Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Aliens

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
JD
Medical Officer

Default The Nostromo: A Restoration Project

And it's not even my birthday!

Click here.

Don't miss the 'Creating the Nostromo' gallery. Many of the yellow Nostromo pics which surfaced recently, plus a lot of new ones such as the black-primered ship actually getting it's first coat of yellow!

The last pic accidently links to the thumbnail - just clip the letters 'sml' off the address and it will link to the larger pic.

To paraphrase Lovejoy, sometimes it's enough just to know these things still exist!
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Communications Officer

Wow, what a fantastic link thanks JD. I had no idea that the model still existed.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks JD.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Those are some really nice pics, especially the one of the back section. Thanks for sharing the link JD.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
shadopilot
Communications Officer

The video was great. The opossum skeleton inside gave it a very 'Giger' feeling!
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Big Boris
Astrophysics Technician

Brilliant-just brilliant-

what neanderthol would leave such a work of art, out in the weather for 20 years..!!

What evers happens to the starship props from movies??
Big Boris is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boris View Post
Brilliant-just brilliant-

what neanderthol would leave such a work of art, out in the weather for 20 years..!!

What evers happens to the starship props from movies??
I may be wrong but I think the "Neanderthal" you refer to was Forrest Ackerman who personally did more to preserve SF movie & TV ephemera than anyone else on the planet. I expect if he hadnt rescued it then it would have gone to that great drydock in the sky along with 2001's Dicovery & many other such large models, sadly the sheer size of the beast prohibited optimum storage conditions, at least it survived to see an upturn in its fortunes.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Think you must mean Bob Burns? He's the big collector, and was given tons of props by Fox shortly after the film came out.
But he never mentions the craft in his book, so mebbe not.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
shadopilot
Communications Officer

I'm glad to see its getting restored. I have an older edition of Sci-Fi and Fantasy modeler with an article on the restoration of the big 'Draconia' model from 'Buck Rodgers in the 23rd Century'. Hopefully all these big old ships will get resurrected.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Bob Burns had the derelict too which also sat outside slowly disintegrating. When "Aliens" was going to be made, they borrowed the model back but it fell off the forklift when they collected it and broke in two. It appears in "Aliens" still broken although in the context of the movie, that was OK since it was supposed to be an ageing wreck.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I never quite got the state of the Derelict ship in Aliens.
Why would it be in such a bad state?
In the first film, it was so old you couldn't tell where the Jockey ended and the chair started.
But it was still in pretty good condition.
And that was despite the bad weather conditions.
Yet, only 70 years later it was obviously falling to pieces, broken and disintegrating.

Just didn't sit right with me.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
JD
Medical Officer

Cameron explains somewhere that the Derelict in Aliens had been pushed up against a rockface by a lava floe. That's why Newt's parents entered through a break and not the doorways seen in Alien. Of course they may have worked all that in because of the forklift incident. I hadn't heard that before! Dennis Skotak did mention that it was full of spiders which they had to vacuum out on the stage!

Yep, Bob Burns, though the rest of Sage's comments are on the money. If Bob hadn't taken the model it would almost definitely have been junked!

Bob is just one man. He lives in an ordinary house and takes as much of this stuff as he can get. He's getting a bit of stick on the forums after the fact for the condition of the N, but I'm sure he wouldn't have had it outside if there were any alternative. Remember it weighs something like 800 lbs; it's not exactly easy to shift!
Old 16-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think the problem is that that if the aim is to preserve it and escape the junkman, it should go to someone who can give it that care. There comes a point where something goes beyond saving and it would be better to offer it on if you want to see it preserved rather than own something that you don't have the ability to care for.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
robthom
Hydroponics Technician

What I seem to recall was that bob burns was given a bunch of the props, but he had to sign an agreement that he couldn't give or sell them to anyone else and that they had to be loaned back if Fox ever needed them again.

I think it all started from him inquiring to use a few props for his famous Halloween house event that year (79 or 80), they agreed and then ended up bringing almost everything that hadn't already been taken by the production crew. Which is why pieces like the cockpit, radar dish, and other detail bits are missing from the Nostromo model.

I seem to recall he was only expecting maybe a few costumes or set pieces for the exhibit, then a bunch of semi's showed up and brought everything including the full sized derilect, the large nostromo and possibly the rover also. A bunch of stuff.

So he suddenly had all this stuff that he couldn't afford to rent storage for, and he couldn't give them to anyone else, but that he wanted to save from scrapping. So he ended up having to keep some of the large pieces tarped outside.

Apparently it seems that he eventually got permission to donate that large Nostromo to that SFX company who's doing the resto now. And I believe I saw a picture of the Derelict also after its use in aliens, looking just as rough as the Nostromo, and that somebody was trying to restore that also.

I may have got a few detail mixed up, but I'm pretty sure that is generally what happened.
And yes, the derelict got broken when it was unloaded off the semi at burns house. Then when cameron came to reclaim props for aliens, he liked the way that it looked busted and so wrote it into the script that way.
That is also how the alien head got redesigned with the ribbing. The rib details where underneath the smooth shell on the original alien head, and the smooth shell had fallen off in transport. Cameron liked the way it looked and kept it for his redesigned costumes.

I'm as broken up (pun?) as anyone that the ship got left outside like that, its my favorite ship in all sci-fi (well that and the falcon of course). But without Bob Burns it would probably not exist at all today. He's a real nice guy, I actually emailed him at his website way back in the day and he emailed me back.

And thank you very much OP, for finding and sharing this. I've been wondering how the restoration was coming along since I first heard that the FX company in LA had acquired the model from burns way back around 2000.
I'm actually glad that they have passed it on to the current owners though. Although they seemed happy to have it, for some reason they didn't strike me as knowing what to do with it. I think they where more of a modern/computer EFX company, not really modelers. It looks like its finally in skilled and caring hands and ready to be reborn.

Last edited by robthom; 17-06-2009 at 01:25 AM.
robthom is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Big Boris
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks JD- your've explained it.

I thought the ship had been left derelict for 'x' amount of years, prior to it being found and restored-
Big Boris is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaMax View Post
Think you must mean Bob Burns? He's the big collector, and was given tons of props by Fox shortly after the film came out.
But he never mentions the craft in his book, so mebbe not.
Sorry, yes you're right I did mean Bob Burns. Another of the great "saviours" of SF memorabilia, I get the two confused, must be my age..
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
doctorwhoprops
Computer Technician

This model is fantastic
doctorwhoprops is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

That was exellent and a very interesting thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #19
JD
Medical Officer

More video of the restoration process is up on Youtube:

Old 22-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

exellent thanks ;-)

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote