Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
NickB
Alphan

Default Product Enterprise Thunderbird Models - Discounted

Sorry if this old news but if anyone is interested I noticed Model Zone (UK) has significantly cut the price of their Product Enterprise Thunderbirds Models. I am still not interested, price is still too high and quality and accuracy too low - but I was wondering how low the price might go. I suspect they are really struggling to shift them. It's a shame - an accurate model can't cost more to produce than and inaccurate model and if they had gone for a smaller scale and around the 50 mark I would have been at the front of the queue and added them to the rest of my PE collection. (I still lust after the Spectrum Saloon and MSV that never materialised) I'm afraid over 1000 for 3 models and 1300 if you want to add Fab 1 was never a starter for me, and doubly so if my wife had ever found out!
NickB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Yeah, still way too much dough for inaccurate toys! But I agree, they should put out more small craft like all the TB's, the spectrum ones you mentioned, angel intercepter and cloud base would be cool too. Heres hoping they change their way of thinking.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

The Eagle with Moonbuggy and Laser Tank was down to 30 before they shifted them all at Bluewater but I still couldn't justify that level of expenditure
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I liked the gift set and would get another if money was no object. Small diecast TB, SC, Joe 90s and the 12" Hawk would make them a new mint, but I doubt that will ever imagine. An incredible disaster the whole thing. Very sad for the company and for the potential buyers.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Just imagine the cool job they could do on a small TB5. Or how about SID ?
Damn shame.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

Spectrum hovercraft, Spectrum helicopter, passenger Jet, Terrorfish and the Captain Scarlet / UFO moon mobiles... all of which would have been good sellers!

A lost opportunity, and as already has been said a real shame.
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Along with the post above, imagine a decent TB3/TB5 combo... pure sex as it were.. All jokes aside though, it would have been wonderful. All of these would have made a great collection that most people would have bought up big time, probably spending way more than they would have on a couple of the "studio scale" thingies. Oh well.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I liked the gift set and would get another if money was no object. Small diecast TB, SC, Joe 90s and the 12" Hawk would make them a new mint, but I doubt that will ever imagine. An incredible disaster the whole thing. Very sad for the company and for the potential buyers.
I may be late on this information, but IR has been sold to another company:
http://www.sixteen12.com/
So in one way or another, I suppose we "less discriminating" collectors may yet have a small victory!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

... if only the new company wasn't the same management as the old company.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Name changed by request
Exile

I think PE were stung by the criticism(well justified) and that basically, they were manufacturing models(be it in some sweat shop in the far east) in cutting back on manufacturing costs that impaired the finished product.

PE was to introduce a range of puppets(Captain Scarlet, then Thunderbirds) and that never materiised apart from from some prototypes).

I have a love/hate relationship PE! I loved their boldness and ingenuity in bringing the models onto the retail market, but hated what they produced

Who know if out there another company will take-on the mantle of large quality Anderson models!!!
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I think they thought they could manufacture these resin things on the cheap and then sell them for huge prices. I suppose the price of diecast metal and plastic made them make the choice to make resin replica's instead but it obviously hasn't worked out for them for the most part.

Makes you wonder if they'd just be better off going back to the diecast and plastic range though I suppose with the way things are going they'd have to increase the price on those a bit [ I think people will be prepared to pay a bit more for those though].

PE started out as a collectable toy manufacturer and that's why they became popular - making the toys people wanted as kids but couldn't get, like the 12 inch Eagles, Interceptor etc.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
NickB
Alphan

Yep I agree - the truth is I could never really justify 350 for a model - sorry but my finances simply don't run to that in one lump. What I could afford every now and again, with a bit of saving was 35/40 and thus have slowly collected most of PE's diecasts and was hoping to carry on - my message to PE was simple - 'If you build them I will buy' (Sorry could resist - 'Field of Dreams' ref) I would have happily spent this much on a Spectrum Saloon, MSV , Angel, Thunderbirds etc. If I could have had a vote as to where to go next the spacecraft from 2001 would have been pretty high up my list. Imagine a PE Aries 1B, Pod, Discovery or Moonbus (not the Orion - sorry too many kits already out there!). So now I collect and super-detail Konami models instead.
Old 28-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
If I could have had a vote as to where to go next the spacecraft from 2001 would have been pretty high up my list.
Well, I honestly wouldn't trust Mr Walker and crew to churn out anything earth-shattering, least of all if they actually had to go and research something!

My vote would have to be for the remaining Anderson stuff like Mac's Car from Joe 90 in similar size/scale/price to the PE Stingray and Supercar -truly Walker's best contributions to the memories of most of us here?

I must confess to having ordered Model Zone's TB1 and TB3 - maybe they might come down in price further somewhere, I don't know. I sure wouldn't pay full whack for any of their "replicas". But I do know this - for all their faults, Steve Walker and co have stuck out their necks and provided us with models we really would not have seen otherwise.

I don't agree with their methodology any more than anyone else, but at least now I have permanent memories of my childhood to take pride of place with the photos of my late parents. What price that?

Last edited by w8cmp; 28-12-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: 5 cans of Stella do NOT assist typing!!
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
But I do know this - for all their faults, Steve Walker and co have stuck out their necks and provided us with models we really would not have seen otherwise.
Agreed...

But market forces are market forces. Not many people would fork out a fortune on a car but they might if it was the right car. It comes down to how much you covet what you see. If people don't immediately think that the product is worth every penny of the asking price, they aren't going to buy it. I've bought the models that I wanted at the price I was prepared to pay and I would happily have bought a 22" Eagle at the original 400 if it had been accurate rather than an inaccurate recycled resin kit. It's their choice to offer what they did and the customers choice whether to buy. If the product has failed to sell then it's not good enough. All retail works that way. Blaming the fan base for not wanting to buy the product is failing to see the basic flaw in the business plan. It doesn't matter how much effort goes in. The appeal of the end product is what matters. Their pricing points might be very reasonable and based on production costs + profit but the customer doesn't see or care about what it costs to get it to market. He/she is only interested in how much it's going to cost to buy against how much he/she wants to own it.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Agreed...
But market forces are market forces. Not many people would fork out a fortune on a car but they might if it was the right car. It comes down to how much you covet what you see. If people don't immediately think that the product is worth every penny of the asking price, they aren't going to buy it. .
Very true - and I, too, baulk at the idea of paying the full asking price. I'm astonished that PE/IR/1612 are still afloat in any guise given the way they've p***ed about and I'm grabbing what I can before the inevitable, at a price I feel to be more appropriate.

I'll post my final judgement on the models when they arrive - I've only ever seen the Green Banana in the flesh, and was utterly underwhelmed by that. The two smaller craft look better at least in the pictures...

I have to say I don't believe that there's a pot o' gold to be made from doing the job *right* and investing the care and downright love that would be needed, to say nothing of the potential financial sacrifice.

I see a big void being left.
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

Ok , I confess , I've recently purchased both TB1 and TB3 through Model zone at the reduced rates . Why ? , well to be honest I'll never match the amazing standard of work that you guys achieve on here so this seemed like my only chance at these prices to get anything like it .
I always liked the TB3 and purchased this first and after its arrival then purchased TB1 .
Faults? , well no more than the ones we already know about , TB1 being the worst because of the lettering problems ( suggestions please ) .
Am I happy ? , despite the faults , yes , but as DX-SFX says , only because the price was finally right for me . At their original price it would never have happened for me .
Like many of you here though , I still think it was the wrong route for PE to go and they should have stayed with the smaller range and created dioramas in plastic cases on a smaller , more affordable , scale . Imagine the hanger bay they could have done for TB1 or even TB2 .
Ok I'm done , bring on the beating !
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
Faults? , well no more than the ones we already know about , TB1 being the worst because of the lettering problems ( suggestions please).
No beating from me, I bought the worst of them all last week from Modelzone, TB2 (aka the green banana). The upside-down lettering of TB1 can be rectified. Some masking tape, Workshop's Skull White and Chainmail (silver). It can be done, as I did so.

Picture of 'redone' lettering on TB1:

Hans
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

Nice one hwels . Have to say that I'm tempted with FAB1 and TB2 also , although TB2 would have to have a bit of a make over .
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
NickB
Alphan

You won't hear me beating up PE - in fact quite the reverse - I totally agree that they have brought me my childhood models (I am old enough to remember Supercar the first time round!) and if the PE Skydiver is not 100% perfect - I honestly don't care - it remains one of my favorite designs and PE produced it. What I had hoped for was a steady stream of models at the price I could afford - yep would have definitely had Mac's car from Joe 90 and frankly almost anything else from Gerry Anderson for around the 35/50. It isn't that I don't want to do business with PE - the problem is I do!
Old 29-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
fendertubeguy
Hydroponics Technician

I like the TB3!!
fendertubeguy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote