Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Wardster
Computer Technician

Default SHADO Jet -- based on Mike Trim's concept art

Howdy, folks. I recently finished up a large scratch-built model that some of you might enjoy seeing. It's a jet model, which is based on concept art once drawn by Mike Trim. My understanding is that originally, Mr. Trim intended the design to become the Seagull X-Ray jet, as seen in the Anderson show UFO ... but that show's Powers That Be felt it was best to go in another direction, entirely ... so that particular design was never used in any of the Anderson shows. A more mild-looking, less military-looking aircraft design was built for use in the UFO show. Personally, while I understand the needs of a script simply have to take precedence in these cases ... I still like the original concept a lot better! The original concept art just looked so darn COOL that it eventually found its way onto my "Must Build" list -- nudging and bumping other projects out of its way, to get to the head of the list!

There are a few more images of various parts of the model, on this PhotoBucket page:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...atchbuilt-Jet/

If you have a copy of the #53 issue of the older (1990s) magazine version of "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller," you can look on page 16 to see the concept art I used to build my big model. The model I built is essentially a composite of the three views -- look closely, for instance, and you can see in the view at the top that Mr. Trim had hinted at the bulges I built over the engines. As much as possible, I tried to be true to what I was seeing in the three drawings -- even tried to keep the proportions of the panel lines shown "accurate". I did make a few adjustments and tweaks, here or there ... but mostly stuck to the artwork. It was great artwork, to begin with ... so I didn't see much need to invent things as I went.

Folks who haven't seen the model in person might wonder how large or small it is. You can get an idea of its relative size, by checking out the tiny image on this site:

http://www.scififantasymodeller.co.uk/index.php

... where you'll see someone holding something ridiculously large. (It's 45" inches long!)

Much more info about this model can be seen in the upcoming (#14) issue of SF&FM -- I don't have my "as printed" copy yet (I'm located in the US), but from an almost-ready, laid-up version of what I sent them, it looks like the article runs for ten full pages.

The editors were kind enough and generous enough that they gave me free rein on how to write about it. I decided to reverse a common trend: I talked more about the underlying theory of building models from things like concept art -- so, it's sort of a generic article in its application to other folk's "But how am I going to figure out how to build it?" projects. At least, that's the intent ... I'll leave it to others to decide how well I met my intended goal.

After nine months of hard work, I'm pretty crispy / toasty / burnt out on this model, at this point ... so I won't say much more about it (unless folks ask about it?) ... but I do want to note that I can't wait to see that issue ... mostly 'cause of all the other cool articles in it! It looks like it's gonna be a very cool issue. Can't wait for it to show up, so I can clear a nice big block of time, and "read everything"!

The one big thing I do want to say here, about the model is: "No fair hating me for the paint job"! (Well, okay, if you must!? But hopefully, no one will?!) The article goes into a bit of the explanation behind why I went with a dark, metallic, vaguely military "look". The sort of greenish brownish tint, as seen in these non-color-adjusted, low-res photos isn't quite what the model itself looks like, in person. It's more of a dark metallic gray.

Related to that "no fair hating me for the paint job" idea: when you see the full-size front page of that "Lateral Modelling" article, feel free to mentally caption it as "Six PM on Deadline's Eve ... who needs sleep!?" (You'll see what I mean, when you notice that the model looks like it's mostly painted ... but the exhaust bits are not attached, and quite a few touch-ups with auto body filler are evident and need to be sanded down, before more coats of paint could go on the model; and I could quickly install an electronic's rat's nest (for engine lighting) and then, finally ... take some final photos, and call that one done!)

Anyway ... I hope at least some of you folks enjoy checking out those build photos!
Wardster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

That looks absolutely stunning. Excellent execution of a fantastic design.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

I'm sure there are more than a few forum member modellers here who can relate to your "must burn the midnight oil to meet screaming deadline" woes! But you've done a terrific job, Ward!
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

A nicely designed aircraft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Transporter
Life Support Officer

A perfect conversion of a great design! Congratulations on this marvellous job! The size is huge, wow! Looking forward to the "final" fotos.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
aus eagle
Chef

great work anyone who can scratchbuild that good is real ace in my books
aus eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Amazing work. Wish I could do that, but the size is something I could not cope with either.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

That's a superb model. Saw and read your article in the latest issue. As it happens I do like your paint job and the colour.

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 22-07-2009 at 12:34 PM.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Wow that looks fantastic! mate.
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Excellent

I do quite like the stealth style colour, the original UFO planes seemed to have a standard mix of white, red and silver, which wasn't that striking.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Fantastic! Love it. Looks like the offspring of a B-1 and an SR-71. Great achievement making it from what I presume was minimal reference material.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i would like to echo all the previous comments , a really good build up of a really cool looking craft
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
Wardster
Computer Technician

Thanks much for all the kind words, guys! It means a lot!

Glad no one wants to string me up for not going with the standard UFO colors. If I ever repaint the model, it'll probably get me in trouble: I suspect I'd go totally ballistic with paint job #2!? But for now: it will stay "as is". Too many other projects on my plate, to be worrying about revising it, for now.

As far as reference materials go ... what I worked from was one image, as seen on the top of page 16, from issue #53 of the older (1990s) SF&FM magazine. I laid that magazine out, next to the model, in one of the photos above (4th photo from the top). What that one image had was a composite black-and-white sketch of how Mike Trim envisioned the jet. That one image included three different views: a straight-on side view (mostly an outline); a straight-on front view (with slight differences evident on port and starboard sides -- which I took to be intentional "choices," not drawing mistakes); and a detailed three-quarters view of the design.

One thing I mentioned in the article is that I'm still mostly chicken of going out of my way to watch most of the shows some folks take for granted, since they got to see them when they were kids. I missed all of them except for one show (Space Precinct); and recently watched all of Stingray. Saw a few episodes of some of the others, in the months since I first wrote that text: Joe 90, Thunderbirds ("best of" DVD), Secret Service, and Terrahawks, along with Supercar and Fireball XL5. Two things (besides "time"!) keep me from just sitting down and watching all the DVDs I picked up: one, I'm still a bit wary of all the over-inspiration those shows look like they can toss my way, whenever they want to; and two, having come to the last episode of Stingray in a short period of time just sucked! Now I know why folks seem to be so gung-ho about wishing more episodes had been made, of various shows. So ... I'm watching a few eps, here or there ... but taking my time about it, and just enjoying seeing them.
Old 22-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Excellent

I do quite like the stealth style colour, the original UFO planes seemed to have a standard mix of white, red and silver, which wasn't that striking.

Awesomeness! Thanks much! And you've made me think that if I ever got a wild hair towards doing up some sort of a logo on the craft -- it seems like it needs something, but I just ran out of time! --, that maybe the color scheme for that "logo" or design could be a nod to the standard SHADO colors?
Old 22-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
Guest01
Alphan

yeah mate really nice job there.you can see the resemblance of the spj in the design.Are you going too or have you started on any other designs?
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

That's a beautifully executed scratch build there.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by areteecee View Post
yeah mate really nice job there.you can see the resemblance of the spj in the design.Are you going too or have you started on any other designs?
Again ... "thanks, guys! Thanks a lot!"

Apologies in advance in case I'm not quite understanding your question correctly ... but if you are asking if I'm working on taking another rarely-modelled subject that has little in the way of documentation, and trying to build something fairly accurate from it ... yeah, I am.

I tend to work on many projects at once: alternating between several. After spending most of nine months (I had two others going, for the first three or four months, as I recall it off-hand) working on that big (45 inches long! Yikes! It's ridiculously big!) SHADO Jet model, I put about four models on my plate, at once. (Counting a Deal's Wheels VW Van kit, that I plan to have some real fun painting. I love those 1970s 'toon car kits! And the 'planes, too!)

Anyway ... there's three Anderson-related projects being worked on, as moods move me:

The only scratch-built model (of the three below) is a guest sub from Stingray. It was another "gotta build that" on first sight kind of thing. The initial "figuring out the shape" work is mostly done; and the actual model itself is fairly far along.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=8338

Besides that project I'm working on a futuristic cop car, as seen in Thunderbirds.

http://coffincorner.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=9916

And there's a quickee kit-bash that's fairly far along, too; a jet model as seen in a Joe 90 episode.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=8747
Old 23-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #18
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

That looks like a classic Anderson series model. Its shape alone makes it quite a beauty. The scribing on the hull is excellent. Very well done.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Great link to Coffincorner, Wardster ! Enjoyed reading the comments about your build projects - hopefully it might have sent a few people over to look at ETDC as well !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardster View Post
I love those 1970s 'toon car kits! And the 'planes, too!)
An exceptional group of models! Thanks for sharing!
Got a chuckle out of the 70's 'toon car kits you mentioned, I listed a 1976 Monogram VANBULANCE on the 'Bay last week! Goes off tonight, and I'm starting to wish I'd kept it!
Cheers, I6
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote