Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Default 2001

Had this DVD in my collection for the past few months and got to sit down and watch it last night - I love the non ratings season!

The movie still stands up well and I say the effects surpass anything Lucas has done in the recent Star Wars 1-3 - still shudder at those.

The second disk with the documentaries is quite enlightening.

2001 was a benchmark for space sfx to be set from when it was released.

Star Wars set a new benchmark for non CGI SFX

Terminator 2 set a new benchmark with its CGI

Matrix set the CGI bench mark higher.

Any other films you would consider a benchmark?

Space 1999 ows a lot to this benchmark movie.

The moonbase, the moonbus, even the space suits to some extent with the chest packs.

As the Aries lands at Clavius base and the landing bay doors open, I'm thinking damn, they so could be the bow of a Star Destroyer - watch it and you will see what i mean. I wonder how many film makers were inspired by this film.

The comments from the critics about the movie being slow and boring were interesting. I did find it slow - 2nd time I've seen it, but I still enjoyed it. Was hard to get used to little to no sound especially in the space scenes -but we have been brainwashed - I still love the sound of a fighter roaring past in space. Imagine the opening scene of star wars sans sound fx, just music...

The other comments from theatre owners (the distributor wanted to pull the film as it was considered a bomb), dont pull the film, we're getting a different kind of audience comining in now - ypung people, sitting right down at the front - probablly had a puff or two of weed and were waiting for the psychedlic scenes when "landing" on the monolith.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Jurassic park has to be for the monsters.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

2001 is a strange one for me. I was taken to see it as a 4 year old kid because I liked space and stuff in 1968. Not really one for a child. Maybe an hour in I was asleep! Went to see it again as a teenager when the movie was re-released in the late 1970s same again an hour in and....asleep. Went to a big London showing in 2001 and yeah you guessed it....an hour and asleep! I love the costumes, the sets, the effects are no question still as good or even better than anything we have seen before or since but as a film personally I find it so dull. I may be the only one who sits and watches it on fast forward to the scenes with space suits and gadgetry and miniatures as to be honest I just don't 'get it'. The influence on Sci-Fi movies in general is obvious and no question SPACE:1999 owes much to it but like I say as a whole I don't go rushing to watch it too often despite loving the 'look' of it. Give me FORBIDDEN PLANET, STAR WARS or PLANET OF THE APES anyday. Good thread as I'm sure we will see all sorts of opinions on what is without question a landmark movie.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
hwels
Communications Officer

Another 'slow' and 'strange' film I always enjoyed next to 2001 is the original version of 'Solaris' in Russian with subtitles in English, French and Dutch.

When I'm in the mood for this kind of movie I usually start with 2001 followed by Solaris.

Anyone knows another 'strange' sf-film?
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The recent remake of Solaris was strange enough. What about Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
The recent remake of Solaris was strange enough. What about Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow.
I haven't seen the remake of Solaris (heard to much bad talk about that one). I have Sky Captain on dvd. Another strange one I can think of is 'Immortals'.
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

2001 is really three seperate chapters telling a much bigger overall story revolving around the alien monoliths and their monitoring and promotion of man as a potentially intelligent species. It's incredible to think that it is still frequently used as a reference standard when talking about special effects particularly if you consider it's now 40 years old.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
fredlight
Computer Technician

hmm..In my opinion, S1999 owes nothing to SW.

They were created/build at the same years, nearly in the same place...

Many shots in S1999 look a lot like in SW(or opposite?), and I still wonder who copied who at the time...

Visually, 2001 is really a milestone (although Forbidden Planet is nothing short of a masterpiece too...and Planet of the Apes little later) but the movie is in my opinion too far from the book to be digestable...love all the books though...

I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy setted another milestone in handeling crowds of 3d characters in gigantic battles (althought Starship Troopers was I think first with its Bugs army)..
fredlight is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

For that matter, Kubrick wanted Derek Meddings but the Anderson's wouldn't release him which is why Brian Johnson got the deal and left after Thunderbirds.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
fredlight
Computer Technician

Yep, I understand...and agree....the funny thing is I just read SW: the Story behind the original film..and watched all 24 ep. of S1999...and really feel/think all this technicians/artits happily mixed between both productions...I know we have the names...but I wish the screen writers for S1999 and G. Lucas told us how much of each show influecend the other one....too many similarities...

As for 2001, I read many times that Lucas tried to stear (?) away from its style, thinking it was looking good..but too good/clean...

I feel lucky to be living now and here anyways...I grew up with Thunderbirds, S1999 then SW (forgot Planet of the Apes and Forbidden Planet again oops)...then all the good SciFi stuff that followed (Alien movies, Back to the futur, Star Trek the movie (and the new one coming), Terminator, Predator, etc...I think there's enough to please everyone in the last 40 years...but wish producers were less frisky guys, and tried new horizons...(why make another Star Trek movie? Two Hulk?) ...there's so much good Sci Fi books they could use to make new movies/stories...and a real good S1999 movie!
Only exceptions to me were Firefly and Riddick..both great movies with distinct universes and characters...

Oups, I think I'm going a little far from the subject, sorry...
Another milstone in movies was Tron by the way...

Last edited by fredlight; 04-01-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Agree with the 'landmark' films mentioned so far.
My addition is 'Them' - just for the use of sound to suggest the giant ants.
Still watch it periodically and enjoy it every time.

Loved 'Tremors' too. Not SF, but the first modern B horror movie to have a real sense of humour.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
fredlight
Computer Technician

yep, Tremors...great idea served by great actors by the way...and let's add Abyss wich I think with T2 really started something about 3D....
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Liked all of these. Tremors is fun, the first of the three that is. The first starship troopers was also fun, the second was nonsense. I've not seen the third with the return of Reco
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Liked all of these. Tremors is fun, the first of the three that is. The first starship troopers was also fun, the second was nonsense. I've not seen the third with the return of Reco
I never got around to seeing Tremors; I'll look out for it if it is on DVD.

Loved Abyss and Starship Troopers #1. #3 is not much better than #2, but it does take the piss out of itself from time to time. Casper has muscled up big time which is good of itself, but he walks around with his arms swinging away from his sides as though he has the biggest lats pump of all time... Not a good look
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

There is a cool model out in the DVD shops of the green robot thingy from the third film. It looks very nice but I wouldn't be paying $80 for the thing. Though that may include the DVD

Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwels View Post
Another 'slow' and 'strange' film I always enjoyed next to 2001 is the original version of 'Solaris' in Russian with subtitles in English, French and Dutch.

When I'm in the mood for this kind of movie I usually start with 2001 followed by Solaris.

Anyone knows another 'strange' sf-film?
Watched the Russian Solaris again recently on Film4 and it makes 2001 seem overly hurried at times but is very absorbing - if you are in the mood. I thought the remake was OK but I wish it had attempted to portray the ever-changing forms thrown up by the planets ocean which are vividly described in the book and would for a change have been a legitimate use of the advantages of CGI.

As for another strange sf-film - how about 'The Final Programme' or 'Zardoz'. They don't come much weirder and we probably won't see the likes of them again...?
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote