Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Project 21
Travel Tube Technician

Default Where are they now ?

Back in the mid 80's before moving out to the sticks I was quite an active Fanderson member, even acted as Dolores Mendez's 'Minder' at the big UFO Con in Red Lion Square.

Over the past couple of decades i've often wondered what became of many of the people that I would meet up with once a month in Leyton/Leytonstone East London.

Three or Four of the guy's ( Steve and Kev B, Naeem M and Chris ) i've managed to keep in touch with over the years and still see but most of the others i've lost track of.

So if Ann B, Lorraine M, Ian B, Steve K, Keith J, Fiona A, or Brenda T (later H) are out there anywhere don't be shy come up and say hello I'd love to hear from you again and talk about old times.

Berore I go I would like to name check one other member of the old gang; Barbara Heywood, sadly Bab's is no longer with us but she like the others still lives in my memory

-Kermitt
Project 21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Almost all of the names you mention I beleive I recognise too from all those years back at those group meetings. Almost all of them, if we are thinking of the same people, are now no longer active in 'Fandom' or 'Fanderson' as it is now. That is not to say they do not still attend the occasional con or comic-mart or whatever but as 'fandom' as it was once known has changed dramatically in the last 25 years it may not be quite their cup of tea now. Who knows! Certainly 3 or 4 of them are still Fanderson members so perhaps that is the way to contact them. I have seen them at cons as recently as two or three years back. Most of 'East London' crowd are still in that neck of the woods as I understand it too. Good luck mate.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Project 21
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks for the response Jim, I wonder if you were part of that old crowd that I used to hang out with ?

I just mentioned those whos names I could still remember but there were many others, I to am no longer active in Fandom due in part to my new location out in the wilds and of course the internet has taken over a lot these days but I did manage to get to the last ever Cult TV con back in October 2007.

As I recall Ian and Lorraine were something of an 'item' I wonder if they remained together ?

-Kermitt

Last edited by Project 21; 01-03-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

My attendance of local group meetings was sporadic to say the least. However my visits to Westminster Comic marts and as you mention the London cons of the early to mid 1980s was regular. I do believe that many of the people you mention did end up as 'couples. Keith J, if it is the one I know, is married too and out in Surrey but still an attender of cons and has a complete set of TV21 and COUNTDOWN so it may be you are still in touch with him. Great memories of a time before all this internet stuff and high profile books and DVD releases. A rubbishy old off air UFO tape from Australia and a French speaking SECRET SERVICE tape , in black and white, kept me happy in those days!!!! Great to see how things have changed of course but I too have some special memories of those early days.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Project 21
Travel Tube Technician

Hey I remember that french Secret Service episode and still have it to this day - somewhere !!!

We were a naughty bunch back then and apart from videos of stuff going the rounds on TV there was also lots of bootlegs being swopped around such as old Twizzle, Four Feather Falls, Supercar ( from Aus) Space Patrol ( poor old Larry ) The Investgator and my personal favorite " Nosey Parker is GO !" as you say happy and maybe more innocent times.

For a time I shared a flat in Leyton with Brenda T but it never led to anything so I moved down to Essex and became Kermit TF while she ended up in Bedforeshire became Mrs Brenda H and finished up with a kid who I suspect may now be old enough to own their very own UB40 card

For anyone who cares I was the weirdo who used to turn up at the meetings in a big black 1955 Ford Consul.

-Kermitt

Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

NOSEY PARKER IS GO! ended up on an old Fanderson video of the second UFORIA con. Jeff Smart was an English kid who went to Oz as a young lad but came back for cons and stuff. He filmed the UFORIA event and also made a short behind the scenes location thing around Slough and also allowed Fanderson to use his short film too. Very well done for the time period too. I think he did come back to England permanently for a while too as he had some sort of documentary project going about ten years back which has never seemed to have been released. A shame as I understand from a few on line resources and magazine pieces that he filmed some nice stuff. He was quite a big name in the old Australian Anderson scene back in the early 1980s involved in their cons and Anderson related events I believe.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Shame Jeff Smart was not so hot at getting his later video projects finished. I waited for over 5 years after he announced his "The future was fantastic" at a Cult TV event before I gave up on it as never actually coming out!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I think the NOSEY PARKER thing was a very high-end 5 minute 'fan' thing done when he was a younger guy with some pals who were in the business but had no other commitments. From what I understand as Jeff grew older he actually had some responsible roles for a number of TV/Film effects companies and so I guess a sort of 'labour of love' project like the documentary took second place to his professional and maybe personal committments. Like you say though a shame as I am sure it would have been worth a look.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Project 21
Travel Tube Technician

I know that using Fanderson contacts Jeff got Charles 'Bud' Tingwell to do some voice work on NPIG ! and there was some talk about him getting hold of David Graham to redo the voice of Parker.

Did this ever come about or is my copy of this video the first and last version ?

-Kermitt
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I may be wrong but I think the original version is the one which still 'stands' as it were. It would have been cool to hear David do it. Obviously with Jeff being over here again, perhaps still, he could well have done something with David.