SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #21
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Had this been an episode of TNG, that is what would have happened. After some boring technobabble, the creature would apologize and promise to be a good little monster and not eat any more innocent space travellers who happened along (don't get me wrong, TNG was a good show, but it could get very preachy at times).

The Alphans did not have the time or resources to take a chance like that. It was kill or be killed.
Agree on all points.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #22
tim
Geological Technician

I wonder if the mysterious force that was guiding the Moon arranged all this, so the Alphans could get rid of the monster before it killed any more victims (except the unfortunate Celleni, of course).
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
Cosmicdiadrone
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Did I ever mention my (admittedly grasping at straws) idea that the creature could be a descendent of the Pirians? Look at the Guardian, all organically lumpy and with tendrils holding those ball-thingys about itself, with a glowing opening at the base and a huge, single brightly glowing eye, plus the hypnotising and teleporting abilities. Maybe the Guardian was a reflection of the Pirians' true appearance; the Servant, after all was created by the Guardian to lure the Alphans to Piri, and thus is not a representation of the Pirians themselves.

So the dragon creature in "DD"? Maybe it's a long lost descendent of the Pirians, say from a probe or something lost in space. The survivors slowly devolved, forgetting their once technological & sentient history during their struggle to simply survive. Perhaps they were cannibalistic, perhaps not, but by the time another starfaring race stumbled across the remaining creature, it (the creature) was little more than a hungry animal, luring its new food supply into its lair and satiating its hunger for a time, hibernating until the next hapless meal wandered along.

In an unrelated note, I know I've mentioned before that it might be cool if one of the derelict ships in the graveyard had markings written in Sanskrit.
Wow! this is really a great idea! This ressemblance never occured to me... But after rewatching Guardian of Piri yesterday, i dont understand how i could miss it. Shapewise and behaviourwise, the guardian is like an highly civilised (and stylised) version of the DD monster. As if the Pirians had wanted to build a perfect version of themselves and payed the price.

This brings new images in my mind because i had always thought the pirians were the white globes with petrified jellyfish tentacles that were swamping the Piri plateau, does anybody know if that's what they were supposed to be. When scanning them, Koenig does say something like : whatever those things were, they're dead now.
And from the image of the planet at the end of the end of the episode, we do know that pirian vegetation was more earthlike.
Cosmicdiadrone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default A Matter (and Monster) of Taste...

Quote:
Do all International Lunar Commissioners have to be such pricks? I refer to Commissioner Dixon, who appears in this episode. Clearly he and Simmonds are cut from the same mold.

When Koenig was telling him about the mysteries of space that man has yet to solve, I found myself saying: "Save your breath, John, this guy is not hearing you." Dixon didn't care that lives were lost, he was only interesting in salvaging his reputation...
Slice of life, sad to say...always first to hog the credit and first to shunt away the blame...*sigh*

Ah, but would the monster have had him? Don't. Think. So.

Last edited by boatshewsd2; 25-08-2013 at 12:05 AM.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #25
tim
Geological Technician

Oh to see that monster get a hold of Dixon!

At least Simmonds got his just desserts.

Old 25-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Arc for Arc's sake.....

Whether they knew it or not, Messrs Penfold, Byrne et al created some kind of story arc into which it's possible to read many things. I'm positive nobody sat them all down at the start, as happens these days, and told them "here's where we want the Alphans to be by Episode 24". I still marvel at the fact "Space 1999" ever got made at all all. Read the interviews and the impression is given that the cast and crew lived from hand to mouth in terms of scripts. It mirrors the Alphans' situation, never knowing what was going to confront them next.

Maybe I read too much into things but, for Season 1 at least, there was definitely a guiding force overseeing the show itself.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Get A Room!

Quote:
Oh to see that monster get a hold of Dixon!

At least Simmonds got his just desserts.
Nah, too good for him - better a double-occupancy with Simmonds. I can just picture that certain sly little smile on Zantor's face...

(Besides, no amount of burp-the-baby would EVER have worked...)

ADD: To Patrick - well, even Victor acknowledged that there's a certain underlying order to things; that said, I'll still concur - Year One took things to a whole 'nother level!

Last edited by boatshewsd2; 25-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

What I would like to know is, if Koenig killed the creature, why did they all fly away and leave all that stuff behind??? They could at least have salvaged cellini's eagle and the Ultra probe ship he docked with... I thought that they were short of resources....
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Robertson View Post
What I would like to know is, if Koenig killed the creature, why did they all fly away and leave all that stuff behind??? They could at least have salvaged cellini's eagle and the Ultra probe ship he docked with... I thought that they were short of resources....
That's most likely because of what Helena says: "Since our instruments said the creature was never alive, how could we be sure that it was dead?" Plus the moon was moving out of range [how convenient to the writers!] so they couldn't salvage any of the ships or technology.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
tim
Geological Technician

They knew nothing about the creature, who's to say it wouldn't regenerate or something like that.

Guess they felt it was better safe than sorry.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default No story arcs in Gerry Anderson shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
Whether they knew it or not, Messrs Penfold, Byrne et al created some kind of story arc into which it's possible to read many things. I'm positive nobody sat them all down at the start, as happens these days, and told them "here's where we want the Alphans to be by Episode 24". I still marvel at the fact "Space 1999" ever got made at all all. Read the interviews and the impression is given that the cast and crew lived from hand to mouth in terms of scripts. It mirrors the Alphans' situation, never knowing what was going to confront them next.

Maybe I read too much into things but, for Season 1 at least, there was definitely a guiding force overseeing the show itself.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
I never got the impression there was a larger story to S1999 or in any of GAs other shows. The shows are all surface..
There was a hint in UFO however..
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #32
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

I always saw the resemblance of The Guardian to The Dragon! As to whatever The Pirians actually were I have no idea! I used to think they could have been those white globes but really what were they? Surely The Pirians were humanoid like the woman? Or like she said there are many forms of life!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #33
twilightman
Alphan

I was watching that,the alphans should of salvage some of the left behind ships..
twilightman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #34
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightman View Post
I was watching that,the alphans should of salvage some of the left behind ships..
Agree, but unfortunately the moon was moving away so salvage was not possible.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #35
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I always wondered why they never recovered the Ultraprobe. However as others have noted the Alphans didn't know if that creature was really dead as it never registered on their instruments. They also couldn't salvage any other spaceship either as they might be infested with other creatures. All that wonderful advanced alien tech and it was a right-off.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 01-02-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 AM   #36
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

They did not salvage any ship, including the Ultra Probe, because unfortunately the moon was moving away so salvage was not possible.

In the second to the last scene of the episode Helena states in voice-over:

"...As we hurried back to Alpha, before our Moon drifted beyond reach..."

Albeit, if they had the time I still think they would have not salvaged because of the creature might have had others lurking in those ships too.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #37
BalorReturns!
Chef

I agree. Dragon's Domain was one of the best episodes of season one. I also loved episodes Force of Life and the rather hypnotic coral sitar music featured at the beginning of The Troubled Spirit, another season one story. The sitar music was performed by the late "Big" Jim Sullivan.
BalorReturns! is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #38
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalorReturns! View Post
I agree. Dragon's Domain was one of the best episodes of season one. I also loved episodes Force of Life and the rather hypnotic coral sitar music featured at the beginning of The Troubled Spirit, another season one story. The sitar music was performed by the late "Big" Jim Sullivan.
Agree. Dragon's Domain was one of the best episodes of season one.
Old 23-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #39
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Ah, Dragon's Domain! One of the best hours of television anywhere ever! That monster was so unique and scary to us youngsters back in 1975 and even nowadays it can make you shiver! The creature was like a spider in it's web waiting for the inquisitive space travellers to dock onto any of the ships in it's psychic embrace and then devour them one by one! No explanation was ever given as to where it had come from? Could it have come from Ultra? We'll never know and it's best left that way really as it keeps us thinking of this wonderful experience!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #40
mark1964
Alphan

One of my favourite episodes. Excuse a bit of name-dropping, but back in the late 90's, I knew the late Michael Sheard for a few years. He liked doing that episode a lot although I got the impression that he didn't get on well with Gerry Anderson.
mark1964 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote