Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Default TV 21 Reprints

I apologise if this is old news, but makes interesting news with along with reprint of Eagle comic et-al.

" ...in the 21st Century' with this collection of stories from TV Century 21 and its sister comic Lady Penelope. These lavish books feature artwork by such greats as Frank Bellamy, Ron Embleton, Don Harley and Mike Noble. Each story has been meticulously restored, with most pages reproduced from original artwork unseen for over 40 years.

On 31 March 2009 we will be publishing Volumes One and Two of Century 21: Classic Comic Strips from the Worlds of Gerry Anderson. Now you can relive the excitement of 'Adventure"

http://www.rhbooks.com/index.htm

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 07-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

This has been discussed on a number of threads but a link to the site of the publishers with an official date of release is certainly welcome so thanks for that. Can't wait for these!!

BUT I JUST SAW..........

The books use images scanned from the ORIGINAL ARTWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell!! That is amazing in itself. What a coup!!!!!!!!!!!! These will really be something special!!

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 07-03-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yes I believe that they are using actual artwork as opposed to just scanning decent copies of TV21. Not sure how much they had access to but heard that they had found quite a bit.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Even the small scans shown on the website are amazingly clean, bright and vivid! It looks as though we're going to see these classics in a way that they've never been seen before!
Thanks for the link
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Yes I believe that they are using actual artwork as opposed to just scanning decent copies of TV21. Not sure how much they had access to but heard that they had found quite a bit.
Express Newspapers recently reclaimed a large collection of original artwork that had been stored/preserved for many years by Dave Nightingale at Thunderbooks. This is now in the Express Newspapers vault - good to see it seeing the light of day again !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks for the link to the publishers web site, I was wondering where the hard backs were going to be made available from, i've placed my order for both volumes.
Interesting comment about Express newspapers "reclaiming" the artwork. Do we know the reason behind this and what they are going to do with it as for decades comic art has been treated as nothing more than toilet paper by UK publishers and a lot of it was simply destroyed to save storage costs.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
a lot of it was simply destroyed to save storage costs.
I think this may have happened to the TV21 artwork in the 80s if Dave Nightingale hadn't stepped in to offer it a home. Not exactly sure why Express have reclaimed it - they must have felt it had some value. Let's hope they make more of it available for republication !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #8
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
- they must have felt it had some value.
Too right it has! -----------let's hope Dave has been compensated for his foresight in saving it!
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I have been doing a little bit of detective work these last few days and found that as recently as a few years back staff at the London storage facility, where much of this art is now likely stored, were instructed to systematically destroy it. Many boards of original art were literally thrown in a skip. Thankfully quite a bit was retrieved and found it's way into the collectors market and even eBay. I bought some myself from a dealer in East London and it all sort of falls into place when I recall his explanation of where it came from. At the time I thought it nonsense but some of the stuff that has come to light recently does confirm this is probably the case. What a tragedy. I hope that they are rethinking this procedure, or maybe already have, as clearly alot of it still survives and is safe.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 10-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
yarvelling
Computer Technician

I think it's awful, the way that 'suits/bean-counters' treat the very means of their success.... this is ART; someone has poured hours and hours into lovingly creating it, only for some talentless tw@t to come along, use it, then destroy it Really makes me mad! And the same thing happens all-over - the BBC are a classic example of that with the lost Dr who episodes.... they'd kill to get them back now, but once, they were just excess rubbish....
Shame it takes 30-40 years for somebody to realise that they might have made a mistake....

Old 10-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
I think this may have happened to the TV21 artwork in the 80s if Dave Nightingale hadn't stepped in to offer it a home. Not exactly sure why Express have reclaimed it - they must have felt it had some value. Let's hope they make more of it available for republication !
Yes: Dave is one of the unsung heroes in terms of keeping the Anderson flame alive during the eighties. His SiG, Action-21 and Century-21 publications filled the void with nostalgia and enthusiasm back then.
I was lucky enough to see the collection of TV21 artboards, shortly after they arrived at Dave's Thunderbooks store in Blackpool. (1989 I think). The boards filled a back storage room to excess and had indeed been rescued from becoming landfill. I think Dave had initially contacted Express Newspapers to see if the artboards could be used as source material for his Action-21 reprints and was bowled over that they'd be happy for him to just take the lot! I think he rented a van to accomplish the transfer from London.
Unfortunately, when the art was sorted, it was discovered that many of the boards were missing. Most of the exciting panel artwork of stories featuring the Thunderbirds vehicles by Frank Bellamy were notably absent. The other problem with scanning the oversize artwork was that many of the artists simply left space on the panels for speech balloons to be pasted on by the letterers at Fleet Street. Over the years, the rubber cement or wax had disintegrated and lots of the balloons had fallen off and been lost.
In light of all this, Dave eventually settled for scanning and retouching good copies of the comic instead for publication in Action-21.
If memory serves, the actual paint or ink quality of the artboards was quite good for vintage 1960's materials. The surface hadn't noticeably yellowed much and the colours were quite bright. It was a blast to see some of the stray pencil work showing through Bellamy's art and the few odd cut marks on Mike Noble's boards, where he'd pressed a little too hard while cutting masks for airbrushing.
So, while the publishers have probably used as much original artwork as possible, I have to assume that they've had to resort to filling the gaps with actual TV21 comics as well.
Cheers all.
GW
TerraForm1 is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
I think it's awful, the way that 'suits/bean-counters' treat the very means of their success.... this is ART; someone has poured hours and hours into lovingly creating it, only for some talentless tw@t to come along, use it, then destroy it Really makes me mad! And the same thing happens all-over - the BBC are a classic example of that with the lost Dr who episodes.... they'd kill to get them back now, but once, they were just excess rubbish....
Shame it takes 30-40 years for somebody to realise that they might have made a mistake....
Do you actually understand why the BBC destroyed so much or do you just think they 'made a mistake'?
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
Do you actually understand why the BBC destroyed so much or do you just think they 'made a mistake'?
A little 'agressive'....?
I understand what I've heard/read/seen on TV; Do you know some more? I'd be interested to know.
Steve.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
A little 'agressive'....?
I understand what I've heard/read/seen on TV; Do you know some more? I'd be interested to know.
Steve.
Well, I find it mildly annoying to keep seeing people take potshots at the BBC without seeming to take any effort to understand the historical context in which the episodes were junked. Aside from the enormous costs of videotape, the unions held the TV industry in a vice-like grip and Equity (the actor's unions) made it so expensive to repeat a programme that it cost as much to make an entirely new show. So in the days before home video, and with limited repeat options available to them, why was it shortsighted or a mistake to off-load something that was ephemera? TV was seen much more like theatre then - you can't preserve a play, why should TV be any different?

The unions were extremely powerful in the 50s, 60s and 70s. So the BBC didn't make a mistake - they merely acted within the parameters of the industry at the time.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Thank you for that...I wasn't aware of the strangle-hold that the unions had in those days, or that repeat costs were so high.
Steve.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Thank you for that...I wasn't aware of the strangle-hold that the unions had in those days, or that repeat costs were so high.
Steve.
When the Zebrugge disastaer happened, an editor famously made something like 90,000 in three weeks because of the way union overtime was calculated. If you were in the electrician's union, you would get your overtime calculated forwards and backwards for very long hours.

When ITV went into colour in 1969 the cameraman got a pay rise. The sound men objected, as they too were working in colour (even though it didn't affect their job) and so they refused to work with colour video equipment. So shows previously in colour would suddenly go to black and white. The most famous surviving example of this is Upstairs Downstairs where five of the first series of 13 are in monochrome.

Curiously, the unions took a while to get their teeth into APF, but once they did there was no getting rid of them. For some reason, this is an aspect of production usually overlooked - something I've rectified in my forthcoming book... where you can read about why the unions weren't always so keen on enforcing their rules at the puppet studios
Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Incredible! I can somehow imagine the difficulties involved in trying to ensure that puppets got equal tea-breaks, and overtime rates...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

The APF crew were quite anti-union - they showed incredible dedication to getting the job done, no matter the overtime.

This was a point made well by Alan Perry in the Supercar documentary, unfortunately 'Russell Weller' in FAB magazine decided to twist the anecdote in order to make the APF crew look like slovenly, lazy vandals. Something that a number of the original crew were not happy about when they read it...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Can you confirm in what issue of FAB it appeared.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

More to the point, the BBC recorded over the video tape of all the BBC studio Apollo coverage, with only one or two exceptions. There were hours of it as I remember watching just about every minute of it.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote