Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
BrianS
Communications Officer

Default Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First they ruin - uh remake - "Day the Earth Stood Still" (and adding insult to injury cast Keannu Reeves as the star) - but now they are ruining - uh remaking - another classic:

Forbidden Planet!

When will the madness end!

What next - a remake of 2001?
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

There's room to improve the original -- removing the comedic alcoholic, for instance, or energizing Walter Pigeon's really wooden performance, or cutting the abysmal speech at the end -- but I fear as you do, that any remake will be quite bad.
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

B5's JM Stringthingy's writing the new version apparently.

Might be good then...

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Is nothing sacred?
eagleman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

if there's profit in it, no
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
CR
Science Officer

As much as I love Forbidden Planet, I've always thought that it was ripe for a remake. And not a re-write to include a bunch of video-game-style, stunt-laden 'wow, look at our cool CGI' special effects. Just simply re-tell the story with upgraded sfx (and younger actors, of course). Which kind of comes around to 'what's the point?'

I do like Syd Mead's designs, though, and have to admit that the SLIK of his looks really cool.

Incidentally, since FP is said to borrow heavily from Shakespeare's The Tempest, is it not a remake in its own right?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Surely, unless Shakespear wrote SF, the original "Forbidden Planet" would have more right to be called a "Re-Imagining" than just a flat re-make (Which I always asociate with the idea that you didn't get it right the first time.)
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer

That was actually my point, Weaponsmith. It seems these days, nothing's original, yet one could make that argument throughout history.
On the other hand, didn't there used to be a time when re-making something was done in order to tell the story again, but in a different (not better, just different) way? Now, it seems the only reason to do so is to make money.

And worse, people are all too willing to just throw their money away at the latest blockbuster, remake or not, quality story or not. I know, movies have always been about making money, but can't we get quality as well as quantity?
I suppose someone will answer, "Sure, CR, but I can't talk about that right now; I've got to make the early showing of Saw V!"
Old 05-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
On the other hand, didn't there used to be a time when re-making something was done in order to tell the story again, but in a different (not better, just different) way?
I don't think the briefs are ever to 'not make it better' than the original. The fact they do usually spectacularly fail to make a better film is down to execution rather than intent.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I thought we were up to Saw XXVI.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

It. Was. Inevitable.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Stu73
Communications Officer

Why is the buggy called a SLIK??
Who cares, it looked a cool vehicle in the sketch. Might be worth making that version, just for the model kit!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

At the end of the day , these remakes/re-imaginings succeed or fail due to their own qualities. I am strangely looking forward to "The Day The Earth Stood Still " , because they seem to be taking the subject matter seriously and holding the original with some respect . The "Forbidden Planet " remake at least has some talent involved, so that at least, gives me an optimistic view of it's outcome . People only remember the bad remakes , what about the good 'uns , "The Thing", "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" , "Planet Of The Apes ", er, hang on!
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Glazy
Medical Technician

Report here on AICN http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38991 says that it's going to be more of a continuation than a remake and the original Robbie the Robot will be in it !!
Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Stu73
Communications Officer

I would have thought he'd have a bus pass by now!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Default Remakes vs. Re-Imaginings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
The problem with most remakes is they are anything but. The Danny Elfman "Planet Of the Apes", Stephen Hopkins "Lost In Space" & the 1998 "Godzilla" are great examples of this trashing of beloved classics. But, there ARE upsides: "Battlestar Galactica" is everything the original SHOULD have been (even tho I love the original), an ADULT sci-fi TV series. "Star Trek: The Next Generation" is a classic re-imagining of the original, as are the first 6 "Trek" films. Needless to say I'm quakin' in my (moon)boots to see what they do with the upcoming re-imagining of the ORIGINAL "Star Trek". In this case, they are TRULY messing with a classic. Which brings me to "Space:1999". The most obvious thing to change if anyone ever does do a re-make will have to be a title change. Also, you can (hopefully) kiss the relationship between Dr. Russell & Koenig goodbye, especially if elements from "Breakaway" are used, such as the doctor being a widow & Koenig meeting her for the first time. It took the writers six years to explore the relationship between Dr. Crusher & Captain Picard and even when THAT was resolved in the series finale, we find out it never really happened, courtesty of Q. A new version of "1999" would be most welcome for, despite its' outlandish premise, it would make a great big budget flick. Unfortunately, British sci-fi is not very well respected by Hollywood. Besides "The Saint", "The Avengers" & "Thunderbirds", I don't know of any British sci-fi that's been tackled by our friends on the west coast. Americans just do not know how to handle British productions. I mean, "Dr. Who" has been running for as long as "Star Trek" yet, to date the only American version was a TV movie on the Fox Network several years ago & that disappeared very quickly. As far as a remake of "Forbidden Planet" is concerned, "Star Trek" already,albeit unintentionally already did that. Although "Day the Earth Stood Still" is a classic, an updated re-make might not be so bad. An example would be "The Manchurian Candidate": the Denzel Washington version was quite good because they took the political actions & dealing of the 1960s & brought them up to date with current problems. It CAN be done...we just need the right people doing it.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
Either that or an ASBO for manufacturing free booze!

Phil.

(ASBO - Anti-Social Behaviour Order)
Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
The problem with most remakes is they are anything but. The Danny Elfman "Planet Of the Apes", .....
Hmmm, not entirely sure that the music composer had that much say...
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Hmmm, not entirely sure that the music composer had that much say...
Perhaps he was referring to the music scores of both films. (I happened to like both scores, by the way, though I slightly prefer Goldsmith's.)
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #20
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Part of me says - "why bother adding a reply here, we've rehashed the pros and cons of remakes before".

But the less cynical part of me says...

Let's not get hung up on this, eh? There are only so many stories when you boil them down, so 'remakes' are inevitable when you examine the plotlines. As far as re-doing 'classics' such as FB or TDTESS, again why not?

Yes, you can always compare the two and no doubt most of us in our 40's would choose the older version as the better one. But what about today's generation? Should we deny them the chance of seeing a good idea produced using today's production values?

I'm prepared to give both these remakes a chance and wait until they're out before deciding how good they are.

The trouble with remaking FB, in my view, is that the Krell technology was represented in a way that was awesome to an audience in the 1950's. With the slew of SF films that have followed it, I'm not sure how the film-makers are going to wow audiences if they just adopt the same look today (if the report above is correct).

Anyway, I feel better for that.

Phil.