Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Default Front Projection

Can any of you technical bods actually see any evidence of Front Projection being used in Fireball XL5? It was described in detail by Television Mail... yet, not a single member of the crew remembers it, and I can't see the system as being anything other than totally impractical.

Any thoughts?
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The process was developed in the late forties/early fifties but to my knowledge was never used on any Anderson series. It was always rear projection. They may have experimented with it as an option for XL5 but there was nothing that couldn't be achieved by their existing rear projection set up. The best known early use of it I can think of is 2001 but that had a slightly bigger budget. UFO used blue screen. Again from memory, the earliest example I can think of Derek Meddings using FP to any degree was "The Land That Time Forgot".
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very interested in this. So is front projection where you project the person or craft etc, onto a model or constucted scene?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Communications Officer

Default God bless the InterWeb!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_projection_effect
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Thanks I think that makes sense
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Communications Officer

Cool, can you explain it to me then?
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
The process was developed in the late forties/early fifties but to my knowledge was never used on any Anderson series. It was always rear projection. They may have experimented with it as an option for XL5 but there was nothing that couldn't be achieved by their existing rear projection set up. The best known early use of it I can think of is 2001 but that had a slightly bigger budget. UFO used blue screen. Again from memory, the earliest example I can think of Derek Meddings using FP to any degree was "The Land That Time Forgot".
Well, as I say, it's described in an edition of Television Mail in one of the big Fireball XL5 articles. Lots of people talk about them using it, because it appears in that article, without actually questioning the evidence of their own eyes...
Old 18-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Maybe it was being touted to sell the series by suggesting the series would use the most up to date methods.

You can get a brighter and more contrasty image from front projection which means it's more suitable for larger scale set ups (live action for example where the projector would be further away) but otherwise there is little difference in the technology.
Old 27-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
This article may be of interest -

http://www.digitalgreenscreen.com/smptetess.html

I always wondered why the Anderson shows never used front projection. I guess that the results from a front projection shot weren't worth the time and expense of setting up a front projection rig. It would have been interesting to see, though.
Spacecraft Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

They already had a rear projection set up which fulfilled all they wanted to do so as you suggest, it may not have been worth the effort.

Old 27-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

It would never have been worth it, or practical - especially on Fireball. Ipswich Road is absolutely tiny - there would have been no room for a set-up like that.

Anyway, I just asked for I put in the final addition to my book - a section on why APF didn't use front projection (beyond some possible test shots) despite what people keep claiming...