SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

Default A Probing Subject

Hi guys.

Thought I'd give you a sneak preview of what's coming up soon.

Using unpublished and rare pictures (Thanks Chris!) I've been able to research the Metaprobe quite accurately. The result of this research will be in kit form very soon. The model will be about 2 feet long when finished and will consist of resin parts, vacuformed solar panel "wings" (to keep them light) and other hardware (plastic and metal) needed to finish it all off.

The model is to scale with the popular 12" models and is the same size as the studio model too.

Below is a picture of some of the mastered parts. Michael Dentzer did the finising work on the nosecones, like the panelling etc. from a shape that I roughed out.

eimb1999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

SOLD! (built/finished)

What's your PayPal address again?!...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Can't wait for this Jim, do you have a rough price for the kit unbuilt and availability time?
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Most outstanding model!

Personally and due to time/resources limitations, I would prefer a finished model.

Another winner from the EIMB dream factory!

Way to go Jim!

J.
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

Price is yet to be determined because the cost of the materials that I must add to the cast parts (such as the way I'll be doing the main body tube) the Plastruct parts and other hardware I have to fiure out, but I am HOPING to keep the kit's price to be LOWER than $100 USD (57 GBP).

Finished price? I'll let you know after I finish the prototype... but I'm guesstimating roughly $250 US (142 GBP) or maybe less.

Old 28-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

I for one am happy to support you Jim With this type of kit, just how good would this look on display alongside a fleet of PE Eagles!
Old 28-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

Wow - I only asked for this a day or so ago, and look what Jim's produced already

I'm definitely down for one of those...

Now what about the remainder of the Ultra Probe so we can complete the set...

Oh and then I suppose we'll all be after the space dock to match....

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Here Here, would make a great set flying side by side, any posibilities of this Jim?
Old 28-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks for bringing these quality kits out. Fantastic!
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: A Probing Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimb1999
Hi guys.

Thought I'd give you a sneak preview of what's coming up soon.

Using unpublished and rare pictures (Thanks Chris!) I've been able to research the Metaprobe quite accurately. The result of this research will be in kit form very soon. The model will be about 2 feet long when finished and will consist of resin parts, vacuformed solar panel "wings" (to keep them light) and other hardware (plastic and metal) needed to finish it all off.

The model is to scale with the popular 12" models and is the same size as the studio model too.

Below is a picture of some of the mastered parts. Michael Dentzer did the finising work on the nosecones, like the panelling etc. from a shape that I roughed out.

Thanks Jim, I will need at least two lives to build all the models. And You gave us just a new one. Great!
skyfullofstars is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century21Slough

Here Here, would make a great set flying side by side, any posibilities of this Jim?
Well, doing the kiit of the UP in it's entirety is a project I'd love to do, but because of the design and sheer bulk along with all that ladderwork and extreme kitbashing around that curved spine, the kit would be very difficult and expensive to produce. A kit of that magnitude would likely sell for a minimum of $350 or probably a lot more. Although a popular subject, I don't know if there would be enough people willing to part with that kind of coiun to be worth producing it. The molds alone would likely cost me about $3,000 and each kit would use a LOT of resin.

I am, however, working with my casting Jedi, Stephen Sekulic, to try to find ways around these kinds of difficulties for many projects we have planned. We're trying to figure out ways to make long spindly things strong as well as maintain accuracy. The Lightspeed Scoutcraft's legs is an example of how we're having a good degree of success in that respect.

"Patience, Hm? Powerful Jedi is he! Hmmmm... Powerful jedi."

EjIMBo.
Old 28-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Well, you'd have at least one guaranteed sale...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #13
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

Make that two
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 10:36 AM   #14
w8cmp
Science Officer

Add a third...

But if a kit is a no-go, what about a package of reference material / designs / suggestions on how to scratchbuiild one of our own. There are people that would pay for this reference too...

Problem is that many of us simply don't have access to the reference material or even original models in order to scratch build one of our own.

Or how about a book on making models of this type from scratch. Chris / Jim and all you others out there that have built studio scale replicas - how about it ?

I'm probably getting carried away here...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Eagle wrote.... SOLD! (built/finished) What's your PayPal address again?!...

Some people really have to have their arms bent up their backs to get them interested don't they.

I would be interested in one of the Meta Probe kits as well, and in all probablility so would the other Tony, speaking of the other Tony, why has he not registered on here by now, I need to have a little talk to him a again.

As was previously mentioned, the rest of the Ultra Probe would be good, at the very least some type of building instructions and/or reference material if no kit was to be made available.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #16
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Gimmie, Gimmie.....

I WANT ONE!!!!!!! (We British understate everything)

Any sign of the Immunity Glider yet Jim?

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

Looking great Jim.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Long spindly casting things...

I just read Jims post about the casting problems with small parts for superdetailing and kitbashed detail replication for kit production. I am probably telling you what you already know but.....

White metal casting has been used to make filigree details in the jewelery for years. If vulcanised rubber rather than RTV is used more pressure can be applied to close the mould without deforming it. Less flashing results in finer castings using this method. I am refering to centrifugal casting here rather than gravity feed casting because the process yields totally different results.

I was working on a slush (tumbling) process with some of the new (at that time) fast cast, low shrink and low odour Urethane resins to produce hollow castings. I had differing degrees of success but I will be happy to share all my information on this process if needed.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #19
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Meta Probe.... ooooooo.... I want one.

In fact, I wanted one so much I was planning on trying to build it myself. And was in the process of looking at things like buying a Drill Press to make those evenly spaced godd$#%m perfectly f*&k^%g perpendicular *&^%$ holes along the spine for mounting the little bloody side tubes (whatever the heck they were supposed to be).

So, excellent choice of subject matter. But in responce to the polling question.... I neither prefer kits, paying someone else, or buying a pre-built.... I like to suffer through it all myself.

Even so... I did break down and buy a PE Eagle when I saw one in person in a hobby store. They were just so pretty. Of course, I then went home and felt compelled to spent the next six months tearing apart an ERTL Eagle and rebuilding all the cages, landing gear, and so on.

It's a sickness..... one we all share on this forum... Eagleholics annonymous.....
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #20
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
Add a third...

But if a kit is a no-go, what about a package of reference material / designs / suggestions on how to scratchbuiild one of our own. There are people that would pay for this reference too...
I know your desires, and in an ideal world there would be no problems, and I'd love to do it.

BUT:

The problem with that is that it is far too easy for just one person to get hold of this information and just post it for free all over the place, thereby destroying our ability to maintain control of our product.

Remember, people like myself earn a (meager at best) living with this information and maintain the high quality standards by keeping it to ourselves. I know that this sounds selfish to some of you but we've been burned too many times by people who say they mean well and, either by accident or deliberately, use that information as a bargaining tool to obtain something from someone else with similar types of information. The information then becomes worthless to those of us who require exclusivity to make our product the best on the marketwe can. I welcome competition, but I'm not going to help to create it myself!

Those of us in this business know how much damage those wretched re-casters can do to us, but there is still a lot more work and skill required to recast someone elses's physical model than for someone to post pictures and information to thousands of people with just a few keystrokes.

The easier it is to copy and distribute, the more likely it would be for me to lose everything I had that gives me an advantage for just a few dollars untill the apple barrel is toppled, if you take my meaning.

In other words, if everyone else is capable of producing a kit as accurately as we can, what would be our incentive to do them if the market gets flooded by others producing the same thing? The market is very small as it is and I sell these things by the handful, not by the hundreds or thousands. Let's admit it, we on this forum and others like it are a pretty rare bunch, showing how limited the market really is. The "big guys" who own the rights to this stuff can increase their market because they have the power of advertizing and the ability (capital) to have fully finished models made dirt-cheap over in China, so their profit is a lot grater than mine for a lot less work. Everything I do is hand made and done for individuals, not mass produced. That's also why it rtakes so long for me to deliver product!. I just hope that you, as customers, are so satisfied by the work that you find it's worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
Or how about a book on making models of this type from scratch. Chris / Jim and all you others out there that have built studio scale replicas - how about it ?
That actuallt might be feasible, but again, the market is so small that the costs of publishing a book outweighs the likely profits to be had. Remember, I need that profit to fund other projects as well as do those mundane things like pay the bills and eat so I can maintain the girth of my ever expanding fat stomach!

However, once in a while I do post the odd article in a magazine, or, you can alays read the stuff posted on my own web site (look in the "articles" section of www.smallartworks.ca). That's free, and eventually I might get 'round to posting more stuff. But working on these models and projects occupies most of my time and I don't always have the time to do that extra stuff. The time I do spend on the web is most wisely used in trying to promote myself! That's something that all of us who work for ourselves know whe must do from time to time.

Yes, I work at this full time. Somebody's gotta do it!

EjIMBo.