Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Default My Martian War Machine

Finished in the sense that my design is one i am finally happy with, When i receive another i will paint it etc, this one now belongs to a friend.
My Martian War Machine, i am quite proud of it though wish i could get a better pic.

I made this one so its legs and tentacles could be posed before gluing for a more interesting gaming table.
I will likely do it a vaguely yellowish aluminium colour with a slight bit of green wash for the 'martian' look

Sorry about the size of the images,
Opinions welcome
Flashheart is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Wells Martian War Machine....

Hi Flash,

Only one opinion, blooming fantastic. Captured the essence of the book description perfectly, I love the turned details on the legs, looks very Victorian brass work. The heat ray "gun" looks good too, can I see details on the head section, rivets maybe?

Get it painted and post images.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thank you, That is good to hear, i am a bit of a purist when it comes to design and i always worry a bit when i am doing something that there is not a very detailed description for.
Unfortunately the resolution on the 3d printer that my supplier uses cant handle something as small as rivets on a 6 and a bit inch tall figure. Since this is the size of War machine i am selling i have to refrain from making it too large as it gets prohibitively expensive very rapidly. And also this is the size we needed for our gaming purposes, it is in scale with my friends WW1 biplanes. There are small triangular raised areas at the base of the hood matching ones on the main body, the way the machines 'muscles' are described as moving, combined with the fact that the martians do not use wheels (Thank you Mr Wells for making it difficult) made me think that the hood rotated via a series of electro magnets rather than gears. The magnets are what the raised areas represent.
The 3d printing process leaves very small ridges on rounded surfaces that i think you are seeing.I tend to think (maybe it is just me) that other than a slight baroque quality to the styling, the War Machine is relatively smooth and rivet free reflecting the aquatic influence on the Martian vehicles that i am pretty sure Wells meant. Now i am doing the Handling machine and it is more of a pain *L*

Last edited by Flashheart; 04-12-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
CR
Science Officer

There's a War of the Worlds forum called The Eve of the War that might enjoy seeing this work. Sorry I don't have a link, but you might try finding it and signing on. (Of course, maybe you're already a member.)

Anyway, neat design. Good luck with the handling machine. I presume it will be in the same scale?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thanks for that, i am not a member yet. And yes, the handling machine will be the same scale

well bugger, the forum is closed down

Last edited by Flashheart; 09-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Interesting items....

Hi Flash,

I must have had my mind on something else the other day as I failed to notice the rather nice looking guns in the background. One of my other interests is the SteamPunk genre and they seem to hit the mark.

Any chance of a few extra picture of them please? I am very curious to know what else you make? We have similar tastes it seems.

Cap'n
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thank you, I have a few more images of them, i will post if interested, is this the correct area or should i do so in a different thread?
Mostly the things i make are either Steampunk, Golden Age or Space opera type things. I would say my two main foci are weapons for costume etc and gaming miniatures hence the guns and the War Machine. The miniatures are designed to sell, the guns are just for personal pleasure (that sounded wrong) and the joy of building them.
I had been meaning to do a War machine for a long time but was focusing on Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock style ships and my line of Dan Dare/ Buck Rogers style 'old school' rockets. Then i needed a break and turned to Wells as i am likely to do...I have finally finished the Handling Machine but it is still a 3d model , i haven't gotten it fabricated yet.
I have a copy of the original magazine serialization of War of the Worlds on order, it evidently has more on the Martian flying machine so that will be my next project i think, then back to the rockets and space battleships...
I tend to ramble when it is late and it is 4:39am here so i think i need to stop before i fill a page or two with nonsense *L*

I will post them when i find the correct location and dig the images up.

F
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up

Post here and I will create/move if needed, looking forward to this, we haven't had any Steam Punk stuff in awhile. Here is one of my favourite threads from Darkview:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...Blunder+Bettie

And here too

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=9352

Steam Punk? More please.

Cap'n
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Ok then...
only a few images available right now, have to take them from my facebook page until i can get more taken.
First the Tesla Rifle and Tesla Carbine, very similiar to each other, but the Tesla Rifle has an Etheric collimator on the end of the barrel to prevent range reducing dispersion on contact with the atmosphere, the carbine being designed for shorter range doesnt have that.
Rifle

Carbine

Tesla pistol 'Air Pirate' conversion

Edison Accelerator (magnetic rail gun)
Used by the 'Promethean' terrorist organization who have as their aim the prevention of tesla's heresies from reaching, or at least spreading within, the US. This weapon ,ironically based on one of Tesla's many patents, is popular with the Prometheans due to its ease of use and almost silent operation.

The pistol version

Tesla pocket pistol (my first and still one of my favourites)

And lastly, Somewhat later, designed for the British Space Navy in my alternate game world. The 1943 Tesla gun Mk 5, otherwise known as a 'Ray Gun'....

And just because i am very pleased with the way they turned out (even though the miniatures are unpainted.)
Anglo-German Aerial battleship from 1918

detail

and the SE-12 Siren and Banshee Air Pirate fighter minis

Hmmm, that is a lot of images, let me know if i need to remove some for ease of viewing/bandwidth issues

Anyway, Hope you like my stuff, as i said before any opinions good or bad are welcome
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default A more civilised age....

Like doesn't even come close, bloody brilliant is more the ticket

Construction photos of work in progress if you have any please? I love these conversions, it's a first class lesson on how to finish and antique in wood and brass style.

I like the triplanes too, great offset wing design looks the business. Can you tell us more about using a 3D Printer, perhaps an article on the process? I think the next generation of model makers will wonder how us ole' timers ever got by with tools like them.

We had considered running a Steam Punk Space inspired 1999 contest, I think we will look at this again after the Christmas Holiday.

Thanks Flash, most satisfactory.....

Cap'n

Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thank you very much, i will see if i can did up some WIP type photos, i have a few somewhere from posting on one of the LJ steampunk forums.

I have been toying with the idea of doing some Gerry Anderson type ships so I would definitely be interested in steam conversion etc
To be honest im not sure what i can tell you about the 3d printing process, I just build a model in a 3d rendering program then convert it to an appropriate file format and send it to Shapeways the company that converts it to solid. Im one of those old codgers *L* My mum still has a pic of me looking proud with my first Spitfire model back in 1973.
Of course with any new technology there are teething problems *L* I one received a Martian with one foot ( the feet were tiny separate items an two got lost in the process, but they fixed it quickly,and one time the guns on one of my War Rockets didn't print (my fault i was just learning the system and hadn't learned to gauge tolerances). But they are good about fixing issues and 99% of the time i get things as i designed them and it is very rare that my customers have any sort of issues with their orders.

Evidently there are, i think, 3 forms of 3d printers.
The Plastic extruder: the most affordable one but it just cannot get the level of detail i need for miniatures (my aerial battleship is only around 4.5 inches) works as the name implies, with a hot nozzle extruding plastic in layers.
Compound injector: Sort of like super glue with a powder compound built up in extremely thin layers, versatile since it can be left white or made metallic or coloured. Also has different textures available, i usually use 'White Strong and Flexible, the basic material but a good balance between detail and strength. This is the kind that shapeways and from what i can tell the majority of fabricator companies use...The machines are prohibitively expensive though, A friend and i are wanting to go into business with game design and miniature production, and produce our own rather than send them out to be made, but 32,000 dollars is a bit much *L*
And lastly (i could be wrong about this, i have been using the 3d production system this for less than a year) there is a method using incredibly thin layers of sheeting that are cut to shape and built up, these printers are a balance between affordable and detail, from what i can tell they give close to as good a detail level as the powder/glue system but are a lot cheaper.

I have used the 3d process to fabricate detail parts for kitbashing which is very useful and affordable, I made a engine bell nozzle 1" long and it cost about 3 and a half dollars (need a new main engine for your Hawk, build it in 3d and have it made *L*) but the drawback is that items cannot usually be more than about 12" in size.which is a moot point i guess since after a certain amount of mass the items start becoming prohibitively more expensive rapidly (5" battleship = 12 dollars, 8" battleship 30 dollars)

Not really giving much info but as i said, i am relatively new to this as well.

The site i use is www.shapeways.com, they have more info on the process.
And my pages
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/einargosric
with more of my designs *L*
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up 3D and Steam Punk, the past is the future....

Well I can think of one hundred and one uses right away, making hollow parts for the Puppet builders on the site and a whole slew of master parts for SPV's and the like, the Vigor track and wheel hunters will be chuffed too, they 20 sided dice is more complicated that the Eagle equipment cases at 1:24th Scale....

I could go on and on, gratitude for the information, I have some learning to do.

Would love to see more Steam Punk stuff, we have talked about 1999 crossovers before, I can well imagine a brass clad Eagle with a train boiler module and those little Victorian flourishes.

Shapeways are based in the Netherlands, here is a company based in the UK: http://rapido3d.co.uk/ All have great information on their respective homepages.

Cap'n
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

I have checked Rapido out they seem to be a good company, But the convenience of having ones own shop on the site makes a big difference. if Rapido went that route it would be a good thing.
After i finish the Space Pirate Battleship im working on now i think i might try a steampunk Eagle, or at least something along those lines, It would be an interesting challenge, especially since i have a hard time duplicating something from looking at it, but then again a steam powered Eagle will by its nature look somewhat different than the standard so i can run with it a bit.
Oh, and for those (like me less than a year ago)) new to 3d modelling wings 3d is a free program that while not quite as capable as some of the more expensive programs is very user friendly and definitely designed for ease of use, i still use it now despite having 'better' programs on my computer.

Last edited by Flashheart; 12-12-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #14
Kinserfan11
Medical Technician

I Really like the world War 1 Airplanes !!!
Kinserfan11 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thank you, i m happy with the way they came out, they are supposed to be the first Tesla capacitor powered fighters from my alternate gaming world where WW1 goes on until 1926. I have a friend who makes the genuine (Spad, Fokker etc) WW1 fighters in the same scale, makes for fun gaming *L*

Old 20-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

Excellent work all round, there Flashheart!

Just as a matter of interest, have you been over to the Brass Goggles forum?

I'm certain that all the folk there would be glad to see your work!
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Steampunkers....

Hi Doctor,

I joined, good stuff be there.....

Cap'n
Old 21-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Funnily enough i have known about it for a while but never got around to joining, i should rectify that ..thanx

And a Merry Xmas to all
Old 22-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

The 'Air Pirate' Tesla Pistol looks like a Luger conversion. How did you make the body? Im sure there is room for an Imperial Guard laspistol conversion there. Great models, very impressed with them
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

Thank you. You were close, it is built on Mauser C-96 frame. Actually all i did was take apart an airsoft Mauser remove the mechanism and build the Tesla mechanics around it.
Amazing what one can do with junk, candle holders, crystal lamp cords, old springs and a brass toilet paper holder.
In the world it is designed for the first production Tesla energy pistols were built on Mauser pistol frames because the magazine well was the right size for the power supply...(Although to be honest that is just an excuse, it was really just because i like the Mauser, probably why i have built so many Star Wars variants around it *L*)
We moved house recently and most of my boxes of parts are in the garage where i cant get to them which is frustrating as i am in a prop/gun building mood oh well i will get back to it soon...