Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default 'CE3K' insignia - what is it?

In 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', we see a triangular sleeve patch (with a circle in the middle) worn by the astronauts (aka 'pilgrims') and techs at Devil's Tower. Despite my best efforts with the 'pause' button, I still can't make out any details. Anyone got a good picture or description of it, please?

I have no special reasons other than curiosity and an appreciation of attention to detail.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
BrianS
Communications Officer

I don't have the movie handy at the moment, but isn't the logo also on some folders or the like? For instance in the scene where the frenchman does the hand signs to the auditorium of officials, some folders were handed out to the officials if I recall correctly. And I think it had the same logo on them, didn't it?

Last edited by BrianS; 31-10-2008 at 03:09 AM.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
CR
Science Officer

I know some of the techs at Devil's Tower had corprate logos onthier jumpsuits, like Rockwell International. But I also know that's not what you're referring to. If I remember, I'll try to dig up some info over the weekend. (I have some old Fantastic Films back issues that showcased CE3K for a few issues; maybe there's a shot in there.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
BrianS
Communications Officer

I was right.

I dug up my copies of the movie and it is in the scene I mentioned (both as a flag and as the logo on the folders everyone has. The flag is too far away for details, but the folder is certainly close enough to determine details).

Basically there is the word MAYFLOWER written across the bottom of the patch, with a sunburst above it. This is true of the patch as well. The patch is just black and white. Black background with white border, white lettering and white sunburst. And the sunburst on the patch appears to be slightly more stylized than the folder logo (since it is embroidered rather than simply drawn). The sunburst has eight spokes to it, top bottom left and right being a bit bigger than the four others (similar to such designs on old maps).

The name Mayflower makes sense since they are considered Pilgrims (and the chapter title on the DVD for their section is even entitled "Pilgrims")

(The above is the best shot of this closeup. They cut to it mid opening)
Old 31-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Outstanding response, Brian, thank you very much! I completely forgot about the briefing scene.

Old 31-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
BrianS
Communications Officer

As they say at the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation: "Glad to be of service"

Old 31-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, BrianS... saves me the trouble of digging out those magazines. (Seriously, though, good work, and nice screen grabs!)
Old 31-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I just cooked this up in CorelDRAW - any good?

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
BrianS
Communications Officer

Actually, it would be closer to this:

This is especially true in patch form.

In logo form, it would have the same new dimensions, but the star would have greater details (though the lengths of the points would still vary in the same way and there would be more of them - three between the main cross, rather than just single point. And the additional two would be shorter than the current single point)
Old 31-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
BrianS
Communications Officer

In fact, it is probably closer to this:

Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Fair one I guess but I just don't see that chunky star in this...

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
CR
Science Officer

If anything, I'd expect the embroidered patch to be more stylised than the artwork on the briefing folders. To me, based on the screen grabs, the folder artwork looks more 'airbrushed' or 'painterly' than it looks like a stylised logo. Oddly, I'm reminded of the wall panel decorations in the solarium in "Force of Life", though the effect is far less pronounced and less random on the folder art. http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../spfol1041.jpg
In other words, the folder art has the 'star' logo, but the spaces between the points seem to be 'filled in' a little with a more artistic effect.
Another crude analogy might be the difference between the multi-coloured Alpha crest on the patch and the stylised version on the Eagles. Which, ironically, is the opposite of the CE3K stuff, in that the embroidered Alpha patch is the more detailed of the two crests. But my point is that a more artistic logo has been simplified for a different format. Happens a lot in advertising, and helps the CE3K thing seem a little more 'real world.'
One could also extrapolate that the briefing folders were produced with extra 'bells and whistles' to impress the audience, and so the less stylised, more artistic logo was used. (I mean hey, just look at that faux woodgrain folder cover, too... snazzy! )

Edited to add: I definitely see more than eight points on the star for the folder version; looks like there are the main four in the 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions, and that there seem to be two smaller points between each of the four mains. At least on the left side of the logo; it's a little hard to tell if there's symmetry on the right side.
The patch versions, on the other hand, do appear in those screen grabs to resemble BrianS' version.

By the way, Eagle, nice parallel between your patch design & the CE3K poster effect. Looks like an ad... we see the film footage of the road at night with the light on the horizon getting brighter until FLASH! the screen whites out for an instant, and your logo appears over the road where the light had been. All we need is a voice-over as the word MAYFLOWER appears: "Mayflower... we take you places." or some such.

Last edited by CR; 01-11-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #13
BrianS
Communications Officer

Eagle - That's because the star is not that chunky in the logo - which is why I explicitly said the star'sdetails were both different and finer in logo than they were in the patch. And I rendered the patch. Now, if you look at the patch in the last photo, it is indeed as chunky as I depicted.

But even in the logo, the star is not as slender as you have rendered it. First, the star is not as tall as you make it (because the triangle is not as tall as you made it). The star is squatter. Also, the star's spokes are a bit thicker at their widest point than you show. And they certainly vary more in some of their lengths. Given the larger scale of most of these things (combined with the compression of the star's height) the center of the star in the logo will indeed be 'chunkier' than the star you created.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #14
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Edited to add: I definitely see more than eight points on the star for the folder version; looks like there are the main four in the 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions, and that there seem to be two smaller points between each of the four mains. At lest on the left side of the logo; it's a little hard to tell if there's symmetry on the right side.
Actually, as I indicated in my post containing the photo with the orange background, there are three spokes (or points as you call them) between each of the four mains. In other words, in his render, Eagle has correctly depicted the proper number of star spokes for the logo. It's just their lengths and widths that are not quite accurate.

Last edited by BrianS; 01-11-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Correct my response due to misreading post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
CR
Science Officer

Gotcha!
(As in "I understand you.")

Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #16
BrianS
Communications Officer

Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #17
BrianS
Communications Officer

I got a slightly better closeup of the patch and noted the circle effect is actually due to focus blur. This is what I am going to call a final design unless better source materials are discovered (say the film in blue ray - or production stills or the like)

Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #18
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Wow, I'm amazed you've all put so much effort into answering my humble request.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Oh, that's right, Dr Kane. You started all this... now look what you've gone and done!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Oh, that's right, Dr Kane. You started all this... now look what you've gone and done!
What can I say? I inspire people.