Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Default WETA vs. Sixteen12 - absolutely no contest.

At the risk of digging up a hated old chestnut:

I bought the WETA "Dalek" statue at the weekend and must say I'm completely blown away by the quality of it. It rather got me thinking - if WETA can produce such an item and market it for 200, then why are Sixteen12 or whatever they call themselves this week struggling to produce vastly inferior goods for twice the price? The issue sizes are roughly the same and both are produced in China. WETA would have had to design/sculpt theirs from scratch, Sixteen12 simply pinched someone else's work.

Am I missing something?
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

No, I don't think you are missing anything.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
fredlight
Computer Technician

Well, I think there's a deeper problem at 1216...they seem to have nearly no control at all over their product.
I just recieved one of their new 12 inche Eagle Transporter, and by some micmac, I sent them a picture of it beside my others...the Heavy Weathering is too strong and wrong,

and they did not even knew it.
I think right now some chinese ears are hurting now, but well...
fredlight is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Helder Crespo
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlight View Post
Well, I think there's a deeper problem at 1216...they seem to have nearly no control at all over their product.
I just recieved one of their new 12 inche Eagle Transporter, and by some micmac, I sent them a picture of it beside my others...the Heavy Weathering is too strong and wrong,
and they did not even knew it.
I think right now some chinese ears are hurting now, but well...
Mine is just like that too. It really sucks...
Helder Crespo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Communications Officer

Quote:
OMG! Is that how you received it?? What on earth is going on there? There's no mention of any revised weathering on the Pod as far as I was aware, just the walkways. In fact somebody else has already posted pictures of the new Eagles and they didn't sport the harsh Aztec panelling.

To quote the Sixteen 12 Website "The Eagles feature 'cleaner' inner cages to give the model a more even overall effect" I think they need a new Chinese interpreter.

Last edited by 29390; 27-03-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
fredlight
Computer Technician

Yep, this is what I received. The pattern is the same as on the VIP, but 10000 times stronger..and with color around the door too....has I never had a TRansporter before, I did not know what to think of it until 1216 ask me if it was me who made the color change..wich I did not...

Even the pod's feet are not properlly placed (they should be 90 from the pod axis, and they are not..al have a slight shift).
Old 27-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They did mention revised weathering. Now that's just silly, it was the walkway colour that was wrong not the bloody pod weathering. For goodness sake. I now feel very sorry for the owner of this company, nothing's going right at all. "Buy up the old ones and just keep painting the walkways" looks to be the best option.

That's incredible.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
fredlight
Computer Technician

For those who don't know yet, and to put a final nail in the coffin, regarding my order, someone made a bigger mistake at 1216. Aside from sending the EAgle...they sent me a Seaview too (9x times the price)...which I never ordered of course (and the never charged me for)...how is it going to cost them to get it back?...
Old 27-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Communications Officer

Keep it. It's very disheartening to see that despite the name change, it's business as usual. God help the 44" project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
They did mention revised weathering.
Perhaps 'weathering' and 'camouflage' mean the same thing in Chinese.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

When I looked at the picture above the idea of camo came straight to mind

Old 27-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
HUNCH
Communications Officer

The pics of the weathering on the mobiles looks good on the net. Wonder what they look like in person? Guess I'll hold out till I see one on here just to be safe.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Communications Officer

Check out this thread. I would still wait in case there's been a factory change.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=8024
Old 27-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
For those who don't know yet, and to put a final nail in the coffin, regarding my order, someone made a bigger mistake at 1216. Aside from sending the EAgle...they sent me a Seaview too (9x times the price)...which I never ordered of course (and the never charged me for)...how is it going to cost them to get it back?...
Legally, it's classed as a gift.

