Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Default 60's Batman DVD's?

Hi!
Is anyone here aware of any plans to release the old 60's TV Batman episodes on DVD?
I know the 60's film was released, and great fun it is too; I'd just love to have those old classics to re-live.... I used to adore it as a 5 - 6 yr old
Cheers...

***OOOPS! Just realised i've put this in the wrong section....sorry

Last edited by yarvelling; 22-01-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Cuz i'm a bit of a twit!
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
hwels
Communications Officer

Scroll down a bit to:

WHO WATCHES THE BATMAN DVDS?

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18162

Looks like a problem with the rights.
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Looks like a problem with the rights.
Yeah, i had a feeling it was something like that last time i tried to see if it had been released. Such a brill series. Probably influenced a whole generation of comedy the way they played it straight faced. It has an added appeal for me as a Bruce Lee fan, because there was one or two crossover episodes between this show and The Green Hornet. Lets hope they get it sorted out sometime soon.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Its a right pain in the ain, but something that doesn't look like it'll be resolved soon.
Been transfering all my Granada+ episodes to DVD lately, partly to have each one easily accessable, but mainly to lose the hideously dated 80's ads.
Could have just recorded the run on BBC3/4 just lately, but never seem to be in for it.
As an aside, and a nod to the babe thread, Newmar over Merriwether any time:

MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaMax View Post
, Newmar over Merriwether any time:
Oh yes !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Thanks foe the info and link; I thought it may be a problem with ownership/rights.....bit of a sod, that!
Old 23-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I thought I'd seen it released. I'd grab it with both hands. We've just about worn the movie out.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I thought I'd seen it released.
Your not completely wrong there Tony, and you may well have seen some Batman series DVDs knocking around, if you looked in the right place of course.

I have a complete series one box set that I purchased from eBay, (where else) around September of last year for abound 20 inc P+P.

How to describe what I bought, well lets just say the box set is not exactly an official release and leave it at that! Although the picture quality is OK it does suffer slightly from compression issues, granted there a lot of episodes in season one.

Say no more, I find it surprising what you can actually buy on eBay that does not breach their listing policies. Hmmm, now how many copies of exclusive Fanderson DVDs have I reported to eBay from two French sellers recently that are never removed and keep repeatedly being listed, just because the listing does not 'breach' the listing policy, as in the thread with Eagles packing case, double bloody standards time again.

Anyway I am in no way advocating that anyone look on eBay for the Batman season one DVD set, but if you did happen to visit eBay and did a search, you may just find something of interest.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

It does all boil down to legal issues. Indeed if you guys have seen the TV movie from a few years ago called "Return to the Batcave" starring Adam and Burt, all the original Batman TV show scenes you see on TV sets playing in the background is stuff taken from the movie. They didn't use any images only found in the TV show (although they did recreate sets, props and certain scenes from the show in flashback sequences). I think it will happen eventually tough as who would have thought we would have seen the Barris Batmobile done up as a licensed diecast in my lifetime (Corgi diecasts not withstanding) after the wrangling over licensing issues that Barris and DC kit.

Every year though, the pockets of the parties involved keep getting deeper. Only thing I can hope for is the economic crisis gets bad enough that the parties talk to one another and decide issueing Batman on DVD is needed to give them some petty cash. That is why Universal has been diving into their TV archives afterall, because their movie investments haven't been paying off quite like they should and they needed some petty cash.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

"but if you did happen to visit eBay and did a search, you may just find something of interest."
Gruddamit Tony B, you just cost me 8.99

Old 23-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Not for me I'd rather wait for a proper release. You can never guarantee the quality otherwise.
Old 24-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

True, true - but 8.99's a lot cheaper than the amount it'd cost me in blank DVD's to copy all my hideous, hissy 20 year-old video tapes, plus i get a printed box too.
Old 24-01-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Did it come out on video.... or..... well yes that's true.
Old 24-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Amazing what 'interesting' things can be found on Ebay... According to the only seller (at least, on UK based search), the old TV series is now in the 'Public Domain'..... Thats not 'exactly' in keeping with what was stated in the Comicbookresources link where it's claimed that Fox still own the TV Series rights.
Anyway, I hope that Fox and Warners can sort this issue...who got paid when the BBC showed it again recently (which I spectacularly failed to see!!)...and what's so different in re-showing it on TV, and releasing it on DVD? Someone has to be paid under both eventualities...

Last edited by yarvelling; 24-01-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: crap typing!
Old 24-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Public domain.... that chesnutt is bandied around a lot on ebay

Old 24-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
Huntsman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaMax View Post
"That's one hot pussy!"

Huntsman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Specially with all those light bulbs blazing around its neck.
Old 25-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Nice to see the old TV show from the 1960s get a mention here. As a kid, and to this day, the character in all his forms but especially in the '66 TV show has always been a huge favourite of mine. The whole DVD release thing has been debated for years on the various BATMAN forums but I think we'll just have to wait. If you are desperate take a chance on an eBay DVD set or keep your eyes open for normal airings on the telly as over the last 20 years even in England it has been on numerous times. I have only a modest collection of stuff as my interests cover so much of the stuff I loved as a kid with Anderson taking the lion's share of that but here are some shots of my Batman display cabinet. Mostly custom figures I've made with some vintage stuff too along with the more recent HOT WHEELS which are great. Top part of the collection for me is the replica cowl made by a pro costumier in America from a mold of an original cowl using the same fabric as back then too. Not an original as I am never going to get one of those and I think there are only a couple still around anyway but as close as I will ever have so I am pretty happy with it.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 25-01-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

That Batman with hands on hips figure to the left of the Batmobile in the first shot i SO cherished as a kid.
Got one again yonks back on the 'Bay, along with a Robin. They're crudely done and the paints almost gone, but i still love them dearly.
Old 26-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

One cannot help but wonder that the recent court case where Fox tried to prevent Warners from releasing the Watchmen film, and which has now been settled after Warners lost, was a negotiating tactic from Fox to get Warners to agree to a deal regarding the Batman TV series' rights.
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote