Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
gattispilot
Communications Officer

Default Eagle Cockpit Interior

I am working on a model of the Eagle cockpit. Looking at plans the seat sit low so the pilot could not look out the windows.

So I guess my opinions would be to raise the seats up or have monitor where the pilots would look out and have real window. So that a person could see out if they were standing in the middle. Any opinions
gattispilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
I am working on a model of the Eagle cockpit. Looking at plans the seat sit low so the pilot could not look out the windows.

So I guess my opinions would be to raise the seats up or have monitor where the pilots would look out and have real window. So that a person could see out if they were standing in the middle. Any opinions
Boost the astronauts up so they can see out. The inside and the outside plans don't jive, and there's not much point having astronauts sitting in there if you can't see them
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Boost the astronauts up so they can see out. The inside and the outside plans don't jive, and there's not much point having astronauts sitting in there if you can't see them
How about putting them on little scale phonebooks?
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

From Houston, 1999, for example?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I could just see Alan sitting on a phone book. I rather think the only way to fit an interior successfully into a CM is the way IR did it in the 23" Make the interior the reverse of the set. Make the middle walkway run below the level of the seats. The seats can be on raised platforms and the walkway a sunken channel between them. This is the only way to make the door large enough for the crew to walk through.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
skiffy
Communications Officer

I researched this very issue for Space 2099 and came to a fairly comfortable compromise - at least for the sequences I needed. Of course the interior/exterior are vastly different.

I have seen a (french, i think) modeller do a passable interior. I have some pics which might be useful.

I don't have a link for where I got this image - I think it was in this forum anyway.

You can get a sense of the physical interior from screengrabs of the episodes, and somewhere in these threads there's a photograph of the actual set, which would give you a better sense of proportion.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Not French but Spanish and yes, we've discussed it last year, itís Julio Pilletís fabulous scratchbuilt Eagle (scale 1:72). Hereís the link for his website:

http://plasticllero2.iespana.es/_sgg/m1m3s2_1.htm

...don't forget to check Julio's tutorial...lots of pics but sorry: Spanish only!

http://plasticllero2.iespana.es/_sgg/m3m1s1_1.htm

Hasta luego!....Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
gattispilot
Communications Officer

Here is what I have come up with;

and

gattispilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
SC100B
Weapons Technician

Could the widows act like a prism? I.e. which are refractive? So that the pilots looking out through their end (which would be at their eye level would see out the other end which would be at the higher level but optically would seem to be at their level. Anyone out side looking in would see the pilots but due to the light being bent they would seem to be sitting high up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction

Completely impractical on a real ship when all you need is a higher seat as I imagine they'd be pretty thick and heavy not to mention expensive but could it actually be done?
Because if it could and you could find something that would do the job you might be able to build a CM which would have an accurate interior and be able to see the model pilots from the outside as they look in this picture.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...bs/spbs021.jpg

Last edited by SC100B; 08-10-2008 at 08:45 PM.
SC100B is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's not the way the set portrays it. They're clearly looking straight out the windows.... the outside in shot shows this, the pilots do the looking straight ahead thing, and the shots looking forward depict standard windscreens. Plain and simple the jolly sets don't fit the ship The best solution may well be those telephone books after all.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Stu73
Communications Officer

I think they just jump into their couches for take off etc. Basically the Eagle is flown from a standing postition, much like an old arcade puggy!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Now that could be a good idea for a SF vessel. Have the pilots reclined for take-off and have the couches incline to an upright position for flight so that the pilots are in a position more akin to that seen on the B5 Starfury.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
space1999!
Alphan

Default refracted light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
That's not the way the set portrays it. They're clearly looking straight out the windows.... the outside in shot shows this, the pilots do the looking straight ahead thing, and the shots looking forward depict standard windscreens. Plain and simple the jolly sets don't fit the ship The best solution may well be those telephone books after all.
Not to poke my nose in but perhaps the prism idea would work in reverse too?

If the light coming into the eagle module is refracted downwards to the pilot's line of sight then in reverse the light seen from outside could be refracted upwards thus giving the visual impresson that the pilots were eye level with the eagle window when they are in fact, not.

I think this is a terrific idea to explain what has seemingly been a model-to-set error. Perhaps the original designers Brian and Keith came up with the periscope/refracted light idea all along but we just never heard about it.
space1999! is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
That's not the way the set portrays it. They're clearly looking straight out the windows....
Not necessarily. The way the physical cockpit is designed, there would be a somewhat large space between the bottom lip of the window and the top of the control consoles in front of the pilot. This is where we always see them looking, not out the window. As such, I suggest there are multiple monitors/instrumentation there, and the ship is flown mostly by instrumentation (like real space craft).

So what they can be said to be looking at is not the window but the essential flight instrumentation.

Quote:
the outside in shot shows this, the pilots do the looking straight ahead thing, and the shots looking forward depict standard windscreens.
Yes. And if the pilot was watching his instrumentation, that is exactly what one would see if the window was prismatic.

And the shots from inside would focus on the view through the window because an audience is not trained to understand fictional flight controls. So it would not be focused in the same place the astronaut trying to fly the ship would be focused. This is essentially true for any tv/movie which involves some sort of travel. For example, in an airplane disaster movie, the audience is mostly shown the picturesque view out the window, rather than just seeing the control console upon which the pilot is actually focused. The controls are mostly boring and too complex in most cases for the audience to actually understand.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
CommanderStraker
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC100B View Post
Could the widows act like a prism? I.e. which are refractive? So that the pilots looking out through their end (which would be at their eye level would see out the other end which would be at the higher level but opt
Refraction would not be a good thing. If you remember your physics, different wavelengths refract at different angles, the rainbow effect, not to mention they'd still have to look up. Internal reflection would be better, which is what is used in the porro prisms used in binoculars. Which is right back to the periscope idea (although I was really joking). The problem with prisms vs. mirrors is that large, solid prisms would be very heavy and massive while mirrors are very light by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Not necessarily. The way the physical cockpit is designed, there would be a somewhat large space between the bottom lip of the window and the top of the control consoles in front of the pilot. This is where we always see them looking, not out the window. As such, I suggest there are multiple monitors/instrumentation there, and the ship is flown mostly by instrumentation (like real space craft).

So what they can be said to be looking at is not the window but the essential flight instrumentation.

Yes. And if the pilot was watching his instrumentation, that is exactly what one would see if the window was prismatic.

And the shots from inside would focus on the view through the window because an audience is not trained to understand fictional flight controls. So it would not be focused in the same place the astronaut trying to fly the ship would be focused. This is essentially true for any tv/movie which involves some sort of travel. For example, in an airplane disaster movie, the audience is mostly shown the picturesque view out the window, rather than just seeing the control console upon which the pilot is actually focused. The controls are mostly boring and too complex in most cases for the audience to actually understand.
The problem with this conjecture is that there have been scenes that contradicted this. Like when there's a bright light shining directly through the viewports, it comes straight at the seated pilots, not downward from above.
CommanderStraker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #16
BrianS
Communications Officer

That's the combo of the light from the window and from the monitors just under it.

Not only that, but the lighting is still from above - even in the bright lights or explosions. They DO radiate from above. Check out the shadow on the back wall in this view:

If the light was coming from straight ahead, the shadow of the console would be essentially horizontal, rather than the almost 45% angle which one sees. The angle of the light is consistent with light from above, not from straight ahead.

This is true in most regular lighting situations in the cockpit as well, as seen in this example:

Last edited by BrianS; 10-10-2008 at 03:19 AM.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

This Robert Baldassari cutaway of the Eagle Pilot Section illustrates what we all know both the pilot and co-pilot can not see out the windows. They fly by video monitors and instruments....

http://www.space1999.net/eagle/
Roberto Baldassari Blueprints discusses the interior of the Eagle, especially interesting Access Corridor and Aft Section. On left hand column choose 'making of...' and read info.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 03-07-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: name correction
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
baldax
Hydroponics Technician

Default 3D Eagle Command Module...

Hi there, this is Roberto Baldassari, long time Eagle buff from Italy.
I'm working on a 3D model of our beloved spaceship and I'd like to share with you the first results of this work in progress.

baldax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
hwels
Communications Officer

A big to you, Roberto!

Beautiful, beautiful work !
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thumbs up

Welcome indeed Roberto...and WOW!!!...what an entrance!!!! Those are indeed some stunning renders, bravo!

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote