Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Kinserfan11
Medical Technician

Default UFO movie - shooting yet?

Does anyone know if shooting has begun on the new movie? i heard it started in nov 2010 ? anyone can confirm this please?
Kinserfan11 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
tastic1
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinserfan11 View Post
Does anyone know if shooting has begun on the new movie? i heard it started in nov 2010 ? anyone can confirm this please?
Nope, and it sounds like it'll never happen....
A friend of mine works for 'New Deal' Studios who were up for the Visual effects...
Terry...
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

No news.... the sound of silence....
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Kinserfan11
Medical Technician

Wonder why?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
jimboh1
Hydroponics Technician

Website's still up, so maybe... http://ufo-themovie.com/shado/
jimboh1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Did the production for this movie fall through,did it get
shelved before it even got started ?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
No news.... the sound of silence....
I wish I knew?
Old 23-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

I hope the film still goes ahead

Last edited by Swine Flu; 26-02-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Trouble
Swine Flu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
JD
Medical Officer

Ok, do you have any hard info to back that up, or is it just baseless libelous speculation?

Because guess which one could get the forum into serious legal trouble!!
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Shame if it's been canned as done properly it could have real potential.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
PeelGodred
Alphan

I'm split on this: It's a shame it has been stopped. but also good as it prevents them from doing any damage to the classic .t.v. show.
PeelGodred is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
Thats just it though. it wouldn't have been done properly!
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
I agree with you, the potential was enormous.

Also anything that keeps GA in the news can only be good for us, there could have been all sorts of releases and re releases if the film had generated some interest.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
Thats just it though. it wouldn't have been done properly!
We have no way of knowing that- only a front view of an Interceptor was seen and it looking like a nice update to the design.
Anything produced based on an established show is going to draw howls of protest from fans. Either you have to completely recreate the canon designs or it is considered hearsy. I admit I did not care for the reimagined Thunderbirds and I think the Rhino is a poor replacement for the SPV.
The trouble is the original shows are over- the props mostly discarded, the actors aged or dead. You cannot rivet for rivet, role for role recreate a show and have it please everyone. The shows were magnificent for their time, but now watching reruns they seem quaint and a bit dated. Anybody attempting to create a movie or re imagined series based on this material I must respect- it will be three hard jobs- selling the concept to money people who prefer safe treads of what is successful today, trying to stay true to the original story and concepts of the original materials, and lastly trying to prevent being killed by fans who do not want their childhood memories raped.
The fellow who was trying to put this UFO movie together is not a scam artist- he has done some respectable work. The UFO movie site is still up but not updated.
There is a chance this project got stuck in development limbo- some films go there for years and then break free and see the big screen. Look how long the Star Trek franchise took to become real- it wandered between a series, then a movie, then a series.. It took a megahit surprise called Star Wars to get that project on track. Today we have a lot of projects which started off as an old series become big budget pictures- even Astroboy for cry'n out loud. I think there is still a chance the UFO movie could make it onto the screen- but I am patient. I had to wait many years to see Thunderbirds make it, even if I did not care for how it turned out it DID make it. UFO would make a great film if done properly, but to write it off as a scam or say it could never be done properly with so little information- well I prefer to keep optimistic about it. That Interceptor front view, from what little could be seen, looked like a good update to the classic design.

Last edited by Richard Baker; 26-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

The best way to make it is to keep it very faithful to the original show, make it even darker and more adult and to have the iconic, distinctive looking vehicles looking very similar [ the interceptors should have the big missile plus smaller guns to try and destroy the UFO's - but the UFO's should be very agile and hard to destroy so some get through ]. If they start changing things too much then they'll lose the established fanbase.

It can be done but certain things should be kept. Straker should be a blonde American, Foster should be from the UK, the settings should be the same, music should be an orchestral version of the original theme, the women with the purple wigs. All this can be kept but updated so it's not cheesy for a modern audience.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
The best way to make it is to keep it very faithful to the original show, make it even darker and more adult and to have the iconic, distinctive looking vehicles looking very similar [ the interceptors should have the big missile plus smaller guns to try and destroy the UFO's - but the UFO's should be very agile and hard to destroy so some get through ]. If they start changing things too much then they'll lose the established fanbase.

It can be done but certain things should be kept. Straker should be a blonde American, Foster should be from the UK, the settings should be the same, music should be an orchestral version of the original theme, the women with the purple wigs. All this can be kept but updated so it's not cheesy for a modern audience.
I agree.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

I see it from both sides: I do not want to see another crappy re-imagining. Sick to death of those. A continuation of the original story would be great, I think, as it preserves the original and then builds on it. This the Trek franchise did very well, and it is a good lesson to learn. On the other hand, when I see another 2 dimensional plot B movie that has aliens and UFOs fighting soldiers or cowboys pumped out of the Hollywood septic tank...geez...even a re-imagined UFO would be better than that. UFO had a good depth to it in all directions, not just a generic shoot the aliens story. No one ever did UFOs better than GA!!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Just had a look at the website. The graphics remind me a lot of the "Sumakor" graphics on the DVD of the 2009 remake of The Prisoner. I can sort of see their reasoning, in terms of secret organisations, a war with an ambiguous enemy, surveillance culture, etc. But what made the original UFO, to me anyway, was the fact that it came out of the Cold War era. I enjoyed the 2009 version of The Prisoner, but it was completely different to the McGoohan era series. Likewise, I don't know how the film makers of this UFO remake/reimagining would go on with trying to recapture a "Mindbender" or "Time Lash". That kind of "off the wall" style isn't really present in today's cinema. Also, what about the Hammond organ music? That was pretty essential to late sixties "futurism", as well as the Neru jackets and the fact that (nearly) everyone on set was smoking cigarettes. Try and do that now - well, you might get something gritty like Life on Mars, but chances are it's heading straight in the direction of Austin Powers! (ie. being ironic to retain the retro style of the old series.)
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
Doomsday
Communications Officer

These films can get stuck in "Development hell" for years.......so I suppose it's still possible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0724.JPG (19.6 KB, 99 views)
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
Kinserfan11
Medical Technician

Anyone hear anything yet if they started shooting or cast is complete?