Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Space 1999 The Movie

I'm picking up a great deal of chatter and speculation on twitter about an up and coming remake of Space 1999 - any foundation to the rumours?
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I'm picking up a great deal of chatter and speculation on twitter about an up and coming remake of Space 1999 - any foundation to the rumours?
Best person to ask is CalgaryAlphan.Lets say his very interconnected in "Space:1999" fandom.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
Puffy_Shirt
Medical Technician

Why not?
They've remade just about everything else already.
Puffy_Shirt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

There's nothing I've heard of... I suspect it's over-eager imaginations fueled by the new (excellent) Star Trek movie.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
There's nothing I've heard of... I suspect it's over-eager imaginations fueled by the new (excellent) Star Trek movie.
Start writing letters to JJ Abrams or Brannon Braga

Old 15-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy_Shirt View Post
Why not?
They've remade just about everything else already.
It probably will but it will end up in the Sci-Fi Channel. I would like it produced by Brannon Braga or Ronald Moore.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 15-05-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 15-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I hope its a rumour, I want something new and different. Enough of the old remakes.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
alienation
Eagle Pilot

Most of what I'm hearing is speculation fueled by Trek.
alienation is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

I think it's just speculation, given the amount of awesome reboots we've had recently. Of course, I would love a Space:2099 Movie none the less.

Last edited by CaptainOchre; 16-05-2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Typo
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

S99 as much as we love it is not in the same league as ST and Batman, nor even BattleStar G, so I don't really think there'd be a blockbuster movie in the wings as there isn't the huge following needed to recoup the outlay. I don't want one, I want something new. (he says repeating himself )

Old 16-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
hdknight
Hydroponics Technician

Default If Sci-Fi gets a hold of it, I'm afraid it will have cheap CGI

But it would be really cool if someone with talent could bring back "Space 2099" It seems a lot of the British TV productions are to much higher standards than the "monster of the week" Sci-Fi puts out Saturday Nights. BSG being the lone exception. IMHO
hdknight is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
S99 as much as we love it is not in the same league as ST and Batman, nor even BattleStar G, so I don't really think there'd be a blockbuster movie in the wings as there isn't the huge following needed to recoup the outlay. I don't want one, I want something new. (he says repeating himself )
I think that if you have a great writer and script,great cast,producer,great director and a good studio backing you can have a blockbuster hit.It is almost like a "perfect" storm. The new "Batman" series and one other film pops out to mind is Star Trek II:The Wrath Of Khan.The screenplay was written by Jack B. Sowards and Nicholas Meyer. Nicholas Meyer also directed the film. Harve Bennett gave him a wide latitude while filming.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 16-05-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 16-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
While I appreciate what you've said, I disagree that S:1999 is not in the same league as BSG.

The original BSG ran for one short season, followed by the brief disaster that was Galactica 1980. In NO way is the original BSG in a league above S:1999. It may be considered so now - following the revived series - but based on it's 1970s presence, and the scope of its fan following over the years, BSG ranks - if anything - well below S:1999.

While we may not all want S:1999 to return in a re-imagined form (and how I wish the powers that be would come up with some new, original, outer-space sci-fi series!!!), the fact that BSG returned with such a cult following (and a damned small one, considering the ratings - but rabid enough to generate press coverage and an aura of success) and the new Star Trek has been re-imagined in such a largely popular and deservedly successful way gives hope that it is possible.

I think Space: 1999 could come back - but I would only want it to happen with the right creative team behind-the-scenes. It's a tragedy that Johnny Byrne isn't with us anymore, as he was one of the only minds that I would trust with the essence of the journey of the Alphans (Christopher Penfold is another!). Johnny had some wonderful ideas for the continuation of the series, re-vamping it and moving it forward.

But, we can all be surprised. The new Star Trek film has blown many of us away with the quality of its cast, characters, script, sets, fx, etc... So, who's to say that one day the same thing (or, more realistically, a television revival akin to BSG's -- but better!) couldn't happen with Space: 1999?

If Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet can be resurrected, then it's possible that Space: 1999 can be, too.

We Alphans are eternal optimists, aren't we? After all, that's what keeps us searching for a new habitable planet...
Old 16-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician

If they do a new version or remake then don't give it a date as the title. With UFO and Space 1999, the single thing which ruins their credibility is the dates given. This ages things badly, best to leave dates out of it.

Call it Moon Base Alpha, Voyage of the Alphans or such like. Anyone want to put forward a non date based titles...

Don't shoot me for suggesting this...

Regards E D D L
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Adama
Weapons Technician

BANG!
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

But why not do something New? Surely we could come up with something different. Why was it that only the 60s and 70s seem to be the only eras when anyone could think of new and fresh ideas? A number of original movie spawned great/ good franchises that have lasted us till recent years. But nothing new has really come to the fore since, and now we're trying to cash in on all the success, by rebooting/ re-imagining (yeah sure)/ rehashing all the old stuff. We're all down at the heels in the real world, so can't we find another galaxy or something to explore or witness new greatness in?

And yes the comment is fair enough, there would be enough following to do an S99 film... Firefly got one. The saddest thing is that there was a great new and interesting series/ film that was killed after one series when it had so much potential. Ok, it was a western, but it had a new spin that made it great. We need more of this sort of creativity.
Old 16-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

if they ever did remake it ld like to see it done in a cool retro 70s style/now feel, like old and new together . . . a cool vintage look. same S:99 title etc

Helena russell could be played by . . . EastEnders star Samantha Janus (Ronnie Mitchell) shes got a helena kinda look . . . mmm now who else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
But why not do something New? Surely we could come up with something different. Why was it that only the 60s and 70s seem to be the only eras when anyone could think of new and fresh ideas? A number of original movie spawned great/ good franchises that have lasted us till recent years. But nothing new has really come to the fore since, and now we're trying to cash in on all the success, by rebooting/ re-imagining (yeah sure)/ rehashing all the old stuff. We're all down at the heels in the real world, so can't we find another galaxy or something to explore or witness new greatness in?
I absolutely agree! Where is the imagination and creativity to imagine something new? And it is too bad that Firefly didn't last longer. (And there was Farscape!)
Old 16-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Big Boris
Astrophysics Technician

Default Fair Dinkum...................................

Get Real ladies........................

The only good thing going for 1999 was the hardware.

It was only believeable to the extent, that with a little 21st century ingenuity, you could actually get a moderately high-tech forklift operational, and performing functional duties in a specific scenario- garbage duty on a rubbish dump. ( The Eagle)

The story lines were not feasable, or practical, and typically camp of the 1970's.
Season 2 was absolute rubbish.

If investors would be looking to get some sort of return on their money, a JJ Abrams spin on the 'Thunderbirds' would make squillions-!
What about more CGI Cptn Scarlett- Season was brilliant !!!!

I just loved the 'Angels' day off with thier Interceptors.
What about a spin on 'Luffewaffe 46'- now there's a contenscious issue !!

Big Boris is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
While I appreciate what you've said, I disagree that S:1999 is not in the same league as BSG.

The original BSG ran for one short season, followed by the brief disaster that was Galactica 1980. In NO way is the original BSG in a league above S:1999. It may be considered so now - following the revived series - but based on it's 1970s presence, and the scope of its fan following over the years, BSG ranks - if anything - well below S:1999.

While we may not all want S:1999 to return in a re-imagined form (and how I wish the powers that be would come up with some new, original, outer-space sci-fi series!!!), the fact that BSG returned with such a cult following (and a damned small one, considering the ratings - but rabid enough to generate press coverage and an aura of success) and the new Star Trek has been re-imagined in such a largely popular and deservedly successful way gives hope that it is possible.

I think Space: 1999 could come back - but I would only want it to happen with the right creative team behind-the-scenes. It's a tragedy that Johnny Byrne isn't with us anymore, as he was one of the only minds that I would trust with the essence of the journey of the Alphans (Christopher Penfold is another!). Johnny had some wonderful ideas for the continuation of the series, re-vamping it and moving it forward.

But, we can all be surprised. The new Star Trek film has blown many of us away with the quality of its cast, characters, script, sets, fx, etc... So, who's to say that one day the same thing (or, more realistically, a television revival akin to BSG's -- but better!) couldn't happen with Space: 1999?

If Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet can be resurrected, then it's possible that Space: 1999 can be, too.

We Alphans are eternal optimists, aren't we? After all, that's what keeps us searching for a new habitable planet...
I agree