SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Default DINKY FAB 1 "Spirit of Joy" HELP

Hello there!

I'm restoring a DINKY FAB 1 RR, and no surprises here, the thing lack the "winged Lady" figure on the radiator.

Could some kind fellow forum member post a few close up pictures of the darn thing? I pretend to re-sculpt the figure.

Thanks very much in advance!
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Here you go mate. If you need more just shout. Think I can scan the original 1960s MECCANNO mag review too which probably has some decent images if you like. There are a couple of great Corgi/Dinky repro guys who do perfect molded copies of Parker and Penelope if you need them for just a few quid. The 'Lady' is a very crude version of the real figure but the basic shape is there so no real worry about going to town with too much detailing as you can see.

Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Wheee! That was fast, man!

Thanks a bunch! If you could add a profile shot...

Yeah, I know about the repro parts, but in this case I'm trying to do it by myself...

Thanks again my friend...

EDIT: SORRY!!! I only saw the first picture! Too impatient! (and a very low internet connection)... no more pics needed!

Last edited by akoenig; 31-12-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: too impatient!
Old 31-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Done a few resculpts for these. I use thin brass sheet for the wings and wire for the head/body. I drill a hole for the wire in the top and then use super glue to add shape to the "body" and glue it all in place. They end up looking better than the Dinky original. The best thing about the recent Corgi effort is the spirit of extacy they did for it. Mind you it would last even less time than the Dinky ones did if a child got hold of it.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
hwels
Communications Officer

Jim,

You just beat me with your pictures! Happy New Year everybody!

Hans
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

No problem on the pics mate. A pleasure. Restoring Corgis and Dinkys is always fun but I have found I need to go into each project needing to know where I intend to end up. Do I intend to do a copy of a toy or try and go the extra to make it closer to the on-screen vehicles as best I can given that it is just a toy. As long as I have those things set before I start I'm OK. I've made a right pigs ear of a few over the years but they can always be stripped down again. Keep us up to speed on this as I would love to see how it all turns out. Good luck.

Tony! Any chance of a few shots of your restorations on FAB1. I'd be interested to see the results with the 'Lady'.
Old 31-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
Do I intend to do a copy of a toy or try and go the extra to make it closer to the on-screen vehicles as best I can given that it is just a toy.
I'm new to this world of diecast restoration, but I try to mix both trends, BUT ALWAYS more in the "toy" side.
Old 31-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I've done a fair bit. Mostly TV and film stuff so give us a shout if you get stuck on anything mate and like I say good luck with this. I did a few before I got to a FAB 1. I have a minty original as reference but even then it was a tough one to get looking nice. I wish you all the best.
Old 31-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Name changed by request
Exile

Now and then I come across old Dinkys! If i see a FAB 1 winged lady I will cast it for you and send it - it's so small the amount of rubber used for the mould would be neglible!

I have the new FAB1 from Corgi. I will see if that winged lady will suffice and if do I will copy it and send it to yer! You will need to PM me your address, a nominated address or a PO box address.

- James
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post
Now and then I come across old Dinkys! If i see a FAB 1 winged lady I will cast it for you and send it - it's so small the amount of rubber used for the mould would be neglible!

I have the new FAB1 from Corgi. I will see if that winged lady will suffice and if do I will copy it and send it to yer! You will need to PM me your address, a nominated address or a PO box address.

- James
Thanks very much James, but I'll try to make my own. In fact, it's part of the fun for me. Thanks again for your kind offer (and maybe, after my first test, I'll remind you of this offer...)

Old 31-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Name changed by request
Exile

No probs..just SCREAM.......er I mean remind me if you need a copy!

- J

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig View Post
Thanks very much James, but I'll try to make my own. In fact, it's part of the fun for me. Thanks again for your kind offer (and maybe, after my first test, I'll remind you of this offer...)
Old 31-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

akoenig, here are a couple of pics of the full size cast mascots for 1:1 scale RR's Although it's unlikely one could achieve this level of detail on the Dinky FAB 1, the first shot gives you a pretty good profile to aim for on any larger scale replicas.

Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Name changed by request
Exile

These are just the job for my Ford KA! Right........me needs me drill!

[/quote]
Old 15-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post

- James
I bought 2 of the Corgi FAB 1's; both fresh MIB and neither has the 'Lady' on the radiator....!! My pearlescent Ltd Edition one came direct from Corgi too....
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Name changed by request
Exile

You sure about that?

I have a Corgo FAB1 and there is defimitely a lady figurine on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
I bought 2 of the Corgi FAB 1's; both fresh MIB and neither has the 'Lady' on the radiator....!! My pearlescent Ltd Edition one came direct from Corgi too....

Old 15-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, now that's very sus. I'd be contacting Corgi because they're usually present.
Old 16-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #17
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Yes, now that's very sus. I'd be contacting Corgi because they're usually present.
I doubt that Corgi could do much now as it's over a year ago that I bought it from them.... and hasn't it been long discontinued? There's just a small rounded 'nub' there; sure I read somewhere that the figure was removed during production due to 'safety concerns'....
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That is claimed for the Dinky ones. I'm not sure whether that was an ebay myth to explain the mascot away or reality. I haven't heard it about the Corgi version though. Who knows. I got my Corgi one about 4 years ago and immediately cut the canopy to roughly the right shape. The improvement is amazing. It was an ok attempt at Fab 1, but really only copied the unsatisfactory Matchbox thing A really wasted op. The little Clarris wheels version and the Konami one are some of the best efforts shape wise.
Old 16-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

I concur here 100%: the Bandai Charawheels FAB 1 is superb for it's scale.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Er... isn't it actually called The Spirit of Ecstacy?
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote