Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Default 40 years ago...

On the 24th January 1969, the puppet stages at Century 21 closed, bringing an end to Supermarionation...
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Incredible. Time flies and all that. I'm still amazed that something that ran for such a short time in the scheme of things still blows the rest out of the water. Give it a few minutes of "oh look at the strings" and young and old alike are hooked. Hats off to them, I wish I could have been there in the studios and lived through it all. Glad too that I'm the youngest of four and got to live it with and through my older siblings.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Incredible. Time flies and all that. I'm still amazed that something that ran for such a short time in the scheme of things still blows the rest out of the water. Give it a few minutes of "oh look at the strings" and young and old alike are hooked. Hats off to them, I wish I could have been there in the studios and lived through it all. Glad too that I'm the youngest of four and got to live it with and through my older siblings.
I think much of that being 'amazed' is due to the fact that Supermarionation was new and unique back in the 60's; nothing had ever been seen like it on television before, and the designs were decades ahead of their time! It was an amazing decade for kids TV with so much brand new, clever, and unique stuff appearing; Anderson, Dr Who, Batman, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Man From Uncle, etc. All childhood favourites, and i consider myself lucky to have been 4-5 when they first came out and could experience their magic first-hand.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The fact is they still blow people away. Nothing matches it even now. Its the same amazement that floored people when Toy Story came out, the key, as we've said on other threads, is a darn good story line. There have been lots of copies and very little that gets close.
Old 27-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
captainjamie
Communications Officer

I'm glad I'm not a kid now. There's no comparison between the Supermarionation stuff and what passes for kids' tv now.
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Funny about anniversarys, but i was looking at my Thunderbirds book a few days ago, and as i recall, Jeff Tracy was born Jan 2009 ! (cant remember the specific date but its in the book) ... just think, the man who ran the whole thunderbirds show's toughest assignment right now would probably be filling his nappy ... (theoretically at least)
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post
Funny about anniversarys, but i was looking at my Thunderbirds book a few days ago, and as i recall, Jeff Tracy was born Jan 2009 ! (cant remember the specific date but its in the book) ... just think, the man who ran the whole thunderbirds show's toughest assignment right now would probably be filling his nappy ... (theoretically at least)
What? Jeff Tracy was only 27 in Thunderbirds?

*Can of worms opened*
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
What? Jeff Tracy was only 27 in Thunderbirds?

*Can of worms opened*
Depending on where he obtained the character background details, John Peel; author of "Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet-The Authorised Programme Guide", Jeff Tracy was still a young man when he became: quote- 'one of the first men to sedt foot on the Moon. This occurred shortly after the turn of the millenium'.
That would be anywhere between 2000 - 2005 -ish! I would say then that Jeff must have been born somewhere between about 1975 -1980.....ish!!
But then, as dates seen in various episodes indicate 2026 and 2066, I doubt that even the production team had bothered too much to establish a proper background history for their characters!

*Can we consider the lid has been replaced on the can of worms?!*
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Almost impossible to do a biography without a firm date. It's all supposition from one line Kyrano utters in the first episode.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Almost impossible to do a biography without a firm date. It's all supposition from one line Kyrano utters in the first episode.
And a date on a calendar in the last !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I love these battles, and timelines and other such fun.... It wouldn't matter of course if these things weren't actually real, but of course, they are...
Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
In my opinion childrens's programmes over the last 10 or 15 years (maybe even going back to the eighties) have been created to sell a line of toys. So they are really nothing more than extended advertisments.
Gerry Anderson and his team created imaginative programmes and the toys followed as a result of the popular appeal of the concepts and not vice versa as appears to be the case today.

Thunderbirds and Thunderball(only noticed that when I typed it!!) are recognized for setting the standard of tie-ins and merchandising we have today.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote