Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Default 2001 Orion Spaceplane

Does anyone know whether there have ever been accurate blueprints produced. I'd love to build one but the only kit I could ever find was the Airfix Offering which I understand is too tall for it's length

TIA
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

No blueprints, but start here:
http://atomiccity.yuku.com/
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Mikekey
Chef

I have a 24" Orion spaceplane resin kit made by phs. I've not had time to finish it yet, but it seems reasonably accurate.

Here's a review on Starship Modeler: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/2001/jl_bigorion.htm
Mikekey is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The Aurora kit is much better than the Airfix one. Simon Atkinson drew some good drawings for Piers Bizony's "Filming The Future" book. There were a few minor detail errors but the drawings overall are very accurate. I think Ian 'Stargazer' here also offers a resin kit that's very good. The PH Solutions one is a little on the fat side.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I do have a set of drawings which came as a set (Discovery 1, Space Station 6, Aries 1b, Moon Bus and the Orion) 2hich came on 9 sheets, copyrighted 1984, the only indication of authorship being that it's initialled LMD

Bearing in mind the caveat of never trusting a set of drawings, can anyone throw any light on the provenance and accuracy?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The Discovery in that set is not very accurate so a big helping of suspicion is probably called for. They are essentially decorative drawings rather than definitive.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Lawrence Miller Designs, if I recall correctly. I've got the same set buried somewhere in my collection (along with the Shane Johnson Discovery blueprints). The LMD drawings are nice and simple, but not what I'd use for studio-accurate model replicating. However, if having something that's approximate suits you, then those are a good enough starting point. (I noticed a couple of minor discrepancies on some of them versus the sets & models, but I can't remember the specifics. Also, I'm nowhere near as much an 'expert' on the studio stuff as others here, so take what I say on this topic with a grain of salt...)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I'd like the plans to be as accurate as possible, that way, if the model is wrong, its' down to my inadequacies as a modelmaker
Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

What, and give up on the excuse "I only found out that the reference material I used was inaccurate AFTER I had finished it!"?
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekey View Post
I have a 24" Orion spaceplane resin kit made by phs. I've not had time to finish it yet, but it seems reasonably accurate.
The PHS kit while remarkably well moulded, unfortunatley it is to all intents and purposes appears to be scaled-up up Airfix kit and has the inherent issues of that particular kit, which is deemed not particulary accurate. It is a shame they did not base it the Aurora kit or done some mor research as it could have been stunning.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Steve Howarth mastered it. I remember him bringing it in when he'd done it. I think he just winged it without reference to an Airfix kit. It struck me as too fat and the tail too short but since we were working together at the time, I thought it best not to say anything.

http://www.fingertipfabrications.com/replicas.htm
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
stargazer
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
. I think Ian 'Stargazer' here also offers a resin kit that's very good. .

Thanks DX

Here it is.... http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/orion_3_spaceplane.htm

But is only avalable via Starship modeler see here

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index...category_id=20
stargazer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Steve Howarth mastered it. I remember him bringing it in when he'd done it. I think he just winged it without reference to an Airfix kit. It struck me as too fat and the tail too short
Easy mistake to make as those are some of the atributes of the Airfix kit. But, I obviously defer to DX's knowledge of this kit.

I concur with DX, that Ian's [particulary the Starship Modeller moulded version] is undoubtedly the most accurate Orion out there. He just needs to scale it up into a decent size :-)

The large scale Lunar Models kits whilst not with out it's flaws, it had some issues around the flight deck. that said the proportions were not too bad at all and as such is probably the best large scale kit out there at the moment.

The good Capt, I think has muted a large scale Orion on several occassions, but as I not aware of him finishing the underwriters version yet, it could be quite a wait before we see that one.

Marty...
Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'm getting close to doing a studio scale one hence my change of avatar. Not sure if I'll kit it but it's possible. The drawings are prepared.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Quote:
Not sure if I'll kit it but it's possible.
What would it take to convince you? I've been hankering for a great Orion for a long time.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by T70MkIII View Post
What would it take to convince you? I've been hankering for a great Orion for a long time.
Yup, I'm sure there would be a market for a large scale Orion - I for one, would be in.

Marty...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've been corresponding with Simon Atkinson who very kindly sent me a set of his superb blueprints and some copies of the original studio drawings some months ago. Between them, the few discrepencies were easy to tweak so I'm confident of getting it accurate. An offshoot of some of the research has gone into a thread at the Hobby Talk forum but I'm getting close to starting to rough something out. Of course, any additional reference is always welcome and comparing notes with other models is also a handy visual aid to get a feel for what's right and wrong.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Guest01
Alphan

Thumbs up

good luck chris and cant wait to see it
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
JericoEagle1
Medical Technician

Quote:
I'm getting close to doing a studio scale one hence my change of avatar. Not sure if I'll kit it but it's possible. The drawings are prepared.
The Orion was a kit I've wanted for a long time. The offerings I've seen have been a little too small for my taste, can you tell us a little more about the scale one you're doing DX?
JericoEagle1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The studio model was 42" long not including the spikes on the tail. It sounds big but it's a slender and elegant shape.

.... And for once, relatively easy.