Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default From Command vehicle to Investigator car

Thought I'd start this thread though it will take a little time to work through the transformation. Opening this vehicle up reveals that Dinky had every intention of releasing this as the Investigator car, the parts having Inv and Investigator cast into them. The wind up motor that produces the sparks still works, but like most lighters of the period its missing a flint. I will see if my spare zipo flints fit. If not I'll leave it.

What is interesting is that this vehicle has the seat and windscreen assembly riveted into place, which is rare for later Dinkies. A little gentle drilling will be rid of it. I may replace it with a screw so that everything can be held in place without glue.

At present I intend to leave the windscreen off so I shall need to fill the space it leaves. This spacer will be painted red. I don't want to use filler here as I may change my mind at a later point. Indecision... I don't know.

Some photos

The first three show how the molds were all ready for the Investigator

And the rivet holding things in place

This photo also gives an indication of how rushed the paint job was in the factory. Nothing has been sprayed under the fenders and as the next photo shows, this can be seen from the side

Finally, I'm wondering if this driver is going to be big enough. Can't wait to get rid of the green colour I must say.

Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Very cool! Looks like you have your work cut out for you. If it wasn't released as the invastigator car what may I ask WAS it released as? Not well versed when it comes to Dinky.
James
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

It was released as the Dinky 602 Armoured Command Car. I vaguely remember it as being GA designed etc. They did the boat as well and turned it into a Coast guard thingy. They really jumped the gun when you think about it, but GA was obviously very serious about getting the series going. Even the merchandising was in place.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Looking forward to seeing this project develop Tony. For those who don't know here are a couple of images from Dinky Catalogues of the period. The boat was released with no Anderson connection mentioned at all but the car was sold as being designed by Gerry. (Reg Hill actually but never mind!!)
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Time for a quick up date. Very glad this vehicle has come along ... something simple to do while patiently drawing lines on eagle engines. Starting from the back so that I can learn how to weather space vehicles before I get to the CM... which is what people look at first when you don't have aluminium bells.

I digress. This vehicle is very easy to sort out. So tonight I have removed the two lugs on the bonnet that are meant to hold plastic rope on the command vehicle, and have re-scribed the bonnet front to cover over where the front lug was. I have also filled in the rear two of four holes in the boot area. Only two are needed to hold the spare wheels. There was a crack in the plastic base so I've filled that in, and everything has been undercoated where necessary.

Tomorrow I will put lines all over the eagle's pod and get out the classic red to give everything a first spray. I shall post some pictures of the Car when the undercoat is dry.

Ed I have discovered that the figure I was going to use in the car is still too small... 1:48 seems about right so as I don't have a figure I'll pretend the kids have parked the car in the stables and are in the church stopping the art thief.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Bother can't add them to the last post. Anyway... The first picture in undercoat, and the second showing the man who is way too small.

They sit in a sea of Ford Diamond white, so it will be nice to paint something red.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

As I did on mine an Imai SHADO Mobile driver works great if you have a spare figure or if someone can cast you one up. However this guy isn't so bad if that is what you need to go for. Interested to see any progress shots as this really can look a nice little 'Dinky' when done up.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Tony....whilst I must confess to not liking the design/shape of this vehicle, I can't fail to be impressed at the clean/up work you've done From those photos you'd never know that any lugs and holes are missing!
Triffic! Look forward to more pics
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Jim I think he's just too small, but we'll see. At Jim's suggestion earlier in my evening (its now 2am so I'd better get to bed) I decided to cut the silly radar dish down a little and make the two spot light thingies for the roof. The first two took ages to make and the set I'm going with took about 5 mins... I looked at the picture I was going to up load and realised they were wrong, so made some new ones. These need tidying up but are a better size. I think I want a decent radar dish but I still want the wind up mech to work, so I shall run with this for a bit.

Too big

Better

Old 07-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

You are a brave man cutting down that radar scanner thingy! However you did a very clean looking job which allows the lamps and the friction turn thing as well so top marks mate! Very, very keen to see the outcome on this one. You are looking to be on the way to a very decent and novel Dinky custom. Can't wait. Given the skills many have with computers it would be a great to see some mock artwork for a box too. Perhaps using the original box art or the one in the catalogue I posted but coloured red with THE INVESTIGATOR logo.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its red and silver, but I could kick myself. It shouldn't have the headlights The machine guns or whatever they're supposed to be shouldn't be there in the square looking things at the front... they're supposed to be the headlights and the bulbous things below on the front should have been cut off.

On a happier note Han Solo has come to the rescue being just the right size with just the right hair, so a little repainting and some adjusting of the seat (cutting it out) means that he fits perfectly. I'm going to find an old seaside photo and fill in the tv screen, its just crying out to be jazzed up. I may well cut those headlights off and repaint the front. I shall have a Scotch and think about it.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Nice Scotch. They're gone and I'm glad, it would have bugged me sooooo much. Now back to the paint stripper and undercoat and red.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Well, I did it, and am glad that I did. Except for the speck dust that has been dug out of the jolly thing. Had enough for today Tomorrow I shall fill the hole in with bog and give it another coat of red, then that's it. Silver and white for the back bit and then to paint up Han 70s style.

The Triumph and the tragedy. Still we are winning.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Good stuff Tony. You look to have done really well shaving or sanding or hacking those protruding headlamps! How did you do it? Looking forward to seeing this vehicle come together.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yeah its fixed and all red with no holes in it etc. Jim I have a wonderful modelling tool called the good old Leatherman Wave. Worth the $180 AU and tons more. It has a brilliant file that rips straight through this diecast metal. The manoeuvre was fairly simple. Cut the lamps off with a some wire cutters and filed the remaining bits. I then sanded the areas with coarse paper then fine paper then there you have it.

The worst part was cleaning off the red paint and undercoat. Yuck.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The tv screen looking at the ocean in ep 1, and Hann... Scott... whatever his name is. Plenty of Scotch in this photo... sorry.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
skiffy
Communications Officer

Excellent stuff Tony42, Han looks right at home!

I can vouch for Leatherman tools - I have the titanium charge, and the file tool is brilliant.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ok. The fourth coat has brought success. It is all now top coated and is drying. Once this is complete I can partially assemble the vehicle and await the arrival of the spare tyres. I have inserted and painted (yes you can make them out) plastic pieces where the crappy Dinky aerial and machine gun were so that I can drill holes and insert thin wire aerials re the actual car.

Getting closer. Must say in hindsight that it was a good idea removing the front headlights as I have managed to get a better red (more orange, called Blaze red) I have also inserted pieces of metal... those little party metal cut out thingies which have a mirror finish... into the headlight sockets and they have the same sort of look as the studio model.

The pictures show the final coat, the lights reflecting the flash back at you, and a T bar shifter that's been added to the interior. This t bar is in fact a spare bat turn handle from a corgi batmobile

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Just for fun.... I wanted to add Han, but the paint is now so nicely built up that I'll have to trim it back to get the "interior" in. Its not really and interior, more like a comfy exterior.

I love the mirror headlights. You can just see one of the party heart shapes I used, at the bottom of the the second picture. Though I believe it was the teddy bear shapes that were needed to get the right size. These things usually appear on tables at a wedding reception or birthday party. Always thought they were useless until now
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Can't edit so its "an interior" not "and interior" BTW