Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Default Discovery

Tonight's efforts. I've moved the photos to Dragon's Domain where they should be. Having gone to the trouble of making the pod platform I intend doing two or three more with the pod. I've had the pod many years (probably 1/12 scale), but no idea of the manufacturer. It came from Tony in a plain cardboard box!!

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 15-02-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Re-editing Photos
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Jeezy peeps!
They are all great photos.
I really love the 2nd and 3rd ones though.
It really looks huge and heavy in them especially.

Edit: pictures 5 & 6 now new ones have been added.
They are all still brilliant, though

Last edited by Doomsday; 14-02-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
moonbus
Weapons Technician

Default WOW

These pictures look great and an amazing job with the Discovery.
moonbus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Is it me or what. I can see the stands and various lines and things in the photos. The first has a box around the ship?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Well, those pictures say it all. That is a great ,great model and those shots just prove it > I hope those kits are made available soon! Well done.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Tony42

Thanks very much for noticing. You must have your screen quite bright. I have had to put the brightness up to 100% to see the stuff you mentioned.

They are the remains of the background which haven't been entirely erased.

I will correct them and repost them.

Again, thanks for pointing that out!

Keith
Old 14-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I hadn't thought it was bright, but its a 22" flat screen.... may be it is... perhaps that's why I'm going blind
Old 14-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Is the pod about 3" high and solid resin with white metal arms? I've got one like that here! My partner's ex bought it as a paperweight, then binned it when he broke the arms off. Rescued by m'lady, and repaired by me on more than one occasion!
Yep, that's the one. I hollowed out the window a bit so that I could put a sheet of clear plastic in.

Quote:
perhaps that's why I'm going blind
No, but I am obviously!!!

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 14-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 14-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default Discovery photos

Oh wow!! I can't believe that I made something that turned out like this with these incredible pics! These are my dream photos.

Makes all those long hours stuggling to create this kit all worthwhile. Now my work is complete. I think I'm going to cry.
evapodman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

.... with a little help from the builder/photographer.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's it, now they look amazing Keith, just amazing.
Old 14-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
David
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Keith,

Great photos! Couldn't have been easy lighting and photographing that model but you wouldn't know from your photos. I like photos 5, 6 and 7 most of all.
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Thanks very much guys.

Quote:
I made something that turned out like this with these incredible pics
And thanks to yourself and George for producing the kit in the first place!

Final ones, I think. The first one took over two hours!!

Keith
Old 15-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
Adama
Weapons Technician

Holy crap! For a minute there I thought you'd just grabbed frames from the Blu-ray - You know what really sells it? - The depth-of-field - What camera/lens/exposure did you use?
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
w8cmp
Science Officer

Beautiful - absolutely beautiful...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Thanks very much indeed folks. Glad you liked it. I am glad I went to the trouble of replacing the bulbous engine section though. It is a far cry from the scratchbuilt effort I made in 1970 based around a table tennis ball !

Quote:
What camera/lens/exposure did you use?
Camera is a 6.5 mega pixel Canon 300D. Most were taken with the standard 18-55mm lens and depending on where about in the zoom range I was, the aperture varied between f32 and f36. Digital cameras have far greater aperture settings than standard 35mm film cameras (my old Minolta X700 only went as far as f22) (and each f number has a bigger depth of field), so it would not have been possible to image the model in one shot with a film camera.

Next project? Something simple !

Keith
Old 15-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Stunning! Simply Stunning!
A fabulous model, and excellent photography I love the shot with the Discovery in the background and the Pod coming towards you with lights blazing! SO close to the film...superb.
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post

Camera is a 6.5 mega pixel Canon 300D. Most were taken with the standard 18-55mm lens and depending on where about in the zoom range I was, the aperture varied between f32 and f36. Digital cameras have far greater aperture settings than standard 35mm film cameras (my old Minolta X700 only went as far as f22) (and each f number has a bigger depth of field), so it would not have been possible to image the model in one shot with a film camera.
Aologies but it's a subject I'm into. Not to contradict Keith but a film camera would have exactly the same depth of field as a digital camera with the same lens fitted (and the same aperture range too). The aperture range is something the lens is built with. Some of the Canon film lenses will fit their digital cameras. It's only the method of image capture that differs. The actual image created behind the lens would be identical. Digital cameras mostly have sensors smaller in area than a frame of 35mm film. A digital camera would typically give a more telephoto looking picture than a film camera with the same lens fitted in place because the digital would only record the central part of the created image. A 35mm film frame would record more of the outer part of the created image that would otherwise fall outside the area of the sensor in the digital camera. Using the same lens, a 6" x 4" print from a digital camera would look like a 6" x 4" print from a film camera but with an inch chopped off all the edges of the film print which was then subsequently enlarged to fill a 6" x 4" area again. Given the same aperture and shutter speed, both images would otherwise be identical in depth of field and exposure. The digital print would just look like an enlarged section of the film print.

To counteract this apparent focal lenthening on digital camera with smaller sensors, lenses intended for digital are made covering a more wideangle zoom range so that areas of the image that previously fell outside the sensor are now included. The shorter the focal length (i.e. the wider the lens) the greater the depth of acceptable focus (it's bit long winded to go into why this is) for a given aperture setting. Digital compacts can quite often have a lens of 8mm focal length (ultra-ultra wide in 35mm terms) because their sensor is so small but the benefit of such a small focal length lens is that a compact camera in macro mode can often shoot with everything from two inches to infinity in focus in the same shot even if the minimum aperture available to it is only f.22. I've got a macro lens for my 35mm camera which has a minimum aperture of f.64 and it'll give f.64 on a digital camera too. That was all a long winded way of saying that the laws of optics are universal for digital or film. The range of acceptable depth of field or rather acceptable standards of image sharpness available is a result of focal length. The aperture controls only give you control over how much of that DOF range you want to use.

Keith's statement should say:

"Camera is a 6.5 mega pixel Canon 300D. Most were taken with the standard 18-55mm lens and depending on where about in the zoom range I was, the aperture varied between f32 and f36. My Digital camera has a wider lens meaning I'm using the lens at a wider setting for the same composition I would for my film camera and it has a greater range of aperture settings than my old Minolta X700 as it's lens only went as far as f22. For maximum depth of field you want the smallest aperture possible so my digital camera and it's lens had the advantage over my old film camera and lens."
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
skiffy
Communications Officer

Hi Keith, stunning work, as always.

I just couldn't leave that pod bay empty...

skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
Hi Keith, stunning work, as always.

I just couldn't leave that pod bay empty...

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote