Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Default A Clockwork Orange

Stanley Kubrick dissects the nature of violence in this darkly ironic, near future satire, adapted from Anthony Burgess's novel, complete with "Nadsat" slang. Classical music,loving punk Alex (Malcolm McDowell) and his "Droogs" spend their nights getting high at the Korova Milkbar before embarking on "a little of the old ultraviolence."The title is taken from an old Cockney expression, "as queer as a clockwork orange", and alludes to the prevention of the main character's exercise of his free will through the use of a classical conditioning technique.The first time I saw this film ,I was just awestruck. The acting was absolutely stellar(Malcolm McDowell), the directing and the message of the film was stellar.I thought one of the amusing scenes was the high speed sex scene in Alex's bedroom. The movie was banned in Great Britain for some 27 years.

The Droogs at the Korova Milk Bar

A Clockwork Orange Movie Trailer

Last edited by eaglewingone; 18-05-2009 at 05:01 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
The movie was banned in Great Britain for some 27 years.
Actually, the movie wasn't banned in the traditional sense but it was withdrawn by Kubrick (yes, he had that much power) following a number of copycat sprees of violence by various groups of youths. It was only following his death that it came to be rescreened.

A bit of trivia: When they go into the record shop, the soundtrack LP for 2001 is displayed prominently.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A very good, interesting movie. Watched it for the first time only a few years ago.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Actually, the movie wasn't banned in the traditional sense but it was withdrawn by Kubrick (yes, he had that much power) following a number of copycat sprees of violence by various groups of youths. It was only following his death that it came to be rescreened.
I did not know that. I know they did stop showing the film because of the copycat murders.
Old 18-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
A very good, interesting movie. Watched it for the first time only a few years ago.
Kubrick is a genius.

Old 18-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Also a great film to see David Prowse not in full costume...
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
Also a great film to see David Prowse not in full costume...
You are right. I had to go back through the movie and see him. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 19-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
Stanley Kubrick dissects the nature of violence in this darkly ironic, near future satire, adapted from Anthony Burgess's novel, complete with "Nadsat" slang.

The movie was banned in Great Britain for some 27 years.
Yes, I saw it more as Burgess's dissection of whether it's better for a man to be left to be bad through choice or to have 'goodness' (ie conformity) forced on him by the state.

I've never understood why the American publishers left out the last chapter of the book, and it's this version that Kubrick used, altering the original message a tad. He was undoubtedly a talented film maker but I'd love to know why he didn't have the backbone to defend his film when all the trouble kicked off in the media in the early 70s. He left it to Burgess to go on TV and radio to defend the film - a film which deviated quite a bit from the book, so Burgess wasn't obliged to defend Kubrick's adaptation. There was no violence when the book came out in the early 60s, no yobs dressed as the characters are in the book. More a case of 'monkey see, monkey do' rather than 'monkey read, monkey do'. In his autobiography, Burgess said he went to see the film in the States and was shocked that people were cheering the violence. He was also told he was 'too old' for that kind of film.

I'd think a lot more of Kubrick if he'd stepped up to the mark and put people right about the film. His interpretation of the book had everyone but Alex as a broad caricature and incorporated the somewhat voyeuristic attitude towards women. There are undoubtedly some great images in the film but the apeing of the violence by yobs suggests he didn't get his message across well enough. Genius or not I'd say he was also a wuss for not speaking out in defence of his work. (I'd always recommend the book, too.)
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedexter View Post
Yes, I saw it more as Burgess's dissection of whether it's better for a man to be left to be bad through choice or to have 'goodness' (ie conformity) forced on him by the state.

I've never understood why the American publishers left out the last chapter of the book, and it's this version that Kubrick used, altering the original message a tad. He was undoubtedly a talented film maker but I'd love to know why he didn't have the backbone to defend his film when all the trouble kicked off in the media in the early 70s.
American censors especially at this time were extremely conservative.Many filmmakers did not want to argue with the censors and its the case today. If the movie was filmed at this time it would probably receive a "R" rating. There are many films such as "Scarface" is much more violent than this film. To get around the ratings board, just enter the film as a "Not Rated" film

Last edited by eaglewingone; 20-05-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Tags
sci fi, science fiction