Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #41
RCnut
Communications Officer

Well I just watched it and thought it was good, but then I dont sit there and overanalyze everything to an anal degree, I simply enjoy.
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #42
paulcarson
Communications Officer

Yep me too. Its entertainment after all and should be fun to watch.
paulcarson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #43
paulcarson
Communications Officer

Did anyone else think that the small spacecraft resembled the starbug from Red Dwarf at all ? It had a distinct red dwarfy flavour about it. ( no it was probably just me ! )
paulcarson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #44
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Nice Send off
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #45
RCnut
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcarson View Post
Did anyone else think that the small spacecraft resembled the starbug from Red Dwarf at all ? It had a distinct red dwarfy flavour about it. ( no it was probably just me ! )
He he yep me too.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #46
RCnut
Communications Officer

Just sitting and watching the best bits on BBC3, makes me wanna watch it from the new beginning.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #47
steve36uk
Communications Officer

The love child of Starbug and an AT AT.............
At least Russell didnt get all schmaltzy at the end-BBC website now changed for Matt Smith plus trailer for next season
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #48
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.................

I am so glad Russel T has gone....in a way he has been worse than John Nathan Turner was....though not by much. I can thank him for bringing it back and letting good writers have ago, but his contribution....nope.

What a truly messy episode.....and for me zero emotion. The death of Sheridan in Babylon 5, loads of emotion, I cried....even Rose going (first time) but this Nope.....0 The only tears I would shed over this, would be tears of frustration and disappointment.

Anyway Steve Moffat should be brilliant for this series as he wrote all the truly great episodes of the series to date imho. Lets have it darker, more serious, with aliens who are not a joke...lets bring back hiding behind the sofa through fear, not because you are laughing so hard you have gone there to wet yourself. Worst thing about Russel T and JNT was playing it for laughs..which is a crime imho.

Oh yes lets give the Daleks an excellent story where they win. Bring back the Ice Warriors, Sea Devils, Silurians, Axons, and Mondasian/Telos Cybermen.

Regards Neil
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #49
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Well, there is an old Earth saying that goes "If you can't think of anything nice to say about something then don't say it." However, I preffer "If your going to burn bridges then do it well." So here goes.
This was just dumb entertainment. Unoriginal, uninteresting, boringly drawn out (we will sing you to your end Doctor ,I wish, it was possibly the most drawn out regeneration I've ever seen !!) including the worst spaceship ever for decades on TV. And the Starwars ripoffs were ****ing painful to watch and unworthy.
These last few series and specials really have been the worst case of the "Emperors New Clothes" I've ever watched. They really do seem to believe the hype, the myth of how brilliant and successfull its been to bring back the Doctor and "regenerate" the series .
True of Eccleston.Maybe true of the first series with Tennant. But since then its just been a case of bringing back the same time and time again with until it just gets very dull.
They've substituted endless mindless action and explosion for any sense of storyline or sensible kind of plots. It becomes endlessly wearing, like the bloody music.
There used to be a great sense of anticipation about a new DW episode coming on around here and some interest . Now, most people blow it off for being what it has become.A mindless, mainstream ,written by numbers piece of over blown and over hyped programming.
Ah' how I love the smell of burning timber on a morning. It smells like victory. Yours anally a sci fi fan.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #50
w8cmp
Science Officer

Well I actually enjoyed it for a bit of light entertainment...but I'm really not sure about a 'kid' as the new Doctor...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #51
RCnut
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post

I am so glad Russel T has gone....in a way he has been worse than John Nathan Turner was....though not by much. I can thank him for bringing it back and letting good writers have ago, but his contribution....nope.

What a truly messy episode.....and for me zero emotion. The death of Sheridan in Babylon 5, loads of emotion, I cried....even Rose going (first time) but this Nope.....0 The only tears I would shed over this, would be tears of frustration and disappointment.

Anyway Steve Moffat should be brilliant for this series as he wrote all the truly great episodes of the series to date imho. Lets have it darker, more serious, with aliens who are not a joke...lets bring back hiding behind the sofa through fear, not because you are laughing so hard you have gone there to wet yourself. Worst thing about Russel T and JNT was playing it for laughs..which is a crime imho.

Oh yes lets give the Daleks an excellent story where they win. Bring back the Ice Warriors, Sea Devils, Silurians, Axons, and Mondasian/Telos Cybermen.

Regards Neil
I rest my case

Regards Mamas (Watching since Troughton)
Old 01-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #52
RCnut
Communications Officer

Blimey! Were chatting in a forum dedicated to the works of Gerry Anderson which I have grown up with and your sitting here slagging off something that has been around since 1963 and still going strong.

Do you understand what im trying to get across? Its Sci fi for gods sake!
If you want hi brow, read Asimov, this is what it is, a kids programme that has to entertain and amuse. Thats it! Isnt it?

Lighten up people, Its Christmas.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #53
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
Well, there is an old Earth saying that goes "If you can't think of anything nice to say about something then don't say it." However, I preffer "If your going to burn bridges then do it well." So here goes.
This was just dumb entertainment. Unoriginal, uninteresting, boringly drawn out (we will sing you to your end Doctor ,I wish, it was possibly the most drawn out regeneration I've ever seen !!) including the worst spaceship ever for decades on TV. And the Starwars ripoffs were ****ing painful to watch and unworthy.
These last few series and specials really have been the worst case of the "Emperors New Clothes" I've ever watched. They really do seem to believe the hype, the myth of how brilliant and successfull its been to bring back the Doctor and "regenerate" the series .
True of Eccleston.Maybe true of the first series with Tennant. But since then its just been a case of bringing back the same time and time again with until it just gets very dull.
They've substituted endless mindless action and explosion for any sense of storyline or sensible kind of plots. It becomes endlessly wearing, like the bloody music.
There used to be a great sense of anticipation about a new DW episode coming on around here and some interest . Now, most people blow it off for being what it has become.A mindless, mainstream ,written by numbers piece of over blown and over hyped programming.
Ah' how I love the smell of burning timber on a morning. It smells like victory. Yours anally a sci fi fan.
WELL SAID!!!

RTD ran out of ideas after Eccleston.
Tennant and Cribbins deserved SO much better.
It seems to me that the casting of the new Doctor is more about attracting the same sort of female teen audience as has been flocking to see the vampire teen flicks
I REALLY don't know whether I'll bother with the new series in the spring
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #54
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post

And a Master worthy of the name. Roger Delgado would never have put up with this drivel.
For a role like this, you need a proper character actor such as Derek Jacobi - particularly as he changed from Kindly Professor Yana into The Master. He was believable
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #55
RCnut
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
And a Master worthy of the name. Roger Delgado would never have put up with this drivel.
For a role like this, you need a proper character actor such as Derek Jacobi - particularly as he changed from Kindly Professor Yana into The Master. He was believable
Believable? ITS SCI FI!!!!!!!!

I'm wasting my time aren't I I think I am.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #56
steve36uk
Communications Officer

I certainly don't think this finale lived up to all the hype-"here come the time lords-bang-oh look they've gone again!",but neither does the whole revival warrant some of the slating and anti RTD vitriol that gets posted on the various chat rooms and forums-for the vast majority of people watching the idiots lantern it's must see Saturday night family entertainment-Ok it's not the same as the original series was in its prime but times change-its pulling up to 10 million viewers these days which is incredible for a brand considered a joke by 1986
Yes I think RTD was getting a bit formulaic and lazy in recent times but across all 5 seasons and all the specials I can't think of one episode I won't happily watch again-which I can't say about Trek,B5,X files,or any Anderson show.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #57
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnut View Post

It's all about how far you can stretch credibility in the name of entertainment. People just have different credibility levels. There's a difference between 'science fiction' and 'sci fi'. "Dr Who" is now firmly targetted at the Lowest Common Denominator audience. As a result, it's cringingly over melodramatic and too fast paced in an endeavour to stop the two minute attention span brigade from switching channels. It's almost trying too hard to satisfy its LCD demographic. If you want a roller coaster ride that requires you to switch off your brain, that's cool, but Dr Who never used to be like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
Yes I think RTD was getting a bit formulaic and lazy in recent times but across all 5 seasons and all the specials I can't think of one episode I won't happily watch again-which I can't say about Trek,B5,X files,or any Anderson show.
Most of those are pretty boring but not surprisingly, I wouldn't put the Anderson shows in that list.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 01-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #58
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnut View Post

For GOOD SF, Believability is the key!
I find that SF works better if there is at least some basis in reality. For example, the Pertwee-Era stories worked well because they had a basis on Earth, with a realistic Brigadier (rather than the clockwork Soldiers RTD has given us)
A bit closer to home, I'm currently working on a UFO Prequel, set in 1970, which ties several of the episodes together (Confetti-Check AOK and The Long Sleep).
Whilst I could be lazy and just make everything up, I have given myself a constraint that nothing appears in it that was not around at the time, thus a UFO is shot down by Bristol Bloodhound Missiles.
Actually, I have checked the Military details to ensure that they are as correct as I can make them, Security Permitting.
This 'Real' world then acts as a backdrop to the fantasy elements and the reader, accepting the 'Real World' elements is then more likely to suspend disbelief at the 'Fantasy'.
I've been involved with SF for a long time and I've learned that there must be Rules, whether it's that the Starship Enterprise cannot exceed Warp 6 or that Robots should obey the Three Laws.

RTD has become lazy and has disregarded the very rules that were laid down such as The Doctor being the last of the Time Lords or that the Universe where Rose ended up would be permanently sealed off from ours - Lo and behold, all of a sudden, she can jump between Universes. How many times were the Daleks wiped from existence, never to return?. OK, I know it's only supposed to be mass-market family entertainment, rather than high art but that's no reason to be lazy and dumb it down.
We saw exactly this problem with Space:1999 - Season 1 had high production values and (mainly) good writing about the Alphans and how they adapted to their situation and their search for a new home in a pitiless universe (OK, we'll ignore the issue of actors who couldn't say their lines...). Season 2 , on the other hand had a much lower standard of writing, because the idea of 'believability' went out the airlock - instead of writing about the Alphans and their situation, all of a sudden it was 'Let's kick the Alien Butt'. The Rules set up in Season 1 were thrown out and the series suffered.
I rest my case

Last edited by MkIXHawk; 01-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #59
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post

Most of those are pretty boring but not surprisingly, I wouldn't put the Anderson shows in that list.
All I'm saying is most shows,even some of our beloved Anderson ones,can have episodes that fall below par,and on re-watching-tend to get skipped
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #60
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
For GOOD SF, Believability is the key!
I find that SF works better if there is at least some basis in reality. For example, the Pertwee-Era stories worked well because they had a basis on Earth, with a realistic Brigadier (rather than the clockwork Soldiers RTD has given us)
Just been watching Pertwee era Planet of the Spiders on MSN-talking spiders and the Brig reduced to virtually a comedy foil-plus pointless endless multi vehicle chase...............Lets be honest even much of classic who is pretty naff really.
Moffat created the Clockwork soldiers-hints of the celestial toymaker methinks................