A similar thing happened to me some years ago.
A book company sent me an offer for computer books. I ignored the offer, didn't fill out the form - simply threw it in the bin.
A few weeks later several books arrived.
Then they asked me to pay for them, saying they had sent them by mistake.
My wife (who has studied contract law at degree level, letters after her name and all that) told me that no contract had been entered into, and if something is addressed to you and arrives at your door without your ordering it, it's classed as a gift.
It's up to you how you treat the situation - either send the item back and ask whomever sent you the merchandise to pay the postage - or you can keep it.
At the end of the day the error is theirs, not yours.
In this instance I would expect a goodwill gesture from them for causing an inconvienience for you, if you have to repackage the item and take it to the post office for return.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The pod panels shots are most revealing... didn't notice the Aztec thing, but do now. The early stuff is so much better. Just changing the walkways and getting the red stripes right would have been more than enough.

At least if you get an eagle there's still only minimal repair work to do and the model itself is sound.
Old 27-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNCH View Post
The pics of the weathering on the mobiles looks good on the net. Wonder what they look like in person? Guess I'll hold out till I see one on here just to be safe.

I think I've seen a couple of these - and they seem to have a rather strange streak of 'weathering' along the top of the roof which looks a bit odd. can anyone else confirm this ?
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
I'd go as far as to say "sod all" quality control. It seems their subbies aren't checking anything at the factory and Sixteen12 themselves aren't even checking which model they're sending out judging by other replies in this thread.

Big difference with the Weta model is a little QC tag firmly attached to the model itself and a second one on the shipping packaging which at least hints that someone else is double checking at some point.

The box also tells you who made the model on behalf of Weta - Fred Tang & Associates implying that Weta have enough faith in THEIR subbies to name them.

How on earth Steve Walker keeps trading at all is beyond me, let alone in the current climate, but when he does finally succumb someone really ought to tap Weta on the shoulder.

Half the price and 100 times the quality? I'm up for some of that - talk about missed opportunities!
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
I think I've seen a couple of these - and they seem to have a rather strange streak of 'weathering' along the top of the roof which looks a bit odd. can anyone else confirm this ?

The photos on the other thread seem to agree with your suggestion. Crazy, completely crazy.
Old 28-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #18
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Legally, it's classed as a gift.

A similar thing happened to me some years ago.
A book company sent me an offer for computer books. I ignored the offer, didn't fill out the form - simply threw it in the bin.
A few weeks later several books arrived.
Then they asked me to pay for them, saying they had sent them by mistake.
My wife (who has studied contract law at degree level, letters after her name and all that) told me that no contract had been entered into, and if something is addressed to you and arrives at your door without your ordering it, it's classed as a gift.
It's up to you how you treat the situation - either send the item back and ask whomever sent you the merchandise to pay the postage - or you can keep it.
At the end of the day the error is theirs, not yours.
In this instance I would expect a goodwill gesture from them for causing an inconvienience for you, if you have to repackage the item and take it to the post office for return.
As I understand it, the company is entitled to contact you and ask for the goods back - however, it is they who must arrange and bear all expenses for its return. In effect, all you need do (if they contact you) is say, "sure, come and get it". That is the extent of your legal obligation under Distance Selling Regs.

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Eagle
Commander Ret.

And yes, SixteenTwelve are proving a major disaster zone. Isn't it ironic that they're selling International Rescue goods.

Can you imagine buying their 44" Eagle and getting that kinda quality. I'd go mental!

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
fredlight
Computer Technician

There's never been any doubt about this in my mind : they send by mistake, they find and pay the solution.

But since I send the pictures, no more words....seems phone lines have been overheating between England and China...I'm sorry for 1216, but for sure in this kind of business, better double check everything before it gets to the customers hands...but I have to admit, working myself with chinese people, they are not easy to deal with..sure, they want to work, and work hard...but the definitions of quality and service are not the same here and there....they showed the world they can work and are a force to deal with, but now, they have to learn to make business with respect to the customers(?), and their workforce...humans are animals, but just like with every animals on Earth, you have to respect them...even though sometimes, I share Ursus philosophy : "a good human, is a dead human!"