Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Default 1/48th Scale Airfix TSR-2

Well I got my pre-ordered TSR-2 in today. All I can say is 'Wow', this is a big aircraft in this scale and it makes me glad I didn't relent and pay the 'collectors' prices on Ebay for the previously limited release 1/72nd scale.

This is a bit of a beef of mine with Airfix, especially in their latter years, they still are relying on ancient moulds and kits that are nowhere near the match of the competition, and the competition isn't even that much more expensive now in many cases. Yet when Airfix release a new model like the TSR-2 they foolishly make it a 'limited' edition which only encourages the gits that buy them by the shovelload and then try to sell them with a big markup on Ebay.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Oooh lovely! A celebrated 'cult aircraft' and one I'm very interested in.

While I assume you'll be going for the authentic all-white paint scheme, ISTR a few TSR-2 models in 'speculative' liveries: 1980s RAF green & grey 'wrap around' camouflage, Operation GRANBY desert tan, and even a RAAF TSR-2 in the three-tone paint job we used to have on the F-111s.

Will you please post some pics when it's done?
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

As a matter of fact I won't be going for the All White scheme, I ordered a sheet of Xtradecals from Hannants. I ordered the second sheet shown in this site

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/x72059reviewrk_1.htm

I'm thinking in doing the green/grey scheme in 617 Squadron colours, to match the print I have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAC-TSR2-617-S...3A1|240%3A1318

If I could afford it, I would buy another and do it in the all-white.
Old 19-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Cool!
Old 19-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Got mine today also. Lovely. I'll go for the XR219 version for sure.

(I also quite fancy that raspberry ripple 'what if' scheme on the Xtradecal sheet)

I'm very proud to say that I had the pleasure of meeting Roland Beamont (the test pilot) and his wife at Duxford Imperial War Museum many years ago.

Both lovely people, but sadly no longer with us.
JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Living in Salisbury-with Boscombe Down the TSR2's home about 15 minutes up the way, the model shop ordered 50. And they are going fast. All the guys who worked on it are buying one or two each so they can have them in Boscome colours etc. I'll probably get to se most of them, being part of the local IPMS branch and all.
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

The Special Interest Groups will be snapping them up quickly to do various 'What if' schemes I imagine.

Though I also imagine a fair few will be hoarded to sell on Ebay at inflated prices. I played it smart this time and pre-ordered from Hannants months before it was available.
Old 25-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Out of interest I don't know the story of this plane so if anyone can give the details that would be great. Why was it scraped? When did it almost fly etc.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Google is our friend.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That sounds like something a sinister government department would say. Wikipedia is most helpful as well. Politics
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #11
TK1608
Travel Tube Technician

Would've been a fantastic aircraft, had so much potential. Never went into service 'cos of the Short sited British Government....

Prolly should add, short sited British Government of the time..

Phil
TK1608 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

I was lucky I stopped at Hannants last Saturday and when I walked in the door I could nt believe my eyes,there were three TSR2s sitting on the bottom shelf!They d just come in that Wednesday and were flying out the door(I tried to avoid that pun but could nt think of anything else).

I do hope they push ahead with the 1/48 Vulcan as well.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Good luck to Airfix, about time they had a break.
Jade said that the airfix moulds are ancient, very true (recently made a 1/72 Spitfire i had hanging around...bleugh awful stuff). But since they were taken by Hornby their have been some new moulds produced and the resurrection of older ones. The also bought out several smaller british companies, like JD in Peterborough. But most of this drive is in the vehicles department, to supplement the Hornby Railways.
Old 26-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
Good luck to Airfix, about time they had a break.
Jade said that the airfix moulds are ancient, very true (recently made a 1/72 Spitfire i had hanging around...bleugh awful stuff). But since they were taken by Hornby their have been some new moulds produced and the resurrection of older ones. The also bought out several smaller british companies, like JD in Peterborough. But most of this drive is in the vehicles department, to supplement the Hornby Railways.
I remember the old, rathr ancient Airfix railway kits like the Engine shed, the Platforms and the Footbridge which were all rather good in their day. Apparently those moulds got sold to a company called Dapol. If you ever want railway stuff, look up the Pocketbond catalogue, which is a distributors, and there's a rather excellent line of railway buildings and scenery including modular station buildings, terraced houses, bungalows, and the like.

Some of the old Airfix stuff is rather good still, I recently got hold of their 1/72nd scale Sunderland which is still a good model, but the thing that puzzles me about something like the TSR-2 which was such a big seller is that they make these 'limited editions' while still constantly flogging stuff which is more than 30 years old. Even Tamiya have had to ease up on that.
Old 26-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Yeah my local model shop has Pocketbond and Dapol. I know what you mean, Airfix work in funny ways...

Old 26-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Out of interest I don't know the story of this plane so if anyone can give the details that would be great. Why was it scraped? When did it almost fly etc.
There's lots of stuff about the TSR2 on the web - as I wrote earlier, it's something of a 'cult aircraft'. Apart from Wikipedia, see also:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/index.php
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-histo...ry-merged.html
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles..._tsr2long.html
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29478
http://www.spyflight.co.uk/TSR2.htm
http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2006/tsr2/tsr2.htm
http://www.stevebroadbent.net/tsr2memories.html

... and that's just for starters.
Old 27-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
The "Flypast" historic aviation magazine forum has a couple of current TSR-2 threads ongoing at the moment. They make very interesting reading as a lot of the posts are from people who actually worked on the project at the time. It's amazing how such an old aircraft can still generate such heated debate.
Give these a go, you wont be dissapointed paticulary the memories thread as this one gives the human side of the cancellation.
If you are ever in the vicinity & want to see the real aircraft Duxford & Cosford museums have the two remaining prototypes on display.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70343
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=87670
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62591
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The tragedy is that at least one of the finished aircraft was used for target practice at a gunnery range and destroyed by artillery.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
steve36uk
Communications Officer

At the same time we also cancelled the supersonic Harrier and the CVA01 Aircraft Carrier, Binned our Carrier Strike force and most of our useful overseas bases-wonder why it is I never trust Labour on defence,tho oddly the Tories have actually caused more damage in reality.
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
The tragedy is that at least one of the finished aircraft was used for target practice at a gunnery range and destroyed by artillery.
Yes, that's right.

Unbelievably that target subject was XR219, the only TSR-2 airframe that ever flew.
JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote