SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Default SPACE 1999 CONTINUITY

Just browsing Space 1999 episode air dates on the below website -
- and noticed that there appeared to be a continuity gap in Year 2 - ie about a 6 month gap between episode 41 and 42 and then an 8 month gap between episode 47 and the final episode 48.

Just curious - anyone know the reason for this ? - eg did the TV channels forget to show the last episode and then realize 8 months later ?

http://www.epguides.com/Space1999/
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

I suspect as the show was syndicated, there were many gaps in the airing. Where I lived in the States at the time showings were extremely erratic. I had to scan the entire TV guide to find out it and when an episode was airing.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
I suspect as the show was syndicated, there were many gaps in the airing. Where I lived in the States at the time showings were extremely erratic. I had to scan the entire TV guide to find out it and when an episode was airing.
You are correct
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Season 2 had several breaks of transmission in the ATV region, everytime I thought it was all over another few episodes would suddenly appear - always labelled as ' A New Series' instead of 'Still more of series 2 that we forgot we had'!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They certainly could have left some of it hidden. This must be a very frustrating thing for the makers of shows and the audience obviously. You want to tell a story that people want to hear and the middle man/woman, screws the story up by viewing it here and there when it suits. Still happens in AU all the time. House is one example, and Heros, and Desperate housewives. Then there's Lost, Torchwood, Dr Who, and the list goes on
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Huntsman
Astrophysics Technician

I was fortunate to be blessed in a city that transmitted Year 2 in its' entirety in '76. Every week for 24 weeks and then they reran them...
Huntsman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

I wish I was as fortunate as you guys. When WPIX (New York) started running the show in 1975, after airing about a half dozen episodes, they re-ran "Matter Of Life & Death" & "Voyagers' Return". The way they handled Year Two was even worse. Quite suprising since the show did VERY well in that market.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
blondgod
Geological Technician

I also was fortunate as Y1 and Y2 ran every week. In fact, I could watch it twice every Saturday on two different stations from different cities. One station aired it at 4pm and the other at 10:30 pm. Then the entire season would repeat all over again.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondgod View Post
I also was fortunate as Y1 and Y2 ran every week. In fact, I could watch it twice every Saturday on two different stations from different cities. One station aired it at 4pm and the other at 10:30 pm. Then the entire season would repeat all over again.
The local station in Connecticut (WTNH, Channel also ran SPACE:1999 but, just for the first year so, I was able to catch it twice on Saturdays. The station seemed to pay the show absolutely no mind (Connecticut is NOT a big sci-fi state, even now) to when they aired the show. The first run, they aired at Saturday nights at 7pm. Then, when the repeats started, they bounced it all over the place. So much so, that the TV Guide couldn't keep up with the changes as it was just stuck anywhere (or so it seems) to fill dead air. Totally by accident, I caught a rerun of "Full Cicle" at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. They hacked up the episode so bad, that a brief sequence from "Guardian Of Piri" ended up cut into it. I don't know who did their editing but, they did a crappy job.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
darthgarlic
Hydroponics Technician

When I was a kid I used to go to Quebec every summer for a couple of months. When 1999 was being aired for the first time I was stuck watching it in french for 8 weeks having to guess what was happening.
darthgarlic is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I was fortunate to be blessed in a city that transmitted Year 2 in its' entirety in '76. Every week for 24 weeks and then they reran them...

I was lucky too that both Season#1 in 1975-1976 all 24 episodes every week for 24 weeks and then they reran...then Season#2 in 1976-1977 all 24 episodes every week for 24 weeks and then they reran.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote