Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default Restoring a Dinky Interceptor

Well, I'm inspired to follow suit with everyone else and restore my spare Interceptor. I have all the bits and except the legs which are now ordered.

The example I have is interesting because its one of the few that were given cut down Joe 90 figures instead of the standard ones. The whole effect is pretty poor as young Joe isn't even close to the right size and never made it to the Moon anyway. The actually pilot that came with these isn't really large enough either, and his Douglas Bader impersonation isn't that flash anyway. So.... as I'm not restoring this to original as my flight of three already are, I'm now planning to make some adjustments to the cockpit so that a slightly larger figure can be seated in it. I also have to remove the remains of the chrome plating so that the insert (pictured) can be properly painted.

Please pardon the fuzziness at the front of the picture. My camera informed me that the focus was at the front, but its turned up at the rear as it were.

Once this is done I shall post the results. The next step is stripping the green paint in preparation for undercoating and some white.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ok, done some initial scraping of chrome and removing of the material around the pilot's chair. This is very easy to do BTW as the plastic is soft, but good and strong (kids being the users normally)

I've decided to use the pilot from the airfix Angel Interceptor as he/she is a larger figure (too large for the Interceptor, I have a smaller pilot for when that is to be built). The question is, is she/he large enough? I am constrained by the space in the cockpit and the position of the chair, but I'm happy with the size.... depending of the general consensus

As I don't have the right lighting here I'm having trouble get decent pictures to post, but one shows the seat area cut out and the other gives a vague idea of the size of the pilot in the cockpit. The pilot is way larger than the standard Dinky one, and old Joe 90 ends up looking like a toddler

For those who don't know, these are tumb nails so you click on them.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, that's why its a good candidate. Yep I think I'll stick with her, she'll be the first female Interceptor pilot on Moon base. Not sure how the purple wig will fit under the helmet, but never mind.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Tony, what scale is the Airfix Angel? Your pilot looks fine; maybe a touch too big? When I replaced the pilot in my Dinky Interceptor I used a spare 1/72nd scale fighter pilot that had been kicking around, looking bored, in my very old 'box of bits'...!! He looks fine; possibly a bit small?
It's hard to judge really, as I don't recall ever seeing a decent cockpit close-up in the show that would give the relative size of pilot to craft!
Anyway, good luck with the restoration...have fun

Cheers,
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Interesting question. One always assumes the Airfix Interceptor is HO/OO and the pilot is simply too big. The Dinky Interceptor scale is anyone's guess and the pilot is just too small. Going, that is, by the pilot in the cabin as seen here
http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/mooninterceptor.htm on Mark 42's page and here http://ufoseries.com/photos/intercep...ForTakeoff.jpg on the UFO page, even the Airfix pilot may be a tad small. The Giant stuffed into the PE effort isn't anywhere near right either, so I'll do the compromise thing and stick with the Airfix girl.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Look forward to seeing how this one comes along mate. Obviously with two of you guys in the middle of Interceptor restorations please don't make it a race. Just take your time as I am sure both versions will have their merits. Can't wait to see them. The figure is always a problem on these whether you dig around for something new or retain an original Joe or a pilot. For me as long as the overall impression is right it doesn't matter on something that small. It is the body of the vehicle that really is the important aspect. Can't wait to see the end results.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Hi Jim...there's no race...you've already seen mine in another thread here...

Tony, actually, your pilot may well be the better size! Looking again at those photos you link-to...I think I see the overall problem with the Dinky in this respect; the cockpit floor is too high, making almost the whole pilot's body visible. If the floor could be cut away and re-constructed lower (could be tricky 'cause of the missile firing mechanism directly below), then a larger pilot could be used, with mainly just the head/shoulders being visible through the canopy (as with the photos). You may even be able to use upto 1/48th scale without it looking 'off' in that case. If you don't mind removing the firing gear then it probably wouldn't be too difficult to rebuild. As the canopy is so large, it may look better if a more accurate and detailed cockpit where to be made as it's going to be fairly clearly visible!
If you want to keep more of the original 'toy' look, then i would definately stick with the Angel Pilot!
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Not you mate. I think Thunder God is in the process of doing one too. All I meant was that if the two take their time the results will be even better.
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=7634
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Ahh...! I misunderstood your posting! Sorry
Steve.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Oi ! Is someone taking my name in vain? Actually , I've no choice but to take my time with this project , first of all , the primer I'm using takes a couple of days to dry/cure properly . Then , when I applied the top coat , for some reason it reacted badly on the bottom fuselage part resulting in the dreaded "orange peel" effect . Cue more Nitromors and this time I've used Halfords primer ( like I should have done in the first place!). The problem there though is that the primer is grey , so I'm hoping this won't affect the colour match when I top coat it! The good news is that the TOP of the fuselage is looking good. Anyway , sorry about hijacking your thread Tony , I'll get back to mine now . And keep the noise down , I'm trying to get some sleep down here!
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its not hijacking, its adding to the info. That's why we post what we're doing so other people can get the info too. I'm not a competitive person and I don't even yet have any paint. That won't come till next week's pay.

As for the pilot, I think you're right yarvelling, I was wondering about 1:48, I have a feeling that one could wip the pilot (about that scale) out of the PE one and use it in the Dinky. It would I think be about right. I won't lower the chair, the pilot still looks good sitting up a bit, but it might be nice to transplant the PE cockpit into the Dinky.

I am in two minds about the missile mechanism, but it would mean filling the hole in the side of the body if I didn't use it so I think it will stay. You could do a very nice job filling the body getting rid of seems etc, but I've just kept to the extra molding flash. The thing would have to be assembled for painting if the gaps were removed and it is a Dinky after all.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I'm really looking forward to the outcome on both these projects. I have another Eagle which I may take a crack at myself and go that extra yard some of you have on it. There are a few on eBay at the moment for spares and they seem to be going pretty high which is a shame as most seem just worth trashing for certain parts. May have to bit the bullet though. I would also appreciate any In Progress shots from you guys too. Like you say new bits of advice or tips and tricks are always handy. Old dogs do learn new tricks despite the old adage!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

What's exciting me about this project is deciding upon how far to take the "improving" of the model/toy . If I wanted a super- accurate replica , I'd build a detailed kit ,but with this ,I still want it to have the look and feel of a "Dinky Toy" and be something that I'm not afraid of my little boy (and myself , of course ) being able to handle and play with . This includes paint finish , weathering , markings etc. Saying that , I've found some nice "warning" and stencilling decals from an aircraft kit I'd forgotten I had ( I'm sure there's a particular type of Altzheimers that effects modellers!) that are crying out to be used , so I might bend my own rules as far as that . Another interesting point , a couple of mates of mine, of a similar age to me, who are not modellers and have no interest in all this "nonsense" , are showing tremendous interest in THIS little project! It goes to show , if there's one thing that unites a/our generation , it's its affection to the Anderson Dinky stuff . But then , that's stating the bleedin' obvious isn't it !
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #14
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Totally with you on all counts mate. Dinky Toys, Action man, Scalextric and a few other things will suddenly spark an interest in even the most 'blokey bloke' who would normally dismiss this sort of thing as 'gay', 'geeky' or 'noncey'. You know the sort I mean. Like I say keep us up to speed on how it is coming along. Look forward to updates.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

My main problem will be decals, but I think there are some from the Angel Interceptor decals from JBOT that I might use. We shall see.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
shadopilot
Communications Officer

These decals will work. They are the same size as a Dinky Interceptor. http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Bandai-UF...QQcmdZViewItem
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They could get a little expensive, that's the only trouble, but thanks for the heads up. I wonder if the seller would consider making some to order with a fixed price. He may sell at least 3 sets.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have undercoated the internals, having just finished adjusting the seat by cutting the base of the seat out and gluing on a new one lower down. The pilot sits now about 3mm lower and looks better for it.

I just love the way close up photography shows all the little imperfections.... NOT. The trouble with this material, which is vinyl I think, is that its impossible to sand and one has to be very careful how much one cuts away.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Things are cleaned up a bit more in the cockpit so I shall proceed to painting when its all dry.... I love days off.

These two pictures show the pilot behind glass. She could sit lower still, but as was suggested wouldn't fit well with the missile launcher mechanism.

Part of me would love to use the bare metal as the finish for the engines, but its not quite the right colour. It is amazing to compare how quickly Dinky's bare cast metal discolours compared with Corgi's. I don't know which is therefore the better quality, but whereas you can polish one and lacquer it (corgi) you haven't a hope with the other.

BTW, the silver lines on the canopy aren't actually crooked, I tried to put a black edge on them as on the PE ship and I'm not going to keep it. Stay tuned on that one. The silver lines are good otherwise.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I love seeing these all stripped down. It makes me feel far more creative than I really am when I do these. Like I am starting from the ground up or something (Which of course I'm not!) So far it is looking good mate. The silver canopy lines are decent and the black doesn't look bad although if you are not happy that is the sign of a job not being right I guess. I've kept the engine bells stripped back metal on a few occassions too and although not bad in retrospect I should redo them as it is a bit too dull. A nice silver or alluminium spray would be better but not the mental gold Dinky used. Keep us up on progress.