Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #121
gogs100
Geological Technician

Looks like Season 2 is out there on Blu already. At only 4 discs for the entire 48 episodes, though, the picture quality must be on a par with VHS tapes.

gogs100 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #122
stiki
Geological Technician

I can confirm that the German 4 disc Blu-Ray is in Standard Definition as there are 12 episodes on each disc. (I have Volumes 3 & 4). They are perfectly acceptable as viewing copies but not up to the standard of the Network Year One release.

However the first 12 episodes of Year Two have also been issued in High Definition DVD in Germany as "Mondbasis Alpha 1" - Season 3. I've yet to purchase this title so cannot comment on quality.

Anyone else seen the German 3D Blu-Ray release of the first 4 episodes of Year One?
It's quite interesting to look at as the show obviously wasn't made for the 3D format - the moon moving through space (away from the camera was impressive) but the prints seem to be sub Network quality and although the packaging claims an English soundtrack I've yet to find it on my machine...
stiki is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #123
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiki View Post
However the first 12 episodes of Year Two have also been issued in High Definition DVD in Germany as "Mondbasis Alpha 1" - Season 3. I've yet to purchase this title so cannot comment on quality.
From Amazon.de for the relevant release : "SPACE:1999 Vol. 3 enthält die Folgen 25-36. Alle zwölf Folgen sind auf einer einzigen Disc enthalten. Daher ist das Bild nur in SD und die Bildqualität mit den vergriffenen DVDs von e-m-s identisch. Der Ton ist wahlweise in deutsch und englisch vorhanden (obwohl nur deutsch auf dem Cover steht). Es gibt noch andere Fehler auf dem Cover. Auf dem Frontcover ist Barry Morse drauf und wird namentlich erwähnt, obwohl er gar nicht in der zweiten Staffel mitspielt, dafür aber Catherine Schell (Maya) und Tony Anholt (Tony Verdeshi). Auf der Rückseite gibt es eine Inhaltsangabe, die (mal wieder) totaler Quatsch ist, und als Bildformat wird fälscherweise Widescreen angegeben, obwohl das Bildformat natürlich Vollbild 4:3 ist.
Extras gibt es keine. Schade, daß Crest/Laser Paradise so eine lieblose Veröffentlichung auf BD ablieferte."

Space 1999 vol 3 contains episodes 25 to 36. All 12 episodes are contained on a single disk. Because of this, the picture is only SD and the picture quality is identical to the standard DVDs from EMS. The soundtrack is in english and german (although it states only german on the cover). There are numerous other failures on the cover. Barry Morse is pictured on the front cover, although he never appeared in the 2nd series, being replaced by CS and TA. On the rear side is a list of contents which is complete rubbish, and it states the picture format erroneously as wide screen, even though it is presented in 4:3.

There are no extras. It's a shame that Crest/Laser Paradise have released such an uncaring product on Bluray".

In other words, avoid. I'd say avoid anything from Crest / Laserparadise, as they have released a number of substandard DVDs and blurays - Dune, Dark Star and these amongst them.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #124
stiki
Geological Technician

Quote:
I'm actually referring to the 3 disc DVD Set - 4 episodes a disc in High definition:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00A501Q2Q/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g74_ir04?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0SMDD656RDNFWAJ6HFCK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00A501Q2Q/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g74_ir04?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0SMDD656RDNFWAJ6HFCK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #125
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiki View Post
I'm actually referring to the 3 disc DVD Set - 4 episodes a disc in High definition:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00A...pf_rd_i=301128
As far as I can see, this is a standard PAL DVD, not HDDVD or Blu-ray. So I'm wondering why you think it's high definition?
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #126
stiki
Geological Technician

Quote:
As far as I can see, this is a standard PAL DVD, not HDDVD or Blu-ray. So I'm wondering why you think it's high definition?
According to "The Catacombs" the prints have been remastered and are on par with the Network Year One episodes on DVD.... I cannot confirm or deny as I have yet to buy them myself.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #127
Waldo
Alphan

Well as it's now 2014, I wonder if we'll finally see series two on bluray? Somehow I'm ready to be disappointed yet again.
Waldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #128
VoyagerOne
Hydroponics Technician

If it's a quality product and is either region free or ultimately available in North America, I don't mind continuing to wait. I think it will be worth it in the end.
VoyagerOne is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #129
wvrs158
Hydroponics Technician

"Mid-2014" is right around the corner. Yep, it's time for another update. I can only hope it's not more delays, but unfortunately I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Last edited by wvrs158; 07-01-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: type-oh
wvrs158 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #130
JuanSArnold
Alphan

great news thanks for that post..

http://www.pokiesslotmachines.com.au/
JuanSArnold is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #131
tom_k35
Alphan

Default Andercon

This was posted over at the Digital Bits last week:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 – Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 – Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 – Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention. With any luck we’ll hear something about Blu-ray then.
tom_k35 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #132
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Let's hope some positive news on this subject is indeed forthcoming, as it has been quite a wait already for an honest-to-God quality release of Y2!

Like your avatar, BTW. Always liked that design for the test-card; wonderfully dynamic...

And, a great day for Boston today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_k35 View Post
This was posted over at the Digital Bits last week:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 – Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 – Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 – Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention. With any luck we’ll hear something about Blu-ray then.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #133
Puffy_Shirt
Medical Technician

Any news for season two bluray?
Puffy_Shirt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #134
spacefan
Alphan

Default Entire Year 2 in High Definition currently streaming on Hulu

I noticed the whole of Year 2 is on hulu.com in high def! But there are commercial announcements to tolerate.

Hope the blu rays come out soon.
spacefan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #135
spacefan
Alphan

Default Entire Year 2 Currenty in High Def on Hulu.com

I thought I had discovered episodes of the second season in high definition on hulu.com. They look great but a more trained eye on this forum corrected me. They are apparently standard def.

Last edited by spacefan; 23-06-2015 at 03:19 AM.
spacefan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #136
ascari
Alphan

Second series 28 September 2015

http://networkonair.com/features/space1999/
ascari is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #137
Fenton
Chef

My hunch of an imminent announcement of series two following the 50% sale on series 1 proved correct then - mystical cosmic powers ! ;-)
Fenton is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #138
VoyagerOne
Hydroponics Technician

Glad to see that a release date has finally been announced. Interestingly enough, my friend and I just watched a Year Two episode (DVD) yesterday, and the episode was Seed of Destruction. Looking at the list of extras that are included with the BD release is "Seed of Destruction: the series two episode re-edited and re-scored as if it were made for series one". I'm looking forward to seeing how good the second year looks on BD, especially after noticing how grainy SOD looked off the DVD.

In region A, so nope, won't be ordering from the Network web-site. Will have to wait until it's available in Canada. Haven't seen any release dates for North America yet. I know I'll be extremely happy when I've got this BD set in my hands.
VoyagerOne is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote