" credited as Mij Htrofnad. I remember my brother had a poster on his wall of Victoria Vetri in her cave girl outfit. It's cheesy but no worse than most Hammer style films.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

There are certainly some topless scenes, which is what I'm assume made WB squirm a bit with this release and perhaps the reason it was withdrawn. But a below par Hammer fare none the less. No sack that, the On the Bus's movies were Hammer films.

But in comparison I have to say that Moon Zero Two is spot on. I don't know if they intended this way or not, but they got it really right - it has enough tongue in cheek and kitsch with out going over the top in sending-up and being disrespectful to 2001. The soundtrack is great from the Jule Driscoll title opener [alledgelly Susie Sioux favourite tune] to the discordant incidental music to brillant go-go dancing, it's just right, right, right.

I have the original UK quad poster framed hanging the house and I rate it as the best sci-fi poster ever if ever a poster did not tell one about the film, this is it huge great Quatermass/Tintin rocket skimming the surface of the moon, is Wreckless Eric about?

Never mind wishing I was a spaceman, I wish my user name was a 100% Hubbard.

Who is up for a DVD release of the Terronauts? - Charles Hawtreys greatest moment? it was the B feature to Lionel Bart's Scrooge every one at my school went to see it because of the B feature, not Scrooge.

No Blade of Grass, A Long Days Dying, I start Counting, The Deep End and the Bed Sitting Room -the list goes on of British Movies not legitmatley released on DVD yet.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 03-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #18
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
I remember my brother had a poster on his wall of Victoria Vetri in her cave girl outfit. It's cheesy but no worse than most Hammer style films.
I didn't recognize this name so I googled. Apparently she also was in ST:TOS in 'Assignment:Earth' playing the cat Isis in human form. Huh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment:_Earth
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #19
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

I vaguely remember When Dinosaurs Ruled the World from when I was a kid, and movies like The Land that Time Forgot, and of course, 1M BC. It does not surprise me to hear that WDRTW is not so good with older eyes, but I may check it out anyway.

Flesh Gordon came out around about when I turned 18, and certainly did not live up to my expectations.

I'll set about ordering Moon Zero Two now.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Just to be my usual detail obsessed self, the title is actually "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth" hence the visual gag at the end of Jurassic Park and the falling banner.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote