Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Default Thunderbirds-Yellow Fire Tender (aka MSP Transporter)

Hello All,

Where should I start? I'm thinking of building a small scale model of the yellow fire tender (seen in City of Fire, Cry Wolf and Day of Disaster as the MSP Transporter) to fit into my Soundtech Thunderbird 2 (Yes, I know it's as bad as the IR Green Banana, but what are you gonna do?). It doesn't have to have every detail, but I'm thinking of making it as realistic as possible, like the Konami Pod Vehicles (shame they don't have the Fire Tender though) but just that eensy bit smaller. I need some help then. If I can't make it to small scale, then I'll make a small LEGO one to fit in the pod and I'll make a larger one, maybe studio scale, for display.

I know Mike is going to be making one, but I want to beat him to it (if I can).
Any tips?

George

PS. I'm only 12 so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't go talking in absolute gibberish. Thanks.
Captain Hanson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

gibberish would be fun but I wont bother. I oted that there was a large section of the fire engines thread devoted to the MSP with lots of detail identifying the kit parts and wheels etc and what it looks like made of wood. You may have already seen it as you have commented on that thread already. Other than that I can't really help, if i had more time i'd lend more to try and help you out but i'm tied up with exams.
Whcich is annoying, cus Fireflash is sitting almost finished (only need the line decals...how annoying are those!) and i was planning a Thunderbirds Day of Disaster floating crane build to play with in the bath
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
...if i had more time i'd lend more to try and help you out but i'm tied up with exams.
I'm about to start my exams too in about 2 months but I'm not revising just yet...

But I've made a start on the Fire engine after finding (top result) these wheels:

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmq1800.html

unlike the wheels Mike has got, these ones don't have treads and are as close as you can get. Mike, if you're reading this, I think these wheels were the ones used on the MSP transporter and fire engine.

I think I will make a studio scale one after finding these wheels.

The only problem is, is whether or not my Dad (yes, my Dad) will let me buy the parts...
Old 14-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Nice find! Best tag that link onto the end of the fire engines thread mate. Good luck with your exams. (I'm starting my last A-levels now...fun)
Old 14-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hanson View Post
I know Mike is going to be making one, but I want to beat him to it (if I can).
Any tips?
go for it, you will beat me as Im working on other things at the moment, it aint a race, I researched everything openly so that other people can benefit and make there own replicas too so Im glad if it helps. and untill I find some of the other key parts, my projects stopped.

although I dont think youll beat captanapollo, he's well on the way with his and works very fast and professionally.

the wheels are the easy part, the expense and time is from the kit bits, the aurora b-58 and revell atlas, which are mega rare and can run up to 100 each.

also remember that itll be pretty big, studio scale,

captanapollos msp is gonna be a big beast with the trailer and rocket on

cheers

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
captanapollos msp is gonna be a big beast with the trailer and rocket on

cheers

Mike
Really!? I'm looking forward to seeing some piccies (how I love) of the work in progress...

George
Old 14-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
Good luck with your exams. (I'm starting my last A-levels now...fun)
I'm really looking forward to that

and it's only a year before I have to do a scholarship (DT, obviously... Heck, I might as well get started on the fire engine and then show it to my next school, Cheltenham College when I finish-GUARANTEED PLACE!!).

Mike, can you do some screengrabs for me please? I'll post some up as well, and try and note down the parts...
Old 14-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Here's a screengrab of the fire tender with labelled parts:

Old 14-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

I think I may have posted this in one of the other threads, but the unknown parts on either side of the ladder look like garden hose attachments.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
I think I may have posted this in one of the other threads, but the unknown parts on either side of the ladder look like garden hose attachments.
They probably are...

The one thing which is still bugging me is HOW DO I MAKE THE FLIPPING BASE FOR IT!!!

I could ask my DT teacher very nicely to help me with the base and then I could carry on from there...

Old 14-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

He may help if he's a fan. I reckon the meshes are easy enough to fix up, trip down to your local homebase or whatever should do. Yes those do appear to be wheels on the front, though i have no idea where from. Painting it will be fun also, as it is a wooden construction! I remember (not to fondly) trying to paint a little wooden truck in a DT lesson...fail of course, acrylics are not suitable.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hanson View Post
But I've made a start on the Fire engine after finding (top result) these wheels:

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmq1800.html

unlike the wheels Mike has got, these ones don't have treads and are as close as you can get. Mike, if you're reading this, I think these wheels were the ones used on the MSP transporter and fire engine.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain they're not. The treadless foam rubber wheels are a relatively new invention designed for the recent generation of lightweight electric aircraft. They have an obvious foam texture to them too.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

The silver wheels on the front of the yellow fire engine look like the same ones that have been seen all over the place in GA productions. I believe there were a pack of them in a window on a street set in one show, and the sprues from them were seen stuck various places on recorders and such on TB5's consoles and the mobile control rig carried in TB1.

I think the central detail may be several pieces, the two 'wings' looking like they are chrome exhausts from a hot-rod kit of some sort - sorry I can't specify the car but the sort that come out the side of the car just behind the front wheels. The central part may therefore be an engine part from the same kit.

Hope that helps.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Actually weaponsmith...you may have something there... the top of the badge looks suspiciously like an F1 car nose...complete with aerofoil...
Old 15-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #15
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

I'm still unable to find the wheels and badge on the front of the fire engine...

Have any of you guys found out what they are?

George

Old 15-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

George, quick reality check... how big is the pod for the soundtech TB2? I am worried that it won't fit!
Old 15-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Captain Hanson, I am sure that the 'badge' is made of several components. The two exhaust systems, one on each side, a chrome sump or possibly gearbox part in the middle, plus a part under that at the top, or two - one on each side. Looks to me like the rear view mirror from the inside of the donor car kit, which given the exhaust configuration would seem to be an American muscle car of some kind. Could well be that the wheels shown come from the same kit or one of the separately available accessory sets available at the time.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

I agree with Weaponsmith. If This episode came before the MSP episode...why is there card over the section that reads 'MSP' later in the series? I'm trying to work out what ths lights are in the pits on the front. The remind me of something but i can't figure out what.
Old 15-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

The rocket transporter scenes in Day of Disaster would have been filmed first, the vehicle would then have been salvaged and converted to the fire truck used in filming additional sequences for City of Fire (originally a 25 minute episode), and then featured as a background vehicle in The TB2 hanger sequence from Cry Wolf.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
... and then featured as a background vehicle in The TB2 hanger sequence from Cry Wolf.
You didn't proof read the Shubrook book by any chance AT?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote