Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default Outcasts-any good?

Well, I've watched the first episode of the BBC's 'much hyped' new sci-fi series and trying to watch the second ep, but must admit, I'bored already! Maybe I'm too old or they're trying too hard! but it just won't pull me in. And it's made by the team who made Spooks (MI5 in the US I believe) which I enjoy. What does anyone else think?
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Thumbs down

It stinks doesn't it.

It reminds me of the New Caprica bits of BSG, even the colony ship reminded me of one of the 'Fleet'. But it's badly scripted and badly shot and I don't care about any of the characters.

Limp.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Yep, that about sums it up-
Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
steve36uk
Communications Officer

15 minutes I gave it the lost the will to live-yeah i couldn't help thinking "New Caprica" especially with Jamie Bamber in it. Also remarkable the number of english accents,esp East london accents that have made it to Carpathia!
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Totally agree. No BSG, not even as good as Caprica. Not for me thanks.

Despite having the full BSG on DVD, started watching it tonight on the new Sky channel ( Atlantic? )

Isn't it weird when you have a DVD, but then you happen across it on TV and will then stay up to stupid O clock to watch it!
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I got the impression purely from the trailer that there wouldn't be too much science fiction content and it would be more about the interaction between the characters which could take place anywhere - so didn't bother watching it.

Sounds like I was right not to waste an hour of my life!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

Typical BBC 'SF' - or rather their idea of it, as it seems there's not a strong SF / Fantasy fan on the production side. By that I mean producer/s, director, scriptwriter. I could be wrong as I haven't checked.
My wife and 11 year old son both thought it could have been set anywhere.
Saying that - I didn't watch the second episode last night.
It seems to have a Kim Stanley Robinson 'Red Mars' feel to it - all about the political and personality conflicts of settlers. Okay, we had a 'white out' weather pattern which was basically a very small sandstorm - but there's (so far) nothing in the way of conflict with the widerness.
There's a gun ban (why they needed guns to settle a benevolent planet creates a big ?) but I guess that's only there so it can be lifted or rather argued against / broken later on in a revolution.
There was a little exposition about the governer putting people to death - interesting - but if that were a Canadian or U.S. show this would have been shown in flashback, upping / chaning the pace and showing character rather than telling.
I agree with the comments here - so many English London lads about. It was slow and monotonous.
Leaving the kid to follow them back to the settlement so he could turn around and recite 'Tiger Tiger!' was contrived and badly blocked out.
For crying out loud - a little while ago before the kid went to sleep his dad was outside the tent by the lakeside. Then, he's told by the woman that shot and killed him that 'Your dad had to go away,' or something along those lines.
Then we see a typical drystone grave? Don't they think for one minute the kid would have wondered what the hell was going on, and questioned the grave?
Perhaps there's something in the planet's surface that will bring Bamber's character - or something like him - back to life, with his ideals and determination to continue his conflicts and convince his followers. But I guess that's just a little too SF or rather religious and not political enough for this show, as I saw an antagonist in a life pod during the trailer for the second episode.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Sorry, gave up on this - 'EastEnders in Space' anyone?
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Did Bamber die? Can't blame him from getting the hell out of the series asap
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I think it's a touch of "me too" at the BBC - it looks like the producers have seen series like BSG and thought "We can do that!", and then in an effort to make it appeal to the widest number of viewers keep the science fiction element to a bare minimum.

I remember reading somewhere that this was going to be "Blake's 7 for the 21st Century" (uh-huh ), but despite this and all the other pre-transmission hype, it really didn't do it for me - the scripting seemed rather obvious and it really could really have been set anywhere - Saturn, Swindon ... anywhere beginning with "S", for example.

I think I'll let Mr. Horse sum it up ...

Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

I watched The Deep last year and was disappointed and now this - I won't be staying for the end this time
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Well, I'm going against the flow here. I thought it was ok. Well done to the BBC for showing some more sci - fi on TV.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
alfalfa
Communications Officer

It is actually a disgraceful waste of money. Eastenders in space actually sums it up.

If you are going to do scifi, do scifi, with a decent precept and half a plot. (we only ever get half a plot as scifi fans). If you want to do a soap do a soap.

If there was ever a show that looked like it was developed by a commitee this is it. The BBC has to accept that it cannot do sci fi unless it it made independently, give Ian M Banks one tenth the money this cost and he would come up with something that could have been filmed for half the cost and would have been worthwhile.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

The irony is that it's made by the 'Spooks' team and Spooks is actually more Sci-fi than Outcasts! I mean all that advanced spy technology that actually works-not far fetched at all!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
apollo
Hydroponics Technician

um. i quite like it too.. at least i'll give it some time to see whats going on. reminds me a bit of the old BBC's moonbase 3
apollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

It was terribly slow and unoriginal and very, very like "The Deep" that has been mentioned before. It felt like somebody had taken the "off world colonies" element of Bladerunner and substituted the word "clones" for "replicants". Even the outcast leader had a Roy Batty feel about him by being notably more mercifully human than the human colonists, even down to the relationship to the colonist leader, "I want to meet him", "Who is my Father ?" "Why did you make us" etc.
I cannot say it is really "bad" , the effects (as few and brief as they are) are well done and subtle . But the accents grate terribly, "Eastenders " obviously have survival skills well above that of the average human being to manage to get put on the list of evacuees ahead of brilliant scientists, doctors , politicians and very,very rich people. And the characters were straight out of the casting bin ,by the numbers , their internal conflicts predicable and there was something so flat and solemnly serious about the dialogue ("its more bad news" "God rest their souls "etc ) that I started to hit the remote button and skip about 20 minutes in both times.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Hmmm, it seems that many 'modern' actors-can't 'act' when it comes to accents these days!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
healvis
Communications Officer

I think the biggest problem with it is the S-L-O-W pace of the editing coupled with what sounds like a crap library sound track. Also I'm not 100% sure but is that Earths moon they have cut & pasted around Carpathia?
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I haven't seen much of it in total.
Most of the first episode.
I didn't go back for more.
I just sat thinking "why is this set on another planet?"
They could easily have done it on Earth after a plague has killed 99.9% of the population.
Couldn't they?

*cough*...Earth2!!!
Did it better as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

"Outcasts" has become an outcast. Apparently the rating are so poor its been stripped off its peak viewing time slot and moved way off piste. Those who are desparate can pick it up on the BBC play again service on line. Its a shame they could not get it to work as this means funding for more sci fi programs are going to get a battering again in view of this failure.
If I'm honest I really would like a really good sci fi series to watch again. Theres been a bit of a drought since old BSG flew off into the sunset. I tried to stick with Outcasts but it literally just sent me to sleep. It just didn't seem to work well at all. Contrast that with "Primevil" which seems to have got considerably better and more interesting. The way they managed to tie up the missing brother, the return of an old hero from the last cast and an ongoing mystery was really well done.
Oh, I also went to see "Paul" last night and really enjoyed it, despite some sniffy reviews. Great,great fun, with lots of clever refferences to all our old sci fi film favorites, as equally good as Galaxy Quest.

Last edited by Known Space; 17-02-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote