Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Default Land Of The Lost DVD's

Available at Amazon now. I preordered mine. LOL! I have no shame at all.
Hey, when I was a kid I couldn't wait till Saturday mornings to watch this! Its like watching Space 1999 or UFO for the first time in 30+ years. Same feeling.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Definitely a Saturday morning favorite of mine, too. I watched a few episodes of a recent television marathon and I have to sheepishly admit, I find some of the storylines still pretty good, but the SFX are really cheesy.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

I have them. They are a great addition for any DVD collection.I am a huge fan of Sid and Marty Krofft.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I have them. They are a great addition for any DVD collection.I am a huge fan of Sid and Marty Krofft.
A Bit of trivia: Bill Laimbeer of the Detroit Pistons played a Sleestack for season one while in high school.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Definitely a Saturday morning favorite of mine, too. I watched a few episodes of a recent television marathon and I have to sheepishly admit, I find some of the storylines still pretty good, but the SFX are really cheesy.
You lucky dog!!

I just watched a bunch of these on Sci-fi channel. Although the effects are out-dated, I still think some of them hold up. What surprised me the most was the stories. I mean, I tuned in to watch with the sole purpose of getting a good laugh at what I used to watch, but after a few episodes, I couldn't stop watching.

This is a lot beter in terms of imagination than most sci-fi today. I mean, this show has alternate realities, time travel, intelligent lizards, ape-people, dinosaurs, ancient ruins, magical crystals....all this from the early 70's!!

This show deserves alot of respect in my opinion.
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

It's being shown on "Sci Fi" here. I loved it as a kid but it's really horrible as an adult (IMHO)
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Loved this show as a kid and catching up with it over the years. Really like the storyline and even the cheesy effects ala Sid and Marty. I have absolutely no interest in the new movie (or Will Ferrell in any matter); I predict it will be far, far worse than Frakes' Thunderturds

I'll wait until the series comes out on BluRay to purchase....
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post
You lucky dog!!

I just watched a bunch of these on Sci-fi channel. Although the effects are out-dated, I still think some of them hold up. What surprised me the most was the stories. I mean, I tuned in to watch with the sole purpose of getting a good laugh at what I used to watch, but after a few episodes, I couldn't stop watching.

This is a lot beter in terms of imagination than most sci-fi today. I mean, this show has alternate realities, time travel, intelligent lizards, ape-people, dinosaurs, ancient ruins, magical crystals....all this from the early 70's!!

This show deserves alot of respect in my opinion.
What is really cool about these DVDs you get commentary from the stars and give us "the behind the scenes" view of the show.A lot of them live right here in California and occasionally do "Land of the Lost" conventions.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 11-06-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
lunadude
Travel Tube Technician

Watch the original show. Do yourselves a favor and miss the movie.
lunadude is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I've had the dvds for a few years now... this complete series box must be a re-release to tie in with the new film.
Although the sfx are horrendous by today's standards, and indeed some of them were bad back when the show was first run, bear in mind that the show was made for Saturday morning cartoon fare, and as such was miles ahead of anything else in its day, including other Sid & Marty Kroft productions. (One exception in my mind is Hanna-Barbera's Valley of the Dinosaurs, a traditionally-animated program that still holds up well today. Of course, a better title would have been Basin of the Prehistoric Animals, but that doesn't quite have the impact of the title they actually used!)

The stories in seasons 1 & 2 of LotL are quite heady for children, and even for some adults. Many professional sf authors/writers worked on the scripts (DC Fontana, Larry Niven, David Gerrold, and even Walter Koenig, to name a few), and the quality of ideas is quite rich for a "kids' show." Season 3 chucked all that out the window and destroyed the series continuity, so I pretty much ignore almost all of it (and didn't buy any of the dvds, either).

I've been showing my kids the LotL dvds, and they like the show for the most part. My older kids have fun ripping on the sfx, yet when I tell them it's time for bed, they beg to watch just one more episode. My younger kids just think the show is cool and sometimes scary. (They're more scared of the Sleestak than of the dinosaurs.)

I've always thought this show would be ripe for a remake using today's sfx, if they kept the stories intact. And I'm not talking about the 1990's version that was more like a reboot than a remake. Alas, the new film, while having cool sfx, might not appeal to fans of the original show. (Perhaps it's good that they made it a comedy, since many people nowdays might not take the original seriously, but then again, making fun of something that many people have never seen kind of misses the point: the joke will be lost on everyone. Besides, look at how cheesey the original Doctor Who was for decades, yet people loved that show for its quality of stories. I don't see comedy spoofs being made of that show... references, yes, but not outright spoofs. Just sayin'.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I've had the dvds for a few years now... this complete series box must be a re-release to tie in with the new film.
Although the sfx are horrendous by today's standards, and indeed some of them were bad back when the show was first run, bear in mind that the show was made for Saturday morning cartoon fare, and as such was miles ahead of anything else in its day, including other Sid & Marty Kroft productions. (One exception in my mind is Hanna-Barbera's Valley of the Dinosaurs, a traditionally-animated program that still holds up well today. Of course, a better title would have been Basin of the Prehistoric Animals, but that doesn't quite have the impact of the title they actually used!)

The stories in seasons 1 & 2 of LotL are quite heady for children, and even for some adults. Many professional sf authors/writers worked on the scripts (DC Fontana, Larry Niven, David Gerrold, and even Walter Koenig, to name a few), and the quality of ideas is quite rich for a "kids' show." Season 3 chucked all that out the window and destroyed the series continuity, so I pretty much ignore almost all of it (and didn't buy any of the dvds, either).

I've been showing my kids the LotL dvds, and they like the show for the most part. My older kids have fun ripping on the sfx, yet when I tell them it's time for bed, they beg to watch just one more episode. My younger kids just think the show is cool and sometimes scary. (They're more scared of the Sleestak than of the dinosaurs.)

I've always thought this show would be ripe for a remake using today's sfx, if they kept the stories intact. And I'm not talking about the 1990's version that was more like a reboot than a remake. Alas, the new film, while having cool sfx, might not appeal to fans of the original show. (Perhaps it's good that they made it a comedy, since many people nowdays might not take the original seriously, but then again, making fun of something that many people have never seen kind of misses the point: the joke will be lost on everyone. Besides, look at how cheesey the original Doctor Who was for decades, yet people loved that show for its quality of stories. I don't see comedy spoofs being made of that show... references, yes, but not outright spoofs. Just sayin'.)
I agree. Though it seems that Sid and Marty Krofft on some of their series were smoking too much ganja.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 12-06-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

It was great of SCIFI to show the marathons. Although I already have the DVDs I still watched the marathon. I must admit that I saw the movie with my wife and it was absolutely terrible.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William0999 View Post
It was great of SCIFI to show the marathons. Although I already have the DVDs I still watched the marathon. I must admit that I saw the movie with my wife and it was absolutely terrible.
I hope that the Sci-Fi channel makes it more of a regular feature because their programming stinks. When they cancelled Space:1999 and Terrahawks they lost me.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 12-06-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I hope that the Sci-Fi channel makes it more of a regular feature because their programming stinks. When they cancelled Space:1999 and Terrahawks they lost me.
I couldn't agree more.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
sci fi, science fiction