Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
eaglewingone
Communications Officer
 
eaglewingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,206
Default 'Five Million Years to Earth'

I love this movie because this is classic Sci-Fi at its best. Everytime they play this movie on television I am there.An alien spaceship is discovered buried beneath a London subway station and a monster is unleashed.The only problem is this movie is very difficult to find. This movie I give a thumbs up

Here is the trailer for the movie:


Last edited by eaglewingone; 13-05-2009 at 04:28 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Dunc1
Geological Technician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 113
Default Quatermass And The Pit

I agree. An excellent sci fi thriller, known as Quatermass And The Pit in the U.K. There was The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass 2 and the above to make a trilogy. First made for Television in the 50s and early 60s and Hammer made remeakes for the cinema. They were written by Nigel Kneale, one of the most incredible script writers television has ever known. Not all of the first TV Quatermass story was recorded. The TV versions and the cinema remakes are I believe available and well worth investigating.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
eaglewingone
Communications Officer
 
eaglewingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
I agree. An excellent sci fi thriller, known as Quatermass And The Pit in the U.K. There was The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass 2 and the above to make a trilogy. First made for Television in the 50s and early 60s and Hammer made remeakes for the cinema. They were written by Nigel Kneale, one of the most incredible script writers television has ever known. Not all of the first TV Quatermass story was recorded. The TV versions and the cinema remakes are I believe available and well worth investigating.
Thanks I will check them out. I remember as a kid and absolutely floored how excellent this movie is. Its on the top ten list of science fiction movies.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Brian's Brain
Alphan
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default

My parents took me to the American release when I was a kid, and I loved it! So many images and sounds seared permanently on my brain from this. Have always wanted to see the original serial, I suppose it may be available on Region 1 by now.

So thankful that the proposed US remake has apparently fallen through. The Donners might have turned out something good, but it really should remain a British tale, along with all the other Quartermass stories. Although I would've been tempted to see it set in New York's Hell's Kitchen!
Brian's Brain is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
shonokin
Life Support Technician
 
shonokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 83
Default

I don't know if the original serials are on R1 or not, but they are well worth tracking down. I absolutely loved the serials, though there's I believe just 2 or 3 chapters to the first one in existence. Lots of great extras on the R2s.

Kneale's later miniseries BEASTS is quite interesting too. All the stories have something to them that really stuck with me. Very brooding and disturbing horror stuff rather than scifi.
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
eaglewingone
Communications Officer
 
eaglewingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's Brain View Post
My parents took me to the American release when I was a kid, and I loved it! So many images and sounds seared permanently on my brain from this. Have always wanted to see the original serial, I suppose it may be available on Region 1 by now.

So thankful that the proposed US remake has apparently fallen through. The Donners might have turned out something good, but it really should remain a British tale, along with all the other Quartermass stories. Although I would've been tempted to see it set in New York's Hell's Kitchen!
That is a good idea to have set in Hells Kitchen.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Quatermass and the Pit....is one of the best of the three movies, however in saying that the first two are excellent as well with the first having a fair dose of Hp Lovecraft about it, not in terms of following the Mythos, but in its feel and creature. The second is more like a Doctor who story but is better.

There is a fourth story made only as a TV mini series in the 80's with Sir John Mills as Bernard Quatermass. Its to do with aliens harvesting Earths youth, if I say anything more I would ruin it. Worth tracking down on DVD (not sure about availability in America, get a multi region player).

The writer of Quatermass Nigel Kneale,also wrote a fantastic one off TV movie called The Stone Tapes...this is terrifying, and has a very strong Lovecraft vibe through it. A great story and good acting can carry a story, without relying on the special effects, unlike most modern stuff this is not what this TV movie is about....its all about the highly intelligent story.

Also worthy of note is The Sex Olympics which shows how visionary Nigel was ,as he predicts a society obsessed with Reality TV shows....gather a group together stick them on an Island with a killer, and watch there every move.

Alas the one story I would love to see again is now lost, I can't remember the title but its to do with a part of a forest which is haunted. The people who live near there (story is set in the past) hear screaming, crowds running and the sound of cars etc and then a horribly loud explosion. Because they live before these things exist they don't know what the sounds are. In reality its the sound of a Nuclear attack in the distant future. Scary stuff when I saw it on TV many years ago. I think it was a Play for Today.

The American trailer and title for this movie Five Million years to Earth really does not do justice to the content of Quatermass and the Pit. Bernard Quatermass was a kind of prototype for Doctor Who (though he is human) and every other science based show that has followed ever since IMHO, particularly Doom Watch.

Regards E D D L

Last edited by EMPEROR DALEK D L; 16-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer
 
DX-SFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,094
Default

QATP scores highly in my book simply on the grounds that it is intelligent and credible science fiction rather than the dumbed down razzle dazzle scifi seems to be today.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
skiffy
Communications Officer
 
skiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fraggle Rock
Posts: 964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
QATP scores highly in my book simply on the grounds that it is intelligent and credible science fiction rather than the dumbed down razzle dazzle scifi seems to be today.
Indeed. I read the story as a kid in a penguin book with B+W plates from the film in the middle. I was about 12 years old and it really scared me. I saw the film years later and still got a chill.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
eaglewingone
Communications Officer
 
eaglewingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post
Quatermass and the Pit....is one of the best of the three movies, however in saying that the first two are excellent as well with the first having a fair dose of Hp Lovecraft about it, not in terms of following the Mythos, but in its feel and creature. The second is more like a Doctor who story but is better.

There is a fourth story made only as a TV mini series in the 80's with Sir John Mills as Bernard Quatermass. Its to do with aliens harvesting Earths youth, if I say anything more I would ruin it. Worth tracking down on DVD (not sure about availability in America, get a multi region player).

The writer of Quatermass Nigel Kneale,also wrote a fantastic one off TV movie called The Stone Tapes...this is terrifying, and has a very strong Lovecraft vibe through it. A great story and good acting can carry a story, without relying on the special effects, unlike most modern stuff this is not what this TV movie is about....its all about the highly intelligent story.

Also worthy of note is The Sex Olympics which shows how visionary Nigel was ,as he predicts a society obsessed with Reality TV shows....gather a group together stick them on an Island with a killer, and watch there every move.

Alas the one story I would love to see again is now lost, I can't remember the title but its to do with a part of a forest which is haunted. The people who live near there (story is set in the past) hear screaming, crowds running and the sound of cars etc and then a horribly loud explosion. Because they live before these things exist they don't know what the sounds are. In reality its the sound of a Nuclear attack in the distant future. Scary stuff when I saw it on TV many years ago. I think it was a Play for Today.

The American trailer and title for this movie Five Million years to Earth really does not do justice to the content of Quatermass and the Pit. Bernard Quatermass was a kind of prototype for Doctor Who (though he is human) and every other science based show that has followed ever since IMHO, particularly Doom Watch.

Regards E D D L
I agree
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
shonokin
Life Support Technician
 
shonokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post
Alas the one story I would love to see again is now lost, I can't remember the title but its to do with a part of a forest which is haunted. The people who live near there (story is set in the past) hear screaming, crowds running and the sound of cars etc and then a horribly loud explosion. Because they live before these things exist they don't know what the sounds are. In reality its the sound of a Nuclear attack in the distant future. Scary stuff when I saw it on TV many years ago. I think it was a Play for Today.
That was called "The Road" broadcast in 1963 and I've looked high and low for this for years and have never seen evidence of it still existing.
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
That was called "The Road" broadcast in 1963 and I've looked high and low for this for years and have never seen evidence of it still existing.
Hi shonokin

Thats the name....I remember it now. The BBC must have repeated it in the 70's because 1963 was before I was born. I saw it as a teenager. I thought that the BBC had wised up by then and stopped wiping their video tapes. I am pretty sure it was the BBC but it might have been ITV I can't remember but it made an impression on me anyway.

The only way you might get a copy is if some one made a private video recording of it...(not unheard of, especially if it was repeated in the 70's) If you do I would love to see it again. As far as I know its lost and missing officially. The Stone Tape is out on DVD, not sure about The Sex Olympics. All the Quatermass stuff is out on DVD and Beasts as mentioned earlier.


Regards E D D L

Last edited by EMPEROR DALEK D L; 16-05-2009 at 09:38 PM.
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
shonokin
Life Support Technician
 
shonokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 83
Default

The Stone Tape is a very interesting mash-up of Lovecraft and M. R. James with a touch of Kneale's own earlier mental/astral/memory projection ideas. Loved it!

Yeah I think "The Road" was a part of an anthology series, but I can't remember off hand. I do remember trying desperately to find some trace of it, but no luck. If you saw it in the '70s there's hope that a tape exists out there somewhere that will eventually show up.

A one shot movie that Kneale wrote, Murrain, which wound up as an extra on the BEASTS DVD is really something. I think that one show has stuck with me more than anything else I've ever seen. There's no major impact within the story, just a slow burn and building of tension that leads to a pretty creepy climax. I guess that's why it's included on the BEASTS set as most of those stories work the same way.

Sorry for straying off topic. Back to Quatermass: Personally though I like the Hammer produced Quatermass movies, I do strongly suggest to any who haven't seen them yet to find the original serials. It shows how even in a scifi setting, strong writing can (and should) win over a glaze of special effects and explosions!
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Stu73
Communications Officer
 
Stu73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,381
Default

Long live the Boffin.

Dont bother with ITV's 'Quatermass' serial. It's depressing, it has space hippies and the Prof nukes himself at the end.

Why did Nigel Kneale do it? It's like the question Bowie always get's aked: "Why did you kill Ziggy"

No as far as I am concerned, the Prof isnt dead and lives on in an alternate time line.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
The Stone Tape is a very interesting mash-up of Lovecraft and M. R. James with a touch of Kneale's own earlier mental/astral/memory projection ideas. Loved it!

Yeah I think "The Road" was a part of an anthology series, but I can't remember off hand. I do remember trying desperately to find some trace of it, but no luck. If you saw it in the '70s there's hope that a tape exists out there somewhere that will eventually show up.

A one shot movie that Kneale wrote, Murrain, which wound up as an extra on the BEASTS DVD is really something. I think that one show has stuck with me more than anything else I've ever seen. There's no major impact within the story, just a slow burn and building of tension that leads to a pretty creepy climax. I guess that's why it's included on the BEASTS set as most of those stories work the same way.

Sorry for straying off topic. Back to Quatermass: Personally though I like the Hammer produced Quatermass movies, I do strongly suggest to any who haven't seen them yet to find the original serials. It shows how even in a scifi setting, strong writing can (and should) win over a glaze of special effects and explosions!
Yes it was in the 70's had to be, as I was not born when it was originally shown. I agree with you the B/W BBC shows are very good. I have the DVD and enjoyed them. I must get Beasts. I wasn't sure about it, so didn't buy it.


Regards E D D L
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Project 21
Travel Tube Technician
 
Project 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Essex
Posts: 58
Default

Dont bother with ITV's 'Quatermass' serial. It's depressing, it has space hippies and the Prof nukes himself at the end.

[/quote]



Just a *slight* spoiler there for anyone yet to see this production me thinks


-Colonel K
Project 21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
tastic1
Geological Technician
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Timbucktoo
Posts: 106
Default BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
QATP scores highly in my book simply on the grounds that it is intelligent and credible science fiction rather than the dumbed down razzle dazzle scifi seems to be today.
Plus the not bad effects (for the time and budget) were done by Brian Johnson (Space 1999) at Bowie films
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
science fiction; sci fi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com