Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Default Building some of the more obscure Thunderbird Vehicles... advice please...

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller.

My friend and I have to construct a series of models from the Gerry Anderson show. Not the usual Thunderbird Vehicles themselves, but a host of the guest vehicles.

The ones we know we are defintely going to do are as follows:

OCEAN PIONEER

CRAB LOGGER

SEASCAPE

THE MARTIAN ROCKET PROBE (AND THE TRANSPORTER)

In terms of scale, apart from Ocean Pioneer, we are looking at around 20mm approximately. It is hard to guage exactly how big the actual vehicles would be at this scale though we are guessing around three to four feet for Crablogger.

We have plenty of sources for pictures from the various japanese books, as well the DVD's of course - what we are hoping we might be able to get from our fellow model makers and fandersons here is advice if anyone has ever attempted these particular models before.

SeaScape is a hard one because all the shots are pretty much from the same angle. For Crablogger, the obvious choice would be to mount the vehicle structures on two tank kits, and for Ocean Pioneer we have a couple of different Naval kits to use for the hull. The Martian Rocket transporter, which I know is also seen as a firetruck in other episodes, is one of the hardest.

Any advice / suggestions would be gratefully appreciated and if anyone has made them before, please let me know. i am ploughing through all the pics on here to see if I can find any.

Thanks

Azanti, long time Thunderbirds fan, London
Azantihighlightning is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

i think i should also add here, that while we are looking to get the look and the feel of the originals as possible we are not looking to remake them with all the same parts etc as the originals.

These are for a game convention at a show, so they have be handled. (Shock horror I hear you all cry!)

We also have to get them all done by next April, no easy feat.

Any tips or ideas at all would be welcome.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azantihighlightning View Post
Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller.

My friend and I have to construct a series of models from the Gerry Anderson show. Not the usual Thunderbird Vehicles themselves, but a host of the guest vehicles.

The ones we know we are defintely going to do are as follows:

OCEAN PIONEER

CRAB LOGGER

SEASCAPE

THE MARTIAN ROCKET PROBE (AND THE TRANSPORTER)

In terms of scale, apart from Ocean Pioneer, we are looking at around 20mm approximately. It is hard to guage exactly how big the actual vehicles would be at this scale though we are guessing around three to four feet for Crablogger.

We have plenty of sources for pictures from the various japanese books, as well the DVD's of course - what we are hoping we might be able to get from our fellow model makers and fandersons here is advice if anyone has ever attempted these particular models before.

SeaScape is a hard one because all the shots are pretty much from the same angle. For Crablogger, the obvious choice would be to mount the vehicle structures on two tank kits, and for Ocean Pioneer we have a couple of different Naval kits to use for the hull. The Martian Rocket transporter, which I know is also seen as a firetruck in other episodes, is one of the hardest.

Any advice / suggestions would be gratefully appreciated and if anyone has made them before, please let me know. i am ploughing through all the pics on here to see if I can find any.

Thanks

Azanti, long time Thunderbirds fan, London
Well Azanti, to the forum. I think that the back tank on the Crablogger is a tiger joe tank, converted from the road layers in End of the Road and Atlantic Inferno. I'm not sure how big it is, but I'm sure that one of the guys on this forum has one. As for the MSP, the main body is made of either Balsa wood or MDF, and the cab is a type of plastic.

I can do Screengrabs of seascape and ocean pioneer for you later on today.

George
Captain Hanson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

The MSP rocket, well I can't help you there. I think it just may be some kitchen roll glued, painted and decals added. The nose cone is probably made of wood, because it floats.

George
Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Yep, Azantihighlightning !

Interesting challenge you have there. What kind of show are you building them for ? Sounds cool !

A couple of pointers - the Tiger Joe tanks which are used on the rear of the Crablogger are about 50mm long, excluding the gun barrel, so two of these for length, plus the front part of the vehicle would make the original Crablogger something like 2.5 metres long (any better offers guys ?). Obviously if you're making a smaller version, you wouldn't be able to use the same Tiger Joe toys.

The original Martian Rocket Transporter would probably have been about
80mm-120mm long, with some kit parts as dressing (I think Captain Hanson might be wrong in suggesting the rocket was made of cardboard - plastic tubing would be more likely !).

Sadly there's not much reference in terms of blueprints for these vehicles, so it looks like you'll have to start from scratch. As long as you get the basic shapes right hopefully the rest will follow. Good luck !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Er.. AT, you might want to revise some of those measurements. 50mm is just under two inches. 80mm to 120mm is three to four inches. You might want to add a zero to all the figures or convert to cm.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Er.. AT, you might want to revise some of those measurements. 50mm is just under two inches. 80mm to 120mm is three to four inches. You might want to add a zero to all the figures or convert to cm.

Oops ! Never did get the hang of this metric stuff ! With the added zeroes would these measurements be about right ?
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Roughly.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Default THANKS GUYS

Guys,

Your comments are much appreciated and the tips are all useful.

Screen grabs would be most welcome, as would shots of people who have made their own versions.

I really love this site - has be said, its nice to find a place with such a sense of camradarie and friendship. Great stuff.

I am diving into this project after a death in the family, so it's great to get such a great response, which probably means more to me than it may do to you.

On the game - I ran the 'Thunderbirds' game, way back at the first Salute I ever ran a game at, in 1990. It is for this convention - salute.co.uk

The players, each control a Thunderbirds crew member, though some also get to control Lady P, Parker and Brains. The board is a continous layout of various terrain types all linked together representing one location to look at but in reality representing different places all over the world. In the game, International Rescue have fallen on hard times, after a couple of disasterous rescue attempts resulted in a huge loss of life. This time they need to get it right and regain their status in the public eye. The hood is trying to stop them and arranges for a series of disasters to occur at the same time. The players have to decide which are the most important and what should take priority and with which craft. The rules are updated from the 1990 version, but everything involves time, the more time you spend, the more you can do, but the less you have left and the more that happens.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

I haven't been able to find any other attempts by anyone on any of these models on here.

If anyone knows of any here or on other sites, please let me know.

The more links the better.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

With the exception of the MPS (which is presumably being featured on the transporter in another thread) I don't recall ever seeing any of the above here.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I did loads of screengrabs of ocean pioneer, some can be seen here,

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...=ocean+pioneer

although I did the worst thing at the time and delete some from my photobucket album when I ran out of space
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Nice Crablogger pic here http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ght=crablogger

Mike
Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Thanks Mike, those are great,

could do with some grabbed shots of the rest of Crablogger 1 and Seascape.

This is all really helpful, as myself and the other model builder (Sexy grunge chick model maker no less) are meeting on Friday to go over everything.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

seascape and some of crablogger

incase anyone was wondering i use vlcmedia player for the screengrabs which is available to download free.

Mike

Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

THANKS MIKE,

This will be invaluable - much appreciated!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Seascape did burn well didnt it...
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Yes indeed, not much chance of finding the original of that model in someone's loft. I suspect that what was left of it went on the skip.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician

Note the mistake on the seascape photos that the pod is back inside TB2 instead of in the water.

George
Old 15-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

How funny, maybe its retractable. lol.