Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey

This is probably the greatest film that has ever been made.It was nominated for four Academy Awards and received one for special effects.The film deals with elements of human evolution, technology, artificial intelligence, and extraterrestrial life, and is notable for scientific realism, pioneering special effects, surreal imagery, sound in place of traditional narrative techniques, and minimal use of dialogue. In 1991, it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in their National Film Registry.The only filmed sequel, 2010, was based on Clarke's 1982 novel and was released in 1984. Kubrick was not involved in the production of this film, which was directed by Peter Hyams in a straightforward style with more dialogue. Clarke saw it as a fitting adaptation of his novel.Hyams received the blessings of both Clarke and Kubrick to do the sequel.Stanley Kubrick interestingly to know, that he filmed the project in complete secrecy. We have four segments in the film,The Dawn of Mankind,humanity venture into the Solar System,onboard Discovery One(which is the largest segment), and "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite".

Last edited by eaglewingone; 28-05-2009 at 03:28 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Never heard of it. What's it about?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Cool - is it showing in Australia yet?
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
JD
Medical Officer

2001, eh? An historical epic?

Last edited by JD; 30-05-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Must... fix... typo!! ;)
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
2001, eh? A historial epic?
Of couse. It change the way science fiction movies were made.Time magazine provided at least seven different mini-reviews of the film in various issues in 1968, each one slightly more positive than the preceding one; in the final review dated December 27, 1968, the magazine called 2001 "an epic film about the history and future of mankind, brilliantly directed by Stanley Kubrick. The special effects are mindblowing."

Old 29-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That's not what JD meant. We're now in '2009' so he's joining in the joke by asking if '2001' is a historical epic since it's about something that happened eight years ago. I think we're all fully familiar with this movie in all it's aspects both technical and cultural and it's been discussed at length in many threads. I almost hate to point out my avatar. We are all science fiction enthusiasts here afterall. "Space:1999" is visually based on this film. Even the title "Space:1999" reflects 2001's film title. I don't think anyone quite understands the purpose of your initial post since you're not posting anything we don't already know.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 29-05-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
That's not what JD meant. We're now in '2009' so he's joining in the joke by asking if '2001' is a historical epic since it's about something that happened eight years ago. I think we're all fully familiar with this movie in all it's aspects both technical and cultural and it's been discussed at length in many threads. I almost hate to point out my avatar. We are all science fiction enthusiasts here afterall. "Space:1999" is visually based on this film. Even the title "Space:1999" reflects 2001's film title. I don't think anyone quite understands the purpose of your initial post since you're not posting anything we don't already know.
Its called discussion.I never had this discussion as a member especially this movie. I am sure you have had this discussion trillions of times.2001 enthusiasts are rare from where I live.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 29-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I don't think insults are being made here. It was just a wee bit of ribbing. Don't take offence.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Thank you for pointing out. I overlooked it. Your insults are greatly appreciated
No, I'm seriously asking what the motivation was for posting? Yes, we're having a little fun at your expense but only because your post serves no apparent purpose other than to post details about a movie that 98% of us here already know intimately. If there's aspects of it you want to discuss that's fine but just posting a potted history without posing a question doesn't open the discussion.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I don't think insults are being made here. It was just a wee bit of ribbing. Don't take offence.
I am a new member still learning the ropes . As an older member he should be more tempered and understanding.I have gone out of my way to be a gentleman and courteous.

Old 29-05-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
No, I'm seriously asking what the motivation was for posting? Yes, we're having a little fun at your expense but only because your post serves no apparent purpose other than to post details about a movie that 98% of us here already know intimately. If there's aspects of it you want to discuss that's fine but just posting a potted history without posing a question doesn't open the discussion.
I am trying a conversation. Have you ever had a intelligent conversation with someone before on a program or movie? There are probably other new members that never chatted about this movie.I have never chatted to anyone about this movie.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I am a new member still learning the ropes . As an older member he should be more tempered and understanding.I have gone out of my way to be a gentleman and courteous.
It's just British humor. DX is one of the good guys here (not that there's any bad guys, per se! ).

So, what's your take on 2001?
Old 29-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
It's just British humor. DX is one of the good guys here (not that there's any bad guys, per se! ).

So, what's your take on 2001?
He has a poor sense of humor. I do not find it amusing. I love this movie. We used to show this movie in high school when we had access to the VCRs.It was on again on the satellite today. For some reason, it has been on all month.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Ok, let's just move on.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #15
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Ok, let's just move on.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Is there any truth in the rumour that an animator, having been on the receiving end of Kubrick's temper, wrote a rude word on a single frame of the stargate sequence so that it would appear subliminally to the audience?
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

I agree that it's a grand movie plus great use of classical music in the soundtrack.

I'm just so glad that a re-make hasn't been attempted - with modern trendy shaky camera work :
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Yes,it was landmark movie for its time and its influence on the way sci fi was handled and produced for the cinema was immeasurable. Its space craft designs were realistic, beautiful and as scientifically accurate as they could be for the time ,as was the way the entire science in the film portrayed. As a vision of mankind journeying into deep space for the first time it was unique.
It was also seminal genre special effects cinema and when I saw it as an older teenager I was hypnotized by the visuals. Stunning. I have a particular fondness for the Discovery and the Orion craft that survives strongly unto this day because of it.
It can also be considered ,as a film, extremely boring. I went to see it with a girlfriend who fell asleep watching it ( though she didn't with Starwars!) and she just didn't understand it at all, particularly the ending. And ,I have to say ,the majority of people who watch it who are not aware of the source material struggle to make sense of it. It has provoked all sorts of discussion for years after it came out ,and still does so today. The human element is totally over shadowed by the visuals, which was perhaps the point. Against space we are an invisible dot on an invisible dot.
Don't worry about the gentle ribbing. There are a lot of very experienced professional guys here who have worked in the special effects film industry for years. Its called getting your leg pulled over here when things get a little messianic and serious.
I think it was a film of its time. It lifted the standards of effect expectations to a level that led to a certain G. Lucas into forming a small effects company that has made a huge number of films that I like a great deal since.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think it's amazing that it's still a benchmark movie for FX forty years later.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The film is great in so many ways - but as pointed out rather boring which is a crime for any film, especially a Sci-Fi one. As I've just bought myself a big plasma telly it is one of the films earmarked for watching in the next few weeks, but I will be doing it with the dvd controller on my lap and my finger not far from the fast-forward button!
Not surprising the first film to go up on my new telly was Star Wars, closely followed by The Empire Strikes Back and then 'Forbidden Planet' - now that is a film that is amazing when you consider it's age.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, science fiction