Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Default Thunderbird 2, forum Vs real life?

I'm discovering now the THUNDERBIRDS series (long story), and of course, I want badly now a Thunderbird 2 model! I remember very vaguely the series from my childhood (I'm 44 now), but remember very well a vinyl T2 I had as a kid (There were very little TBs toys here in Spain), although I can't remember brand or scale.

I was considering a Takara 1/144 TB2 or the dreaded IR green banana. Not bothered about the inaccuracies, and anyway I ALWAYS modify every model I got in my hands, even the very good ones. So, the only fault I consideer unacceptable, the color, is in fact the most easily corrected.

Ebay time. Of course, no Takaras, but, surprisingly, NO GREEN BANANAS!!!

Apparently, they are sold out EVERYWHERE! I was quite sure, after all the (fair) criticism the thing has suffered, I was going to be able to get one at good price. Of course, I'm not going to pay the retail price (you still can find some at retail prices).

So... The IR TB2 was, probably, the most criticized model in this forum history (fair again), but obviously, did well in the market... you can find plenty of TB1s and TB3s, which are considered better models, but no dreaded green bananas.

So... at the end of the story, what's the moral of it? There are plenty of people out there not bothered enough about inaccuracies (probably even not noticed) or color (very evident). And at the end, that has been the REAL market for TB2.

Let's think about it...

Last edited by akoenig; 10-01-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: too embarrassed to confess it
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig View Post
So... The IR TB2 was, probably, the most criticized model in this forum history (fair again), but obviously, did well in the market... you can find plenty of TB1s and TB3s, which are considered better models, but no dreaded green bananas.

So... at the end of the story, what's the moral of it? There are plenty of people out there not bothered enough about inaccuracies (probably even not noticed) or color (very evident). And at the end, that has been the REAL market for TB2.

Let's think about it...
It's difficult not to wear the cynic's hat here - I refuse to believe the damn thing DID do well in the market! My guess is either most of 'em went to landfill or they're still languishing in Walker's lock-up.

SteveD's post regarding ModelZone's stock levels for TB's 1 and 3 was most intriguing. It appears that a large percentage of the runs for those models were sold, probably "for a song" to ModelZone, but what was their original allocation for TB2?

In all seriousness, Akoenig, if you haven't seen one of these monstrosities in the flesh like I have, please keep your hand in your pocket unless there's a serious drop in the price.
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Considering there were only 200 (as far as I remember) it wouldn't be too many to sell in the first place and a good number have ended up in the bin returned from disappointed customers, so I imagine IR are rather glad they're gone, as would be the stores who couldn't give them away and are not in a hurry to order more.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Considering there were only 200 (as far as I remember) it wouldn't be too many to sell in the first place and a good number have ended up in the bin returned from disappointed customers, so I imagine IR are rather glad they're gone, as would be the stores who couldn't give them away and are not in a hurry to order more.
I have TB2 300 of 800, got mine for a real low price.
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ah, thanks for the correction, but even 800 is a fairly easy run to sell. Said it before, but it would be really interesting to see one of these done up to see if the swan can rise from the ugly banana

Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

I'm not sure if they were returned... they usually never show up in Ebay, which is strange. Tony, you're the master here in Ebay searches... but I'm pretty sure they don't appear often in the 'bay, like TB1 and TB3, not to mention 23" Eagles.
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

A fair few have been on ebay over the past year, in fact there's some on Ebay.com from US sellers almost constantly and Amazon sellers and amazon themselves are still trying to offload them... in fact a google search turns up a hefty amount of lime green bananas available from small retailers, all at the original RRP.
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, there's one on ebay at present, at around 200. I clicked through the pictures again and began to wonder if even a complete makeover would do... but it would still be interesting to see what could be made of one.