Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Default Top 75 spaceships in movies and TV

From this thread

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/2865...es_and_tv.html

Personally I think there's some odd choices. The Solar schooner from Episode II of Star Wars, the Warp Sled from Star Trek:TMP, the Klingon Tanker and Andorian cruiser from Enterprise.

Nice to see the Eagle at number 2 though.

However, there's some appalling omissions.

Absolutely nothing from B5, Stargate (either SG-1 or Atlantis), nothing from Farscape, no Cygnus or Palamino from the Black Hole, no Galactica from either version or Pegasus. No War Rocket Ajax from Flash Gordon.

Gerry's work is well represented though.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

All of them are great.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

".... most of the Eagles were built by Arthur 'Wag' Johnson"

I wonder what Arthur 'Wag' Evans would feel about that if he were still with us?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

A very eclectic selection to say the least, but it is good to see such a wide variety, and many of them not the 'typical' ones you'd expect. It is great to see a link to the Eagle Forum, and due credit given to SAW's models.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Plenty of ships there I had totally forgotton about - I would include a fair whack of them in my Top 75, but the order would change substantially.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yeah, not certain what the criteria is for judging them. I can't believe that many of those take precedent over the ones that have been missed. No Orion or Moonbus but several that look like cheap Christmas tree ornaments. Weird.
Old 21-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

I get the impression that was just his personal choice, sans criteria (cf his reference to obscure UFO relic).

Does anyone want to run a poll of forum members' top 10? I'd do it, but my brain is full.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
".... most of the Eagles were built by Arthur 'Wag' Johnson"

I wonder what Arthur 'Wag' Evans would feel about that if he were still with us?
or, for that matter, what would Brian Evans have to say?
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I'm amazed that some of the most famous are a fair way down the list. I can agree with many of the choices (to be included) but not so much the order.

Nice to see Alien/s and GA represented well. Even the Betty gets a look in, understandably.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

ld have liked to have seen 'The Betty' fron Alien resurrection in there be it not a mainstream choice, always loved its design and would love to see some good pictures of the model

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Top 75 Spaceships....by what rules?

Eagle should be listed as number 1 above the U.S.C.M. Cheyenne Dropship.

Majority of the list is good choices....however some are not worthy.

Where is the Orion III Shuttle & U.S.A.A. Clavius Base ROCKET BUS(Moonbus) from 2001:ASO,
Mongo Aerial Navy Imperial Flyer (FLASH GORDON 1979-1982 Animated TV Series),
Athena Class starship (next generation design of the Rodger Young Corvette Transports) from the (Starship Troopers movies), Mobile Infantry Dropship(Starship Troopers movies),
ULTRA PROBE from "Dragon's Domain",
Lightship ALTARES from Day After Tomorrow:Into Infinity(1975),
Swift("Brian The Brain"), Super Swift("Bringers of Wonder"), Mark IX Hawk("Wwar Games"),
Jupiter 2 & Spacepod(Lost In Space 1965-68 TV series),
Space Academy-Star Command[Space Academy-Jason of Star Command(1977-80 TV series)],
Seeker[Space Academy-Jason of Star Command(1977-80 TV series)],
Starfire[Jason of Star Command(1978-80 TV series)],
Colonial Battlestar(1978-80 TV series), Cylon Basestar(1978-80 TV series),
Omega Class Destroyer(Babylon 5), Starfury(Babylon 5/Crusade), Thunderbolt(Babylon 5/Crusade)
Refit-Enterprise ENTERPRISE CLASS NCC-1701-A(Star Trek:The Motion Picture 1-6 movies),
AMBASSADOR Class Enterprise NCC-1701-C(Next Gen episode"Yesterday's Enterprise"),
Danube-Yellowstone Runabout(Star Trek: DS9),
Star Trek Shuttlecrafts: Class F (TOS-TAS), Aqua shuttle(TAS), Long-range Copernicus(TAS),
Heavy Armored(TAS), Type-5 A (Star Trek 5:final Frontier),
Type-7(NG), Type-9(Star Trek Voyager),
Type-11(Star Trek Insurrection), Argo cargo class(Star Trek Nemesis)
Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser, Klingon K'T'inga class Battlecruiser(Star Trek 1 & 6 movies), ARK(Starlost),
E.D.F. Super Space Battleship Andromeda class(Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato)
????

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 21-07-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additions
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

And no refit Enterprise either. Its an odd mix to be honest, but as has been said, good to see so many ships from the Anderson series.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Unfortunately iconic, realistic and artistically pleasing are three separate subjects.
Old 21-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
JonesTheFilm
Travel Tube Technician

I'm surprised by the lack of any Babylon 5 ships. The Starfury is a wonderful space fighter design worthy of a top ten place IMHO. I'm also quite surprised at the number one slot. Sure the Marine dropship is a cool design but I think there are many others in that list that beat it, and that's not even allowing for the omissions.

But then these kind of lists can never please everyone.
JonesTheFilm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

We should be flattered. It's based on Thunderbird 2. Jim Cameron was a fan and pitched to direct a Thuinderbirds movie but was turned down. That was a mistake. Anyway, green Dropship, ancillary vehicle held in the pod. It even has a number two on the side.

Old 21-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
JonesTheFilm
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
We should be flattered. It's based on Thunderbird 2. Jim Cameron was a fan and pitched to direct a Thuinderbirds movie but was turned down. That was a mistake. Anyway, green Dropship, ancillary vehicle held in the pod. It even has a number two on the side.
Wow, I'd never made that connection before. That's cool. Wonder what a Cameron directed Thunderbirds would have been like...

I think I'd still promote the other pod-carrying Anderson vehicle to the number one slot though.
JonesTheFilm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default James Cameron Thunderbirds movie would have been a winner

Originally Posted by DX-SFX:
"...We should be flattered. It's based on Thunderbird 2. Jim Cameron was a fan and pitched to direct a Thunderbirds movie but was turned down. That was a mistake. Anyway, green Dropship, ancillary vehicle held in the pod. It even has a number two on the side."

Thanks again, DX-SFX.
I never knew James Cameron wanted to direct a Thunderbirds movie or that his Cheyenne Dropship was a salute to Thunderbird 2.

If only someone could convince James Cameron to Reboot the THUNDERBIRDS movie franchise....
as they recently did with the Christian Bale BATMAN franchise movies after the bad Batman & Robin movie in 1997?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 21-07-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I tell you a story which'll surprise you. When the Thunderbirds Movie was first being talked about, Jim Cameron approached Gerry about directing it because he's a huge Thunderbirds fan and had some great ideas. Gerry basically turned him down without even really being aware who he was or what he'd done. If this seems incredible, consider that Gerry had not even seen Star Wars until Steve Begg lent him the video just prior to Space Precinct in early 1994. This is partly why, with all due respect, Gerry has been left behind by modern science fiction. Gerry is not particularly a sci fi fan beyond his own product. To this day, and I'm sure there are many who will back me up, I still don't think he completely understands what made his programmes popular.

One can only dream of what a Thunderbirds movie by Jim Cameron could've been compared with the arse gravy that we got.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 21-07-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that story. I remember reading Gerry's brief column in the kids magazine 'Look-in' just after Star Wars came out and I seem to remember him saying that he was actually bored by the slowness of the first half of the film, but much more taken by the action towards the end.

In other words, I'm pretty sure he had seen SW at the time.

Still, I agree with your summing up.

Phil.

PS - was wondering when 'Thunderbirds movie' and 'number 2' would feature together.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'm just recounting the story as it was told to me. I'll tell you the context. Steve Begg was asking Gerry what sort of FX he wanted in Space Precinct. Did he want Star Wars type motion control effects or Space 1999 type of in camera effects? Gerry was a bit stumped to answer so I believe it might actually have been Steve's friend Mark Woollard who lent Gerry the tape (they'd both worked for Gerry previously on Terrahawks, Dick Spanner and a number of TV commercials). I was told he hadn't seen the film at all but quite happy to concede that may well have been a bit of embellishment. You know how these stories get told. Still interesting either way.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 21-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.