Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Default Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets

Space Odyssey: Voyage To The Planets (In America it is called Voyage to the Planets and Beyond) (2004 not 1986)

Has anyone else seen this excellent BBC production? Its part Sci-Fi and part documentary. It about 2 hours in length and is split into two parts.

If you haven't seen it I would strongly recommend checking it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...13/space.shtml

AmazonAmazon UK

AmazonAmazon US

Last edited by Space2099; 13-06-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Space2099 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space2099 View Post
Space Odyssey: Voyage To The Planets

Has anyone else seen this excellent BBC production? Its part Sci-Fi and part documentary. It about 2 hours in length and is split into two parts.

If you haven't seen it I would strongly recommend checking it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...13/space.shtml

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Odysse...4605038&sr=8-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ubMbUHojI
I have the book and the DVD. The production was outstanding and the story line was very good.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 10-06-2009 at 07:33 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

I really enjoyed this when it was shown.
I was perusing the latest issue of SFX in my local WH Smith the other day & it mentioned in the news column that there is going to be a series based on this programme starting in July to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, I think on BBC 3. Although its going to be factually based as per the original ,the article said that they would'nt let that get in the way of telling a good story.
I cant remember what it was going to be called & this was the first I had heard of it considering its nearly due to be broadcast, has anyone else got any more info ?
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Checked up on this when I went to lunch and its called "Defying gravity" and is a 13 part series on BBC 2 not 3 as i thought above, still cant believe how this has been kept quiet until now.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
Checked up on this when I went to lunch and its called "Defying gravity" and is a 13 part series on BBC 2 not 3 as i thought above, still cant believe how this has been kept quiet until now.
I forgot that they were doing a series. Good to see that it is actually being made.

I'm really looking forward to it. Any idea when it will be shown?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
It will probably end up on the History Channel sooner or later.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
I forgot that they were doing a series. Good to see that it is actually being made.

I'm really looking forward to it. Any idea when it will be shown?
Sometime in July according to the magazine to coincide with the Apollo 11 anniversary.
I believe that Torchwood season three is due to be shown towards the end of the month as well so it looks like July is going to be a good month for SF / spaceflight fans as I believe that there are several documentries to be shown as well looking back at this momentous event.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Another similarly themed show is going to be shown in America on June 26, it's called Virtuality and from what I've seen of it, it looks like it was inspired by the movie Sunshine.

It was filmed as a pilot to a series, but it looks like the series will never happen. And that in a nut shell is the difference between America and the rest of the world. Defying gravity would have never gotten off the ground in America.

Fortunately they have decided to air the Virtuality pilot as a movie.

http://io9.com/tag/virtuality/

Though, the fact that I live in Australia will mean that I will have to find an alternate way to view both these shows.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
tastic1
Geological Technician

[quote=Space2099;117115]Another similarly themed show is going to be shown in America on June 26, it's called Virtuality and from what I've seen of it, it looks like it was inspired by the movie Sunshine.

Similarly, I think you'll find the look and feel of Sunshine were inspired by Space Odyssey; Voyage to the Planets tv series...
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
Similarly, I think you'll find the look and feel of Sunshine were inspired by Space Odyssey; Voyage to the Planets tv series...
If you go back far enough, I thing all these long mission realistic space movies and TV shows (that are set in the not too distant future) were inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I see a connection between Virtuality and Sunshine because in Sunshine they have a virtual reality room on the ship so the crew can escape the boredom and stresses of the journey and I see Virtuality as an extension of that idea, though apparently it is also similar to a book (which I can't remember the name of).

I really like hese kinds of shows and movies (hence, the reason why I'm a Space1999 fan) and it's good to see that they are trying to make more of them.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default Sunshite

[quote=Space2099;117158]If you go back far enough, I thing all these long mission realistic space movies and TV shows (that are set in the not too distant future) were inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Thats true.
One other thing, Sunshine is a complete rip off of a (Rather lousy) movie called Solarcrisis starring Charlton Heston where the governments of the earth team up to send a space craft to the dying sun with a solar bomb to try and kickstart it!...
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
Thats true.
One other thing, Sunshine is a complete rip off of a (Rather lousy) movie called Solarcrisis starring Charlton Heston where the governments of the earth team up to send a space craft to the dying sun with a solar bomb to try and kickstart it!...
I have a bit of a soft spot for Solar Crisis. And you are right, the moment I saw Sunshine I thought of Solar Crisis.

I think Solar Crisis was a much more ambitious movie, but Sunshine was definitely the better of the two movies (in my opinion). It would have been good if the director of Sunshine could have somehow made Solar Crisis, I would have loved that movie.

I still have a copy of the Solar Crisis on VHS, which was copied from the Laser Disc. The widescreen version of Solar Crisis was available on Laser Disc, but for whatever reason they only released the fullscreen (4:3) version on DVD.

Last edited by Space2099; 12-06-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Did Sunshine noremind you of Event Horizon at the end with the baddie?
Well that's what I thought when I seen it...
But I am a bit strange.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Did Sunshine noremind you of Event Horizon at the end with the baddie?
Well that's what I thought when I seen it...
But I am a bit strange.
Sunshine definitely did a right turn near the end into the horror genre, which I think was because the director’s previous movie was 28 Days Later and maybe he hadn't quite gotten over that movie.

And I would definitely put Event Horizon (and Alien) in to the same category as the end of Sunshine.
Old 13-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #15
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
If you go back far enough, I thing all these long mission realistic space movies and TV shows (that are set in the not too distant future) were inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I see a connection between Virtuality and Sunshine because in Sunshine they have a virtual reality room on the ship so the crew can escape the boredom and stresses of the journey and I see Virtuality as an extension of that idea, though apparently it is also similar to a book (which I can't remember the name of).

I really like hese kinds of shows and movies (hence, the reason why I'm a Space1999 fan) and it's good to see that they are trying to make more of them.
Sunshine looks pretty interesting. Will check it out on the rental store.

Old 13-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #16
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
Sunshine looks pretty interesting. Will check it out on the rental store.
Well, as good as Sunshine is (and it is good) my highest recommendation would go to 'Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets'. In America it is called 'Voyage to the Planets and Beyond'. I'm not sure where Amazon got their date from (1986)? It was actually released in 2004.

AmazonAmazon US

It shows that you can make a show about more realistic space exploration that is more involving and interesting (and thrilling) than the big Hollywood Productions (Sunshine, Mission To Mars, Armageddon etc.).
Old 13-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

I think this one already aired here. It had some nice moments but they kept landing on places like Io and Venus and having to leave really fast, and crew members kept dying.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #18
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
I think this one already aired here. It had some nice moments but they kept landing on places like Io and Venus and having to leave really fast, and crew members kept dying.
(SPOILER) Well they stayed on Mars for a while and only one crew member died from getting a lethal dose of radiation (END OF SPOILER).

Also the version that was shown on the Discovery channel in the US is different (and a cut down) version than what was shown in the UK and I believe the UK version is the one that is on DVD. The way to tell is the Discovery channel version has an American narrator and the UK (original) version has an English narrator. What I saw of the Americanized version on YouTube I didn't like. So I would suggest skipping the Discovery Channel version and check out the DVD (hopefully the DVD is the UK version).
Old 14-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Well, as good as Sunshine is (and it is good) my highest recommendation would go to 'Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets'. In America it is called 'Voyage to the Planets and Beyond'. I'm not sure where Amazon got their date from (1986)? It was actually released in 2004.

http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Planets...4873553&sr=8-2 US

It shows that you can make a show about more realistic space exploration that is more involving and interesting (and thrilling) than the big Hollywood Productions (Sunshine, Mission To Mars, Armageddon etc.).
I mentioned in a earlier post that I have both the book and the DVD.I enjoyed it very much and highly recommmend it. I would also recommend the Cosmos Television Series narated by Professor Carl Sagan. He also acted as the advisor to NASA, and the movie Threads.I already ordered the movie "Sunshine"

Last edited by eaglewingone; 14-06-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Space2099
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
I mentioned in a earlier post that I have both the book and the DVD.
Silly me.

Quote:
I enjoyed it very much and highly recommmend it. I would also recommend the Cosmos Television Series narated by Professor Carl Sagan. He also acted as the advisor to NASA, and the movie Threads.I already ordered the movie "Sunshine"
I've got Cosmos on DVD and another space documentary I would recommend is the Discovery Chanel's When We Left Earth. It has a very epic and inspiring feel to it, with great footage from the NASA archives (and powerful music). I have a copy on Blu-ray.

Last edited by Space2099; 14-06-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Tags
sci fi, science fiction