Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Alpha Base NUCLEAR GENERATING AREA set?

Did you like the Season#1 Alpha Base NUCLEAR GENERATING AREA set?

Sadly, it was only seen in "Force Of Life" and "Alpha Child".

I think it is better than the Star Trek:Next Generation or original STAR TREK Main Engineering Sets. Do you?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 24-07-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: addition
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

I like it but normally you would want some distance between the control room and the reactor core. In normal nuclear plants, there are the control room in one part of the complex and the core in a protective dome. If they were dumping the waste, I can see it done like that in "Bringers of Wonder". In fact, at the Yucca Mountain facility, they were going to dump the waste in special containers like in Waste Area 2, but one of the concerns were that magnetic radiation can start a chain reaction like in "Breakaway". Plutonium, Neptunium,and Uranium do have magnetic properties to it.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 23-07-2009 at 09:06 PM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Mind you, wasn't it thoughtful of the designers to think of a nuclear reactor you can push to one side for a quick game of Basketball!

Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
ĮguiaLusa
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I like it but normally you would want some distance between the control room and the reactor core. In normal nuclear plants, there are the control room in one part of the complex and the core in a protective dome...
It is true eaglewingone, but it is one of the best scenarios created in the serie.
ĮguiaLusa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
S1999LA
Hydroponics Technician

I agree with you guys. The set design implied the right amount of danger and respect to be had for the forces contained in the heavy shielding.

I had to wonder, though, at the base layout: why did they have these potential a-bombs within the base perimeter? Maybe now-a-days, they'd put them out in the foothills of yon mountains, safe and sound?
S1999LA is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ĮguiaLusa View Post
It is true eaglewingone, but it is one of the best scenarios created in the serie.
I like it however for its aesthetic value.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1999LA View Post
I agree with you guys. The set design implied the right amount of danger and respect to be had for the forces contained in the heavy shielding.

I had to wonder, though, at the base layout: why did they have these potential a-bombs within the base perimeter? Maybe now-a-days, they'd put them out in the foothills of yon mountains, safe and sound?
They keep atomic bombs in gigantic hangars underneath the ground for gravity bombs. For ICBMs they keep it in the countryside far apart from each other to prevent a first strike hit and guarantee survival. But sometimes there are towns that are intermingled with the ICBMs.From Montana to Missouri, will be one gigantic bullseye during a nuclear attack.What will follow will be extremely heavy fallout due to the numerous ground explosions at these sites. Entire ICBM complexes and missile silos have sensitive alarm systems that are controlled at the Launch Control Center

Last edited by eaglewingone; 25-07-2009 at 10:17 AM.