Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Default Action 21 Magazine

I've been seeing listings for Action 21 on Ebay and was wondering if anyone here had any opinions regarding this magazine. I'm thinking about ordering it, but wanted more info first.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

I have the complete run of these but its been a while since I read them, they were a pretty good attempt at recreating the TV Century 21 newspaper style. The stories were all reprints from the original but I cant remember if there was any new editorial content and I dont have access to my copies at the moment.
The only real fault I would say was that the art suffered slightly by being reproduced smaller than the original printing, but if you are just looking to read the stories then this is as good a way as any to do so, of course it depends on the asking price, you might be better off searching out the originals.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

ACTION 21 is a great start point for anyone without the originals. However as has been mentioned there is already a great large format TV21 reprint available on AMAZON compiled by Sam Mitchell and Graham Bleathman but there is also a prestige format reprint set coming in March which is going to cover a great deal of the classic TV21 stuff in a large size too and will be in a number of volumes. As has been discussed let's support this and other new Gerry Anderson books or DVDS or any merhcandise rather than resorting to copying things. A scanned copy of an old TV21 will of course not affect the original publishers of TV21 from the 1960s but it could affect the sales of the new book and future releases of this type if forums are awash with poorly scanned strips. I am not a policeman or anything else and have no equity in this book or any other but it makes sense to me really. An odd section of art or an advert is not a problem and we all do that of course but page after page of stuff that will soon be available in a quality beyond anything we'll see here is just a waste of time. There are many posts here about how wonderful TV21 is and rightly so. Well now there is a chance to show that admiration and again the Sam Mitchell compilation is still available and this book along with the new ones will I'm sure cover almost everything anyone could ever wish for.

AmazonAmazon
AmazonAmazon

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 21-01-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

As with Sam's book the new one will cover the TV based strips. This is what sells and attracts fans as well as casual 'punters' too. As a huge fan of all the strips with a large collection of originals I do understand fully why the black and white things like THE INVESTIGATOR or CATCH OR KILL are not reprinted. The appeal is just not there even for a comic/Anderson nut. The publisher are doing as much colour as possible so it seems daft not to pack it with Bellamy, Embleton and Noble if they possibly can. Whether the covers are in there I don't know. I would guess that if these volumes sell and they are looking to expand the range a book of the covers alone would be a fantastic idea as many Marvel and DC books have been released showing just covers. Maybe you should pitch this idea to Reynolds and Hearn and offer your collection to them to use. I'd certainly buy it.
Old 21-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Given what I understand of this book and hear through the grapevine the publishers do have access to a complete set of TV21s but knowing there were others with an interest and a willingness to loan them to them would I'm sure be a welcome piece of knowledge for them.

Old 21-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

Most issues of ACTION 21 are still available from the publishers

www.startrader.co.uk

Check out the magazines section of their online catalogue
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Great knowing they still have this stuff. Good link mate.
Old 21-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

I'm eagle(ly) awaiting these new compilations but I would be surprised if they have the individual covers if for no other reason than the stories may not be reflected in the cover copy. I also cant see the B/W strips being reproduced unless they exhaust the full colour strips first and even then the more obscure stories wont see the light of day as they wouldnt be economic to re-print, which is a shame.
Titan were planning to produce chronological reprints of the old B/W IPC strips but these seem to have stalled after the "Spider" and "Steel Claw" volumes, mind you Carlton and Prion seem to have struck a chord with their "Commando" and "War / Battle / Air ace" collections so maybe i'm wrong.
Covers are a different matter again, whether a book solely devoted to them would sell or not I dont know, yes the fans would buy them but would the average punter ? paticularly if it was produced large format and to a high standard ( like the "Dan Dare" Hawk books of a few years back) which equals high unit cost. The Marvel & DC efforts at this can't really be compared as the production standard isnt the same and are aimed at a different market (rabid fanboys rather than 40 something nostalgia buffs
For those of a sensitive nature cover your eye's at this point.....
I have vivid memories from my youth (unfortunately) of cutting the covers of my copies of TV Century 21 and pasting them into scrapbooks then throwing the rest away when my parents complained that I had too many comics laying around the house, if only someone had stopped me

On a more happy note here is a partial list of the stories being featured in the new books taken from Steve Holland's excellent "Bear Alley" british comics blog. Are any of these B/W ?

http://www.bearalley.blogspot.com/

Century 21 Volume 1
Fireball XL5 - The Astran Assassination (artwork by Mike Noble)
Stingray - The Haunting of Station 17 (Ron Embleton)
Stingray - Superjunk (Gerry Embleton)
Thunderbirds - The Devil's Crag (Frank Bellamy)
Thunderbirds - Starburst (Brian Lewis)
Lady Penelope - The Luvenium Affair (Frank Langford)
Zero X - Planet of Bones (Mike Noble)
Captain Scarlet - The Football King (Mike Noble)
Captain Scarlet - Leviathan (Don Harley)
plus a few others...

Century 21 Volume 2
Fireball - Invasion of the Ants
Stingray - Monster Weed Menace
Thunderbirds - Operation Death Probe
Captain Scarlet - Deadly Sea
and much, much more...

Century 21: Classic Comic Strips from the Worlds of Gerry Anderson Volume 1 and Volume 2 will be released in March in paperback and in limited-edition hardback.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks for all of the great info. I have had little opportunity to read the original TV 21 apart from some collected Thunderbirds comics. Since TV 21 included comics for Stingray, Captain Scarlet, and ZERO-X I'm all the more interested.
Old 21-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

The list of stories sounds good too. A very reasonable cross-section of artists and strips too from the various eras of the comic. As much as I love them it is nice not to just see Bellamy/Noble and Embleton and nothing else. It gives a real flavour of the diversity of work seen in the pages of TV21. I for one can't wait. I have probably 160/170 different editions but it won't stop me getting these books as my copies are always a nightmare to look at because some of the pages are delicate and even nicely preserved ones are thin on the folds and stuff so I guess we can look forward to a real dream come true for fans of the comic over the next year or so as the range expands. Thanks for the link Sage.

http://new.startrader.co.uk/cgi-bin/...A2101#aMGA2101

For those who want a direct link here it is at STAR TRADER. David Nightingale and Mike Reccia for me are legends in Anderson Fandom and their reputations as top blokes too is very well deserved. Can't say enough for two very nice guys who paved the way for those who followed too in my opinion.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 21-01-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Old 21-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

I went to Amazon and signed up to be alerted when the two volumes become available.
Old 22-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Count me in for these as well!Thats the first i ve heard of them.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

From what I understand as the volumes progress they will include whatever they can from other Anderson publications of the period as well as the various specials. They have access to the original complete runs of these things so let's hope so. It will of course depend on the economics and the sales of the first couple of volumes though like any commercial venture I'd imagine. LADY PENELOPE does have some incredible artwork in it and I know it will be included given the passion the guys behind this project clearly have. The Langford strips are lovely but personally the Embleton U.N.C.L.E. stuff is just incredible. He even appears in one of them as a master forger! A photo of him too painting an Illya portrait later given away as a competition prize. Way better art than anything in the Gold Key U.N.C.L.E. comics in my opinion and that is nice enough.
Old 22-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

These sound excellent. I'll certainly be getting them too.

Quote:
I have vivid memories from my youth (unfortunately) of cutting the covers of my copies of TV Century 21 and pasting them into scrapbooks
Yes, so did I. Eventually I threw most of my photo albums out, thinking I "had grown up" and wouldn't need them again. I never expected to still making models of these 40 odd years later!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

While I'm also enthusiastic about the TV21 reprint books (which are years overdue, given the artists and subject matter involved), I'm a little wary of how they will deal with the original pages drawn across the centre of the comic spreads.

Even the 1990's comic reprints, with their simple 2-staple binding, had page alignment problems throughout those runs. I truly hope the publishers take that into account when putting the printed books together, as cheap and thoughtless binding will bury a small, vertical section of artwork at the centre and make some of the text difficult to read.

Anyway, while the original comics in TV21's flat, newspaper style format are the best way to view the strips, I still think it's a courageous move to compile the graphic stories into printed volumes. Kudos to the publishers!

BTW and slightly off topic: Was Frank Bellamy's brilliant work on 'Heros the Spartan' from Eagle comic ever reprinted? I've only seen partial page samples from the strip online which look absolutely amazing. Anyone know or can direct me to a source? Thanks!
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
However as has been mentioned there is already a great large format TV21 reprint available on AMAZON compiled by Sam Mitchell and Graham Bleathman ... and again the Sam Mitchell compilation is still available and this book along with the new ones will I'm sure cover almost everything anyone could ever wish for.
Thanks for the plug Jim ! You wouldn't believe the problems Graham and I had putting the book together !

Regarding the reprinting of Frank Bellamy and other full centre page spreads, this is a huge problem with reprint books. The spreads worked reasonably well in the Carlton reprint book, but trying to print them over two pages is not an ideal way to reproduce them. I notice from the list of stories printed for the Reynolds and Hearn book that the Thunderbirds strip they've chosen is one of the later separate double page stories, so no problems with reproduction - not sure about the Penelope though. If this is a Langford from the comic then it will be a full double page.

And given the sheer amount of material printed in TV21, the chances of it all being reproduced is pretty unlikely - and I wonder how big a market there actually is. Carlton were only interested in volume sales, and the classic comic strip book didn't really sell enough for them to bring out further volumes. I'm sure Reynolds and Hearn have lower overheads, but whether there is the market to support a continuing series is another matter.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Did TV 21 ever include vehicle schematics and diagrams or was that just in the annuals?
Old 24-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Yep! They did all of that type of stuff too. Mike Noble some and an artist, who I think may be Eric Eden from the vague facial features shown of Spectrum Captains inside them, did some for the CAPTAIN SCARLET vehicles. Very detailed and nicely done though.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
Yep! They did all of that type of stuff too. Mike Noble some and an artist, who I think may be Eric Eden from the vague facial features shown of Spectrum Captains inside them, did some for the CAPTAIN SCARLET vehicles. Very detailed and nicely done though.
That's great! I hope the reprints will include these features.
Old 25-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William0999 View Post
That's great! I hope the reprints will include these features.
From what I've heard about the reprint books, it doesn't look as if they will - Happy to be proved wrong though !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote