Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Default Work in Progress (FineMolds Millennium Falcon)

I felt I would post some pictures of my current SF model project, the Fine Molds Millennium Falcon. I built the thing last June/July to see if I could finish one in a month. Well, I did manage to get the model mostly built in a month, but I decided I didn't want to rush the paintjob. So I tabled it for a bit when I moved on to other projects (such as the SR-71 I recently did). But I pulled it out of storage in November and have been working on it since. Here is what I have done thus far.

Here's the model preshaded in black. Color used was Floquil Engine Black since it comes in a nice large bottle and airbrushes on really nice. No primer coat was used since I figure it is something of a waste in this case as the model is going to be rather heavily weathered as opposed to having a clean and flawless paintjob.

First basecoat shade is down. After I painted this shade (Model Master Light Gray), I felt the color didn't look quite brown enough, so I did a 50/50 mix of Model Master Light Gray and Camouflage Gray to get the color I wanted and misted on a layer of it to brown it up slightly.

Here it is after the revised base coat color. Slightly darker panels were painted on with a 50/50 mixture of Flat Gull Gray and Camouflage gray.

And here it is with the dark gray and red oxide patches added. Neutral Gray was used for the dark gray patches and for the red ones I used small bottle Testors rust color with a few drops of red added to alter it slightly.

This image of the bottom shows all the color patches, including two yellow ones done with Tamiya flat yellow. Weathering work can begin soon, but I have a few minor things I have to finish up first in terms of construction and detail painting before I can really go to town on this.

Ever wonder what over 100 greeblie parts on the engine deck of the Falcon studio model looks like? Well, FineMolds provides a pretty dang good duplication of that effort on this kit.

I've been documenting the paintwork on this beastie pretty well with some reasonably good resolution pictures. When I am finished (assuming I can shoot some decent shots of the completed model) I may submit an article to SF&FM magazine detailing the work I did on it. Before I do that, I've got plans to also finish up a second Falcon kit I have (MPC issue Falcon) as the blue trimmed one seen during a cameo appearance in Episode 3. The Making of E3 book has some great images documenting that paintjob and I also have a Star Wars Titanium mini painted in the same colorscheme as well. If I can pull off both models, it will be something of an "Old School, New School" kind of build with a twist. And if I can finish the second Falcon before Wonderfest, it will be the icing on the cake.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I'm happily drooling over the work so far. I do love this ship and you're making a top job of it. I'm curious about the yellow panels. I didn't realize that yellow was used. How big is the fine molds model BTW?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Its looking good so far, nice job.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

looking very good!,i sold mine unbuilt far too much piping lol
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I'm happily drooling over the work so far. I do love this ship and you're making a top job of it. I'm curious about the yellow panels. I didn't realize that yellow was used. How big is the fine molds model BTW?
This link to an article written by the man himself answers that last question. Has he really been at it for 3 years?

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/jmc_fmmf.htm

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Galactica53
Medical Technician

looks real good so far

Cameron
Galactica53 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Nice job so far! I'm weathering up my MPC now - quite a big job. What are you doing for lighting?
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm loving it...

I assembled my model when it first came out, and am still part way through installing lighting (EL & Fibre Optics) before I start the paint job.

I did add the aftermarket brass panelling and detailing to the engine grilles on mine - think you can still get this from the SM shop.

This has inspired me to get it out and continue...I love painting things like this !

I also have an AMT kit with all the accurising bits you could buy before the FM kit came out. Might do that one too...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

you fly in that thing nice work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

I know what you mean about the yellow panels Tony. I was skeptical myself, but I did consult the reference photos I had and sure enough there are two yellow panels on the bottom. Of course once they get weathered, they won't look as bright. As for its size, it is slightly smaller then the MPC kit and listed by FineMolds as 1/72 scale.

Well, this one won't be lit as I don't normally light my models. I try to whenever possible build out of the box and only add stuff if I feel it is needed to correct a basic kit flaw or it is needed to really jazz it up. One day I shall get to lighting, but for now they just bog down the work flow on my stuff. Granted lighting can add to the looks of a completed model, but I figure if I can pull off a first class job without lighting it, then I'm doing something good already. I have built the model in such a way to help me to switch easily between gear up and gear down configuration (complete with open boarding ramp) and that is one reason why I didn't add the lighting since it would look a bit weird sitting in a landing bay diorama with lit engines. Plus I also liked the looks of the powered down engine core pieces and those practically need to get scrapped if one plans to light the model.

The brass is indeed tempting, but I don't have the budget for it right now and I think in this case, the model should look just fine even if I don't use it. Besides, I would love to enter this beastie into an "Out of the Box" category at an IPMS model show and see what sort of result it can get.

Old 30-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
"What a piece o' junk!!"
She's the fastest hunk a junk in the galaxy.

w8cmp you could add some photos too so we can see them both come together. Very cool stuff
Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Fantastic work there ! I don't have the time at the moment for such "intense" projects , but the Fine Molds kit looks like something I need to put away for a rainy day ( probably month!). You're doing a great job of showing off the attention to detail the kit has . Again , fine work .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, after a couple months, I am back at work on the Falcon, shooting to have it done for a model show in a couple weeks. I am in the weathering phase right now. Before I could begin that, I had to add another gray patch near the engine deck, one dark gray patch on the docking arm near the loading ramp and fade the yellow patches. I did that by misting on some of my basecoat color over the yellow areas on the bottom and two I added to the top near the cockpit pod (see falconwash1.jpg below to see the top yellow patches).

I gloss coated the model to prep it for a light wash of Tamiya acrylic smoke tint. The gloss coat is necessary to help keep the wash from spiderwebbing into the base paint too much. My plan wasn't to go heavy on the wash, just do something very light and subtle to help give a little more interesting appearance to the paintwork before the more serious weathering can begin.

Here are my results thus far:

And here is a closeup of the weathered turrets. The one on the left is the top turret, the one on the right is the bottom one. I coated one of the Neutral Gray panels on the top turret with Tamiya Neutral Gray as it is a couple shades darker then the Testors Neutral Gray color I used elsewhere. Pictures of the studio model show the darker color used here at least while the lighter shade seems to work better elsewhere. I also used the Tamiya color for the dark gray "flaps" on the engine deck that sit above and below the engine coils to give them a little darker appearance. The window openings were also colored with neutral gray, just like they seem to be on the studio model.

Right now I am in the middle of vandalizing my model with a couple Dremel grinding tips to add the battle damage, such as the light paint chips and the heavier scarring to the top (i.e. the soldering iron dents near the dish) and the bottom (the two straight gashes on the bottom near the loading ramp). My intial work with a corded Dremel worked well enough for the big scars, but I can't regulate the speed slow enough for just the scratched paint areas. So I bought a Cordless Mini-Mite Dremel and that seems to have done the trick. Things aren't quite perfect though as I am still learning how to use the tool with the engraving tip. But, I am satisfied with the results thus far. I'll shoot some pictures when I am far enough along with that process to document my work.

Last edited by JMChladek; 05-04-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

This is such a detailed ship when it comes to the paint, its looking great.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #15
Puffy_Shirt
Medical Technician

Great project.
Great pictures!

Thanks and keep them comin' ....
Puffy_Shirt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #16
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Here are my results with the battle damage I added.

The soldering iron marks on the hull:

Added

Darkened with a wash

After final weathering

And here are the bottom scrapes on the hull just behind the boarding ramp

Here are the weathered turrets:

And here is another spot showcasing the battle damage and weathering.

The black paint chips were done with a Dremel mini mite and an engraving tip (I used the same tip for the deeper round blast craters on the hull). My original plan was to just wear through the basecoat down to the black pre-shade, but it went into the plastic instead. As such, a black artists pen with a .005 tip came to the rescue the blacken these spots. I used the same engraving tip to etch through the rust colored panels back down to the basecoat in a similar procedure to what was used on the studio model.

Last edited by JMChladek; 21-04-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Must have been nerve wracking drilling into the thing, but very effective.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Must have been nerve wracking drilling into the thing, but very effective.
You're telling me. That is one primary reason why I didn't work on the thing for about three months. I was fearful of making one wrong move and screwing up my expensive kit in the process. Once I started doing it though and got more confident, it was pretty easy. I just had to make sure I measured twice before cutting once.
Old 22-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Time for some more pics:

Here is the bottom area of the cockpit pod, showcasing a couple of damage craters on the docking ring and the pod itself.

Here are the turrets in their respective environments.

Here is the cockpit.

Here is the completed bottom...

...and the rest of the completed model.

Old 22-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
janus5
Geological Technician

Fabulous work.
janus5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote