Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Product Enterprise 23" Studio Scale - First Look

Many thanks to Tony James at www.comet-miniatures.co.uk for allowing me (and a few select others) to photograph an exclusive Fanderson event preview of the Product Enterprise 23" Studio Scale Supermarionation Replica.

Available sometime this century, here's some images to help you decide whether you'll be buying or not.

Bearing in mind the SHADO mobile 'camo' débacle, I'll not be buying until I see a final production version.

Honest opinion: Despite the clean pictures here, displayed on a white background the Eagle (as is) will look grey. If you don't intend to repaint, I'd recommend displaying either on its supplied black base or a dark/black one of your own creation...

Enjoy.

NB: All images copyright Eagle Imagery 2005.

You are welcome to use these images for your own use but please ask permission if you wish to post them on another site. Please also upload them to your own webspace.
A credit/link to this site would be appreciated too.

NB: All images copyright Eagle Imagery 2005.

You are welcome to use these images for your own use but please ask permission if you wish to post them on another site. Please also upload them to your own webspace.
A credit/link to this site would be appreciated too.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Available sometime this century
...hehehehehe!!!!...you're just too bad!!!!!

Most helpful pictures indeed…best ones I’ve seen so far!

Despite all the obvious “no-nos” of this model (…and with little faith on the final product looking better than what we see here) I’m still definitely “on” with my Comet order…

Thanks Mark!
J
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

I though from what I was told by Tony, that this IS the final production version of the model. This was numbered 0005 of xxxx

I don't believe anything is changing between this and what they produce - apart from a fix for the frame warping problems I heard about.

Chris

PS I'm gonna have to replace those engine bells on mine when I get it...come on Jim - start gearing up for mass producing those 23" bells...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Yup Chris you're right.

Old 28-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

The inaccuracies can be somewhat forgiven if we take them at their word that their target customers are collectors and non-modellers.

On the other hand I recently saw the Master Replica snowspeeder at a hobby shop and it is obvious they made the effort to be accurate in profile, detailing and markings. This model is also targeted at collectors and retails for the same or even less. Maybe they can build us an Eagle!

The most anoying thing with 005 is the failure to properly mask the black anti-glare panels; with overspray bleeding onto the nose sides. How can you trust that the model you recieve in the mail won't have as bad or worse care taken in painting than this "show model".
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

My contacts reveal that Replicas Unlimited* are in fact looking into the possibility of a licence for the Eagle...

Now that's what I call news...

[edit] *Master Replicas...
Old 29-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

RU or PE?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

Or even MR ???
Old 29-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

Hmm, MR
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

I hope you meant MR rather than RU, as the only difference that RU having a licence to make Eagle kits would make would be they could continue legally offering the same inaccurate product.

I know Steve (one of the principles in MR) is a fan of the Eagle so it may have some truth in it.

All aside, I will leave the PE 23" CompromiseEagle to those who simply must have every version available.

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I will have to agree that when I saw the Eagle sitting on the table with the white cloth it looked very grey indeed, and I was a little purtubed by seeing this, however on closer inspection later in the day when it was displayed sitting in the display case on Comet's table (and was not being 'bleached' out by the whitness of the table cloth), it did not look anywhere near as bad or grey. I can live with it alright, but it could have been better finished IMO, especially considering the price tag.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Doh! Sorry for the confusion...

Master Replicas
Old 29-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Forgot to mention with Master Replicas in terms of volume of units sold v/s development cost that the beautifully done Snowspeeder is also limited to 1500 units...so again if it's true that they might build one there will be many happy Eagle fans out there.
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've suddenly realised one of the things that's been bugging me about it. The markings are clean. They should be applied and then the model dirtied down.

I've got the 12" version sitting here in front of me and I think the finish on that is better than the 23" (apart from the grey corridors).
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
w8cmp
Science Officer

And the non-standard Alpha badges.

Do you know it's only now while looking at the photos that I see the overspray on the nosecone cut outs...not like the originals.

And the markings are all totally inaccurate - even down to the 'year planner' markings - as well as being too clean as Chris points out above.

Anyone notice that the number on the door in the cockpit also seems to be upside down (I think that's what it is).

I'm beginning to think that is I DO end up buying the one I have reserved with Comet, it's going to need a complete strip-down and repaint before I will be able to live with it.

Hmmmm...now do I go ahead with my order...

Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #16
w8cmp
Science Officer

Oh and by the way does everyone know that the pod is non-removeable...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:15 AM   #17
CelticNut
Medical Technician

I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed. I expected better detail and craftsmanship. It's nearly double the size of the 12" eagles I've got, but it looks rougher around the edges. What's with that? At seven hundred bucks, I'd expect more!
CelticNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #18
gojira61
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticCub
I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed. I expected better detail and craftsmanship. It's nearly double the size of the 12" eagles I've got, but it looks rougher around the edges. What's with that? At seven hundred bucks, I'd expect more!
I’m afraid I had the same response to the photos, even the new photos on the Product Enterprise web site are not much better. To me it just looks like a larger version of the 12” Eagle with not a lot of extra detail for the size. And what’s up with the choice of colors for the interior? The new photos on the Product Enterprise site of the interior even have less paint detail.

Jim
gojira61 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #19
grefno
Chef

Hello gents; first post here. I was attracted by the photos of this new PE 23" Eagle, which I've had on order for months. Oh-oh, it seems there's a general air of disappointment about this "collector's item". Not having much time to model these days, I'm much attracted to these things, as they're display-ready. Theoretically.

Seems many forum members here are echoing my own thoughts, though. For what I'm forking out, this doesn't seem to be what was promised - and now the light-up interior is also gone. Granted, if I was to commission someone to make me a replica studio miniature, it'd cost a lot more than this - but then, it might be a hell of a lot more accurate, too.

Decision time. I'm seriously considering cutting my losses (forty quid downpayment) and cancelling my order on inspection of these photos...
grefno is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
doon
Communications Officer

Hello grefno,
I would love to get a hold of a 23 myself Learning all I have here, if I can shell out the money, I know that I'm looking at lots of accurizing. I would do so and then take my time turning it into exactly what I want. If you think what it may cost you for a r.u. kit and time to get it to where the P/E is, it may be a good idea for "we " time deficiants. hope this helps
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote